Sport Bikes banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering how much differant it would be if you listened to head phones while riden compared to a Chatter box that has the MP-3 set up. I have a MP-3 player with ear plug head phones and I've been think about just throw them on will I go for a ride one day. I know that it may be against the law but so is doing a wheelie :dunno . Has anyone ever riden with head phones in?

·
Posse Pimp Daddy #1
2,767 Posts
I had several guys doing that today on a ride. They seem to really enjoy it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
It is great for long borring highway commuting. But you wont hear a car honking, or siren so pay attention.......its also hard to dance well on a bike.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I do it when I have to go to a cuple of friends which live in another town, mostly I ride there at night and its a 30min ride over a lone dark road. all this are actualy good things because I only put a plug in one ear and IF a car comes from behind me I see the lights of it emitiately, also try not to have it too loud. But I don't recomend it at other situations.

Oh, and I allways start to head bang which isn't good when I pass a cop :D however its allways a nice show at traffic lights when I start to sing or to dance.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
I can't have music playing while I ride. I Feel that I can't hear the traffic around me, and also, I get to distracted. I'll start to bob my head like an idiot and run into something. Hell, I fall up stairs! I don't need any distractions

·
Registered
401 Posts
You know I was actually just looking in the paper at one of those MP3 players with FM capabilities so when I go on a ride by myself I have some music playing in the brain bucket. I was kind of erie about getting one because I dont know what the laws are here with doing that and I dont want it to destract me from my riding. I was also thinking about doing one ear plug in and the other out. But wasnt sure. What does everyone feel about this topic? Good Idea Bad idea? Pro's or Cons?

·
Banned
101 Posts
I do it all the time... I have an MP3 player velcro'd to my gas tank (pics. within the Kawasaki ZX7R section), and sometimes I'll have an Ipod attached to my belt.

As a matter of fact, I've tested out a bunch of different headphone types specifically for this purpose, and found this to be the best style that gives the best performance:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1051826212764&skuId=5432132&type=product

You put your helmet on, and gently push each one up into the open area in your helmet for year ears.

Been doing it for about 2 years now, NEVER had any problems not hearing traffic. Just be responsible and exercise some self control, and it will really enhance your ride! As a matter of fact, most of the time that I happen to be riding 2-up, I plug the passenger in via one of those "Y" connectors. :)

Edit: I don't suggest this for newbies, you really do need a fair amount of experience.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I put my MP3 player in my front jeans pocket and run the wire up my back into my left ear. I can feel the buttons through the gloves and jeans so I can adjust the volume. I haven't had any problems other than my ear getting a little sore from the earbud. Its nice to have a little music to jam to when riding.

BTW, I agree with Beanhead. You should probably become an experienced rider before listening to musich while riding.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I permanently mounted the headphones into my helmet, just put the MP3 player in my inside jacket pocket. I find it more relaxing, and makes those longer slab rides much less boring. I don't turn the volume up really loud - it's more background noise, ya know? I can still hear horns, sirens, etc. I love it, am not sure I'd ever ride without music again.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I listen to music through my chatterbox on longer rides. Can hear music just fine even with earplugs. IMHO it's no different than listening to music in a sound-insulated, air conditioned cage. As long as you keep the volume reasonable, you'll be able to hear everything you need to. Makes long hauls on the superslab A LOT more tolerable. I usually turn the music off when I leave the highway.

·
Banned
1,003 Posts
Magic 8 Ball said:
I'm always afraid the ear plugs will get buried in my ear and I won't be able to dig it out
There is probably an official phobia for that sort of feeling.

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
I've done it many a time when out riding the twisties but not around town.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts