Sport Bikes banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Going home from work and I get to an intersection w/ a red light, there's a bike on the right-hand side of the lane already stopped. It was a Kawi standard.

I nodded, he nodded back. I told him that I liked his bike and he just nodded again. He had the face shield down and I figured he just didn't hear me.

Light was pretty long so I made a second attempt and said, "Traffic looks pretty bad, are you going on I-95?"

He thought about it for two or three seconds and then replied, "No it's a 2000".

Total language barrier issue there. Never experienced it. It was pretty comical. I wanted to laugh but I just refrained myself out of courtesy. :lao

Has this ever happened to anyone else?

·
Registered
910 Posts
Earplugs

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Happens all the time with the people I ride with. I just got in from a night of riding with a girl I know and the entire night I didn't understand a word she said. But I'm practically deaf anyway and you have to yell at me so that I can actually hear what is being said in a normal setting.

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Eyespy said:
I figured that. He spoke with an Asian-based (Chinese, Japanese) accent. It was barely coherent between the sound of the machines and the road noise.

·
You will be missed Shawn
6,508 Posts
i wear music, people will start talking and i'm like wait, i have music and can't hear anything. drowns out the sound of the wind (of course, i"ll prolly be deaf from music, but ...)

·
F-You and Yourspace!
799 Posts
silent_R1 said:
i wear music, people will start talking and i'm like wait, i have music and can't hear anything. drowns out the sound of the wind (of course, i"ll prolly be deaf from music, but ...)
+1 I almost always ride with earphones in, sometimes people seem offended like I'm blowing them off when I explain I have headphones + a helmet on and I can't hear a damn thing they're saying. :D

·
Registered
49 Posts
I can't hear well with my helmet off and the bike running. Other guys that I ride with seem to be able to ride side by side and talk (yell) to each other. I can't understand a single word they say when somebody tried to yell at me when I'm riding beside them... How can you hear anything with a helmet on and engine running and wind noise and traffic and.... hah. Maybe I just need a hearing aid?

·
Sandbox hater!!
629 Posts
I can't ride with earphones in. I tried it and rode wayyyyyy too fast. But the only person I could understand was my best freind and riding buddie. We went every where together and put about 10000 miles in 5 months next to each other in the same lane. So we understood hand signals and crap like that. And could even understand each others muffled words. But we did work together, go to the gym together and went riding in the canyons every weekend together.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
cajunTLR said:
I can't ride with earphones in. I tried it and rode wayyyyyy too fast. But the only person I could understand was my best freind and riding buddie. We went every where together and put about 10000 miles in 5 months next to each other in the same lane. So we understood hand signals and crap like that. And could even understand each others muffled words. But we did work together, go to the gym together and went riding in the canyons every weekend together.
Did u sleep together too? :gay :lao :eek:nfloor

·
Registered
11,370 Posts
Wow I didnt realise the amount of people that listened to music. I figured I would get shunned for saying I do such things :O

I know a bit of sign language, so if someones trying to say something Il form an identifyable sentence for them to understand i cant hear them.... haha yea right... I just scream out WHAT?! then go on my merry way:D lol

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
cajunTLR said:
As long as it went no further then that...

J/K :D I wish I had a friend like that... they're hard to find

·
Registered
706 Posts
Never had this happen yet in my first season riding. Of course, the times I've been stopped next to other bikes, the only ones that would communicate anything other than a nod have been H-D riders (go figure :cheers ), and their ears aren't really covered anyway.

·
Registered
791 Posts
It's happened. I've even been asked direction by ppl in a car but couldnt understand a thing. MP3 player while riding is the best. Its O so boring without it. I rode for a week without any music, juust me, my earplugs and my thoughts. Well my brain was driving me crazy so i blew $170 on a PDA/mp3 player

Now it's almost perfect but I have a problem keeping the earplugs in after i slip my helmet on. Soon as i find the perfect way to put my helmet on, or the right earphones ill be set. Anyone have any good setups or earpieces???

1 - 15 of 15 Posts