Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
15,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
State Patrol: Man Killed After Motorcycle Hits Pothole On I-394 « CBS Minnesota

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) – The State Patrol says excessive speed led to Minnesota’s first motorcycle death of the year.

Investigators say Anand Baskaran was traveling at 100 mph on Interstate-394 at Theodore Wirth Parkway in Minneapolis just before 10 p.m. Tuesday night. It’s believed the 30-year-old hit a crack in the road that sent his motorcycle out of control, throwing him to his death.

When Baskaran lost control, he was not alone, investigators say.
“We have [reports of] a motorcycle, or two motorcycles, traveling at 100 – 120 miles an hour,” said Sgt. Jason Bartell with the State Patrol.

He says that during this time of year there are lots of hazards on the roads for motorcyclists, such as snow run off that freezes at night, potholes, sand, and gravel. However, he says that there were no reports of I-394 being unsafe in the area of the crash.

“When you are driving that fast – again, it really doesn’t matter what the road conditions are like or potentially like — the results are going to be tragic at that speed,” Bartell said.

When Baskaran was found he was not wearing a helmet, but investigators did later recover one at the scene.

Baskaran was an IT analyst at 3M’s Maplewood campus, and he’s originally from East Northport, N.Y.

“No one should ever be driving at those speeds, and I certainly don’t mean to speak ill of the dead…but you should always be riding within the posted speed limits,” said Michael Berger, the former chairman of Minnesota’s Motorcycle Safety Advisory Committee.

He says training and education are the only two things that can save lives.
“If you are not properly trained or if you’ve been sitting around all winter and not riding your bike actively, you are not going to be able to deal with that,” Berger said.

The state, he added, offers classes that teach swerving, braking and avoidance skills.

“The better you are trained, the better your chances are that you’re going to get home with your bike and yourself intack,” Berger said.
Investigators want to talk with the second motorcyclist who fled the scene. The rider was reportedly wearing a helmet and riding a black Honda sport-style motorcycle.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
roffle, "when you are travelling that fast, the results are gonna be tragic"

I'm gonna sound like a dipshit here, but if that were the case, if riding that fast was always tragic when you hit anything that isn't amazing tarmac, we'd all be dead long ago.

However, his emphasis on training at the end of the article makes up for it. Without a doubt.

·
King of the Hopeless
1,132 Posts
The roads are very damaged around Southeastern PA and I am frankly terrified of the horribly poor job the road crews are doing trying to fill the holes. I am a bit scared to ride due to all of the absolutely destroyed tarmac.

·
Silent pipes take lives
12,981 Posts
So not killed by a pothole. Killed by not riding properly for the conditions.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
“We have [reports of] a motorcycle, or two motorcycles, traveling at 100 – 120 miles an hour,” said Sgt. Jason Bartell with the State Patrol.
"reports of"? Well, that sounds credible enough to me.:skeptic

**not giving a shit how this sounds**

Just what is it with 100mph? M/Cs go down the road just fine at 55mp, 75mph, even 80mph, but the shit hits the fan at 100mph! These accident reports are so ridiculously predictable.

Oh and way to deflect possible blame of the accident away from your self admitted shitty substandard road.

Not meaning to go off on a rant, but why do most all these motorcycle accident reports have to be ABSOLUTELY one way? 100mph? He was factually clocked at 100mph? Or was he "on a loud sportbike that was going really fast"? The latter doesnt quite have the PR impact as 100, does it?:hmm

·
Registered
21,263 Posts
He rode with Absolute Cycle trackdays a lot (who I used to ride with back on the east coast) and the sheer amount of people defending him is stupid. Idiot was asking for it by riding over 100mph on the streets. Fucktards.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
284 Posts
I've drove on the freeways in Arkansas and I remember a huge pot hole that was so big I still remember after 3-5 years. And I had to turn away from it. It looked like a 3rd world country in some parts, didn't really look like the waves of amber grain like in the song.

Los Angeles has alot of pot holes too and it must suck for the rich people who drive those super low exotics. I really wish Los Angeles would pave their roads to race track specifications so owners of sports cars can enjoy their cars more. Driving a sport cars on crappy roads is no fun and the worst feeling if you hit a pothole and hear a nice scrape.

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
I've drove on the freeways in Arkansas and I remember a huge pot hole that was so big I still remember after 3-5 years. And I had to turn away from it. It looked like a 3rd world country in some parts, didn't really look like the waves of amber grain like in the song.

Los Angeles has alot of pot holes too and it must suck for the rich people who drive those super low exotics. I really wish Los Angeles would pave their roads to race track specifications so owners of sports cars can enjoy their cars more. Driving a sport cars on crappy roads is no fun and the worst feeling if you hit a pothole and hear a nice scrape.
Don't take this the wrong way, but I'd love to open hand slap you right now...

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
The purpose of those hole filling crews is to make money for the cronies of the politicians.
2,000 years ago, Rome built a lot of roads. They had crooked contractors also. What the Romans did was pay the Materials and Labor costs up front. Then they paid out the profits at 5% a year. So it took 20 years for the contractor to get his full profit out of the job.
That is how you build roads that last 2,000 years. Or anything else. If the contractor laying that road knows he won't get paid if it falls apart in a few years, he will build it to last.
The 100 MPH is just a number. The results at 99 MPH or 101 MPH would have been the same. 100 MPH makes bureaucrats uncomfortable. The operator of a motor vehicle of any sort is responsible for keeping track of environmental conditions and adjusting for them. Your TC and ABS are not going to see that pothole coming and swerve to avoid it. Motorcycles ARE dangerous. You do stooooooooopid 5hit on them and you can die. He screwed up and now he is dead. Not the first and won't be the last.
Isn't there a thread on this site for riders that screwed up and are dead now?
They probably don't post much.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
I never understood this riding high speeds at night shit, and yet see so many fucking articles with riders dying after sunset and before sun up. You're taking something like riding that's inherently dangerous, and upping the danger with speed. Ok, pretty much we've all done speeding.

Then you're upping it further by riding at night at speeds where you're out-riding your headlights.

THEN this guy decides he wants to further up the risk and ride in the beginning of the year when there's all sorts of shit on the road (salt, sand, snow run off etc) and a higher likelihood for potholes...big ones. Speed. Night. Shitty roads. Any of the two of these has me on high alert on my bike, if I ride. All 3? Pfft.

His accident was no surprise. If you fuck with the bull enough, eventually you're going to get the horns.

...and wtf with the '100 mph'? The mystical magical 100 mph. No proof he was doing it. So, obviously he was doing it...it's a sport bike, after all!

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
we have no proof of his speed but we do have proof the gov isn't keeping up on road repairs.

obviously it's the rider's fault.

oh and get a load of this tidbit. I know someone that just got 2 busted rims from a pothole but guess how the city now gets out of paying for it?
they tell you it's not been reported so they're not responsible.

of course there's 0% chance you can prove it's not been "reported".

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
the only way to prove it has been reported, is if the city has put up any kind of marker on the roadway, but has not fixed it in a timely manner.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
I bent a rim on my FZ1 in a huge pot hole a few years ago, I went through the same thing, town said it wasn't reported so they weren't responsible. I called back a few days later and they still said it hadn't been reported. Fucking crooks.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Reactions: PhilB

·
You are here
3,535 Posts
...and wtf with the '100 mph'? The mystical magical 100 mph. No proof he was doing it. So, obviously he was doing it...it's a sport bike, after all!
Physics. If they know where the asphalt anomaly is, and where the bike is in relation to it, and where the rider is in relation to it the math gets simple enough that even a cop can do it.

I agree with the rest. The rider was endangering himself several different ways. The real problem is that the rider had the wrong worry. The rider was probably worried about the laws of the state of Minnesota. He should have been worried about the laws of physics. They don't pull you over or put you in jail.

I hope we're all good and careful. Our machines can deliver us from the perils of witless cagers, but they can allow us to imperil ourselves plenty.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Physics. If they know where the asphalt anomaly is, and where the bike is in relation to it, and where the rider is in relation to it the math gets simple enough that even a cop can do it.
It may be simple but it's not terribly accurate. In this particular case the reporting indicates rumor as the source not forensics.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I've seen so many new potholes in the city as of late. I was thinking of circling them with safety orange spay paint. Thoughts? Do you think they'd (DOT) fix them any quicker?

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
I've seen so many new potholes in the city as of late. I was thinking of circling them with safety orange spay paint. Thoughts? Do you think they'd (DOT) fix them any quicker?
It'll likely get them fixed more slowly if anything. If they're spray painted orange, motorists will assume that the DOT marked them and is planning on fixing them. Thus, they won't get reported.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Nobody in an uproar about the buddy he was riding/racing with that fled the scene after the guy crashed?

There are traffic cams, so traffic cam survellience can probably verify his spped at over 100mph just as the 3 witnesses who stopped said it was between 100 and 120

That road was resurfaced about 5 years ago with a 2" surface layer, I have driven on it and msot of these "potholes" are 2-3 inches deep is it, it isn't like he fell into the abyss. Not to mention they have been out patching this road amongst others when they haven't been plowing for a couple weeks now. It stands to reason if you've ridden or driven on MN roads in the early spring you know this is very common all over. The guy had numerous traffic violation citations in MN over the past two years so he has been around to know what it is about.
Scroll his facebook page and all he has on there is trackday shit and motorcycle related posts-so he obviously was an enthusiast and should have known better.

Then take into account it was about 10 pm at night and just barely above freezing.

The guy was a moroon and reaped what he sowed. One less idiot on the road making all sportbike riders look bad even to other sportbike riders.

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
do I get a tax credit if I have to do the government's job of reporting where a pot hole is for them?
I think this is consulting isn't it? when is the last time you got work done on your behalf for free?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts