Sport Bikes banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Erik was my MSF instructor, a CCS racer, a father, a husband , and a great guy.
His shop... Two Wheel Tek , is just around the corner from where I live. He has the type of place where he would work on race bikes, and with the same passion customize a pink Ninja 300 for a lucky girl.

Several months ago my bike broke down on my way home from work. It was 5:30 on a Saturday. I called AAA, but as a new motorcycle owner I didn't have coverage, so I agreed to pay for a tow. I called several shops that were close by to have my bike towed to, butbthey were either closed or closing soon and they all said they couldn't help me and would have to wait till Monday.

I remembered Erik from my MSF Class and gave him a call. He asked where I was and when he realized I was only 5-6 miles away, he told me to call and cancel the tow and he would come get me. I cancelled the tow, his employee was there in 10min, towed my bike tithe shop and then drove me home. Ended up being a battery issue, wouldn't take more than $30 for the tow and diagnostics. I tried to give him more $$ and he wouldn't take it so I bought a $10 t-shirt with his shop name to wear to the gym and around town.

I just found out today that he was in a tragic accident with a pickup on Oct 12th that put him in a coma and subsequent TBI. He's in his late 30's, has a wife and two young girls. I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around this. I know this shit happens every day but as a father of a young boy, the holidays approaching, and knowing how many people appreciated his love for bikes and the honesty and generosity he shared with his fellow riders, I'm sick

I don't know the details of the accident, but he apparently hit a truck and it happened on Oct 12th and I just found out today. I sold my bike soon after Erik rescued me on the side of the turnpike, so I was not so frequent in the local forum. I work in rehab and I am familiar with TBI. The family is optimistic, but as an experienced healthcare worker, I anticipate a future without the Erik we all knew.

It's horrible, there's no way around it. The family is raising money for his medical costs. I know this happens every day in every city. I'm giving money even though I am skeptical about the outcome. I don't know what else to do. I keep looking at his little girls and thinking about my son.

https://www.crowdrise.com/erikbrownsrecoveryandmedicalexpenses/fundraiser/peternmartharodrigue

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Sad story. Prayers to the family.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
I hate these stories but they need to be told. Riding is dangerous no matter your level of experience :( Everybody stay alert as best you can

Reactions: Twinsfan23
1 - 5 of 5 Posts