·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Press Release: For Immediate Release
Date: 6/15/2005
Subject: Ride To Work Day 2005

Motorcycle and Scooter Ride to Work Day is Wednesday, July 20, 2005

This year’s fourteenth annual motorcycle and scooter commuting demonstration will increase the number of riders on the road, according to Ride to Work, a non-profit advocacy organization. “Riding to work on this day shows the positive value of motorcycles and scooters for transportation. For many people, riding is an economical, efficient and socially responsible form of mobility that saves energy, helps the environment and provides a broad range of other public benefits,” states Andy Goldfine, the event organizer. Motorcycle and scooter enthusiasts and rider organizations worldwide encourage their members to ride to work on this day.

According to the United States Census Bureau and the Department of Transportation, over eighty million cars and light trucks are used for daily commuting on American roads, and about 200,000 motorcycles and scooters are a regular part of this mix. On Ride to Work Day the practical side of riding becomes more visible as a larger number of America’s 8,000,000 cycles are ridden to work.

Ride to Work Day helps demonstrate how these vehicles make parking easier and help traffic flow better. Studies have shown that across equal distances commuting motorcyclists reach their destinations in less time than those using automobiles, that motorcycles and scooters consume less resources per mile than automobiles, and that they take up less space on roads. Motorcycle and scooter riders seek improved employer recognition and support for this form of transportation, and more public and government awareness of the positive value of riding.

Ride to Work Day can be reached at:
POB 1072, Proctor, Minnesota, 55810 USA
http://www.ridetowork.org
218 722 9806
Ride to Work Day Mission Statement:
To advocate and support the use of motorcycles for transportation, and to provide information about transportation riding to the public.
Participating Ride to Work Day Countries:
Germany, Philippines, England, Germany, Israel, Turkey, Ecuador, United States, and many others.
http://www.ridetowork.org/pages.php?pageid=3
Sample issues of 'The Daily Rider':
http://www.ridetowork.org/pages.php?pageid=4
A brief history of Ride to Work Day:
http://www.ridetowork.org/docs/2004history.html
A transportation motorcycling and scootering fact sheet:
http://www.ridetowork.org/docs/2005trans_facts.html
Motorcycle and scooter commuting photos, illustrations and RTW Day artwork:
http://www.ridetowork.org/pages.php?pageid=8
Alternate formats for this press release. PDF WORD TXT

TIFF images A B C

·
Registered
501 Posts
yeah, most days are ride to work day for me too. most days i have the only bike in the parking garage. and my parking garage sucks because they won't even consider motorcycle designated areas, they discourage bike from parking in their garage because the bikes don't tr***** the gates as well as cars. also the garage security sucks so it is park at your own risk, i think that is why people don't ride to work often.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
That sucks that your work is so bike-hostile, LL. Good on ya for toughing it out anyway. My employer is pretty bike-frriendly - there's actually a bike-only concrete pad at the back of parking lot. But mine is still usually the only bike in the lot when it rains, except for one other all-weather nut with a Triumph Tiger.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I was actually just gonna post about that! Even though I ride everyday it doesn't rain anyways!

That sucks to hear the some ones employer makes it that discouraging to ride into work! They have 5 different "motorcycle" lots here, there nice too, right next to all the gates where you enter the building and there surounded by Jersey barriers so that assholes in cages don't hit em! :banana

·
Registered
501 Posts
to clear it up. it is not my employer that makes it difficult, they don't offer free parking at all. I work in downtown Columbus in a building and park at one of the public parking decks downtown for a monthly fee. So it's the parking deck that cares less. Well, I think my employer could care less also how and where I park, they only care that I show up on time.

that's just how it is in downtown Columbus, you have to pay to park and I don't get reimbursed for it either. sucks, but the job is worth the extra i have to pay for parking.

·
Registered
486 Posts
they just redid the parklot here at my job and theres now motorcycle only parking right next to the building. going to get some all weather gear so I can ride to work everyday and even try some in the winter hehe

·
how bout dem deadskins
3,235 Posts
hell yeah... every year. last year i saw about the same bikes on the road which is like 2-3 daily. we'll see this year

·
loner
201 Posts
when i take my car, i have to pay my employer to park in my employer's lot... but at least it's pre-tax. when i bring my bike (every day that it's not raining in the morning), i have a nice little lunch courtyard that i park in with the bikes... it's always occupied, a business office person gets to stare at my bike all day (lucky, if you ask me), it's got cameras and best of all, it's free.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
hatred said:
when i take my car, i have to pay my employer to park in my employer's lot... but at least it's pre-tax.

omg...now that's a real connecticut-ism. :)

+1 on every day is ride to work day!

·
Full Time Slacker
3,178 Posts
"EVERY day is ride to work day!"

Exactly. I don't own a car. If I'm not riding its cause my GF gave me a ride.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
every day is ride to work day for me also.

I have driven the car to work four times so far this year and that's only because it was pouring rain when I left the house.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I just picked up a laptop backpack and now I ride to work as often as possible. We have two plants and I have an office in one but visit the other regularly. One of them has an all concrete lot so no special parking - park anywhere. The other plant has a motorcycle only concrete pad right next to the entrance; it's some of the best parking at the whole place!

·
Premium Member
7,390 Posts
I usually don't ride to work (Isn't worth getting all geared up to ride a half-mile to work) but I usually go out of my way to ride in on Ride To Work Day.

·
TowTrucks Suck!!!
159 Posts
Jake said:
I usually don't ride to work (Isn't worth getting all geared up to ride a half-mile to work) but I usually go out of my way to ride in on Ride To Work Day.
damn wish i lived that close, i have to ride 50 miles each way, glad the vfr gets about 40 on the hwy.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Month and 1/2 of summer work under my belt and only two non ride to work days. Both on account of rain when I woke up.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts