Sport Bikes banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
The Accident

Ok I guess what happened was, they were riding stagered and the one guy went to pass and my buddie started to go with him, but he changed his mind and cut back into the lane and they got together and slid on the road for a bit. I dont know if the cage that they were passing turned his blinker on or he saw an oncoming cage. But thats about the whole sory I will post a pic tonight going to take pictures of one of the bikes before I drop it off to get fixed or totaled. I dont think that it is totaled but just a guess.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
(reprint from DetroitSportbikes.com)

Guess I'll start writing this now, and edit & add later from home... did take pics, will post couple up later.

It was the best of times , it was the worst of times....

Left home abt 10:20am with TriumphTerry (blue '05 Sprint ST). We took 696-75-Davison-96-M14-M23 to N.Terr. There, we met up with a group already forming, unbeknowns to us.

Ended up riding with a group of 14, with me in third on my R1200ST. Order was Mille - Monster - R1200ST - 900SS - RC51 - and others on a BoxerCup, Kanatuna, older 600, Sprint ST, and more.

Rode west on N.Terr, then NW-ish towards Stockbridge. Stopped at that big gas station west of the four-way in downtown Stockbridge.

From Stockbridge, off to Dexter Trail. A fun road with nice sweepers, unfortunately rains, construction, and farming drug dirt/gravel/sand into some of the corners and at various random spots all along our journey. Couple bikes almost crashed out on the dirty/gravely parts.

We watched MOTO-GP at lunch! Our boy Nicky did purty gud Sunday.... and all together now "Rossi SUX!".

Then, off to some curvy roads I know I've been on before, but it's been a while, and eventually meandered back to Stockbridge, this time at the new gas station on the S side of town.

From there, worked our way back to NorthTerr Rd, and that's where the story takes a turn....

About 5-10 miles from M-23 on N-Terr, seems two of the slower riders collided. Best as I could determine from an eye-witness later, one guy pulled out to pass a slow truck (white 600cc?) and another tried to go with (GSXR). The first guy aborted the pass and the two collided.

I was well ahead of this event, and did not know about it for some time. I had stopped at that newer 4-way red-blinky-light, said my goodbye's real quick to the Mille-leader-bike, waiting for TriumphTerry to show so we could go riding more (was only 4:30). And waited and waited and started to get that sinking feeling. Sure 'nuff, a little bit later, one of the guys rode up saying two went down. We U-turned asap and zoomed back, abt 2 miles. There were already at least a 1/2 dozen bikes stopped, so not much for me to do. Made sure veryone was okay, that the bikes were off the road, and the debris was off the main drag.

Then, the first (volunteer?) emergency vehicle showed up, immediately followed by the countymounty, then the fire emergency truck showed, and you could hear other sirens in the distance. Yet, eveyone was basically okay, up and walking around. Ambulance screamed up a couple minutes after that.

All I can figure is all the traffic passing by must've gone nutz on the cellphones, everyone's got 'em now-a-days...

Well, it got to be too big a circus for me, plenty o' help around, still some bikers there... so... Terry and I split, heading back west to do some more riding.

Picked up Hankered (road's gone to shite), stopped to pee and talk about the accident some, then D-32, M-52, and up to the MI Brewery for a couple.

Then headed home to the east siieede (via slight detour due to 696 being closed from 275 on, took 12 Mile).

(above edited later as various bits of memory pop up)

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Hey SMOKIN & Kila-Beave,

Was good to meet ya! :banana

Just bummer about the end of the ride... :eek: :eek:

Terry and I took off after the 'circus' got too big. Was simply no need to be there and add to the confusion. When we left, there were still a few bikers on-site, plus 4 (count 'em, 4) emergency vehicles of various sorts, with more on the way. Having helped (hands-on) with many 2-wheeled accidents in the past, I knew when it was my cue to leave.

Just hope "this old guy with the touring bike and saddle bags" didn't hold you up too much!
:rolleyes

·
Registered
315 Posts
Unlickily I had a first-row seat since I was right behind the two of them when they collided, and nearly joined them myself :( To be honest I saw the whole thing coming a mile away (ok just a couple 0.1s of a second, but seemed like forever) and luckly had already rolled off the throttle. The White CBR and Gixxer both wound 'em up and pulled to the left to pass the pickup about 1/2 second after he put his left turn signal on. They likely didn't see it as they were looking down the road to make the pass and not at his tailgate.

Then apparently the CBR sees the trucks front left signal as he gets beside the pickups door and chops the throttle... probably shoulda kept it pegged. (Didn't see if he used the brakes or not... wouldn't matter though, engine braking would have slowed him a ton). Then I see a ton of smoke coming off the Gixxer's rear tire and they collide and start sliding on N. Territorial. (Thank God for leather!) Even if the Gixxer didn't lock up the rear, it looked like they were both heading for the same real estate. The guy on the Gixxer actually got really close to hitting the back of the truck he was sliding on the pavement so fast! Scared the crap outta me. I'm really glad they are both ok... it could have been very, very bad.

Right about now my pucker factor is really high, since I've got to haul down this 500lb Katana or I'm going to join them! I kept locking my rear tire and releasing... lock/release/lock/release... thank goodness the front didn't lock too. I BARELY missed the guy that came off the Gixxer since he slid to the right side of the road (bikes and the CBR guy were to the left). Somehow our guardian angles managed to leave me about 6" of pavement to the right of him or I was headed into the trees to miss him!

·
Registered
132 Posts
MilleArp said:
this post edited due to extensive whining by a small group of folks at a different forum.......
BS!!! Anyone that rides out that way, already know the roads. Any newbies to the area will do exactly as I did last season, pull out the map and explore. I work with a guy that rides with a cruiser group and he informed me of all the good routes out that way. It's pretty common knowledge among riders that that's the place to ride if you're looking for twisties.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
zx7Ryder said:
BS!!! Anyone that rides out that way, already know the roads. Any newbies to the area will do exactly as I did last season, pull out the map and explore. I work with a guy that rides with a cruiser group and he informed me of all the good routes out that way. It's pretty common knowledge among riders that that's the place to ride if you're looking for twisties.

Well, (ahem) I kinda tried to explain that, but hey, I'm trying to play nice! :biggrinag

I really liked riding with that group, and hope to again, unless I get "voted off the island".
In which case, I'll still be riding the exact same roads, like I have for years, but with a different group.
Don't care much for big groups anyway, get's too wierd/dangerous. I like a smallish 2-4 bike group, ideally...

·
Registered
222 Posts
I thought is was a nice group to ride with also. I liked riding in the frount with you guys, wish my buddie and the other person didnt colide, but I think they both learned a valuable lesson. Now I have to hope that he gets his bike fixed soon or another friend gets a new bike. All of my friends with bikes are whimps they hardly ever ride, so I'm usually by my lonesome. :egrin

·
Registered
315 Posts
I can somewhat understand about them not wanting to post up the route, but there are only a handful of decent roads within 100 miles of here, so most people already know about them. If it's safe to assume that everyone already knows about the roads, all you're protecting is the order in which you ride them.

I also had a great time riding with everyone and would like to again sometime soon. This next weekend since I'll be in Southern Indiana riding cruisers though ... :(

Mille - I hope my "off-road flying Katana" experience didn't scare off TriumphTerry! (Target fixation == bad ... dirtbike experience == good) He's a pretty cool guy and I'd like to ride w/ him again.

SMOKIN - The only guy I know up here with a bike besides the guys I met Sunday and Penthos, has a Ninja 250 that just sits in his garage. I'm not from MI, so I'm almost always by my lonesome and looking for folks to ride with!

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Per the route, I've been on every one of those roads before. It was long-term road-knowledge that played a big part in allowing this old guy to ride at the pace I did with a "touring bike" (too cold fer the Mille-R).
Some of those roads, it's been a while, nice refresher; others, I ride every year.

Per passing execution, yes. Follow thru.
That's just one of many "rules" that should be discussed prior to a ride so all are on the same page.

Let's stay in touch, and ride often!

STAY SAFE OUT THERE !
:fiddy

·
Registered
132 Posts
MilleArp said:
Well, (ahem) I kinda tried to explain that, but hey, I'm trying to play nice! :biggrinag

I really liked riding with that group, and hope to again, unless I get "voted off the island".
In which case, I'll still be riding the exact same roads, like I have for years, but with a different group.
Don't care much for big groups anyway, get's too wierd/dangerous. I like a smallish 2-4 bike group, ideally...
Completely understandable......I know WOS also organizes rides out that way and their meet spot is the same gas station. In any event, I rode solo out that way last season on several occasions. I'll make plans to get out and ride next time you guys get together. I have cousins who ride just not as regularly I as I do so I'm always looking for others to ride with.

·
Registered
222 Posts
haha,
thanks Mille, but yes he had full coverage. Atleast for the moment once its fixed he might not have any insurance. I hope they don't drop him because of this unfortunate accident.

·
Registered
300 Posts
good lord i feel like ive been gone for a month from the site. well after reading the whole scenario, im glad they had thier gear on and walked away from it. i hope to get over you guys way some time this year. and milli i know how you feel with the riding the bike that "Dosent Belong" there bike. most people give me the same look when i roll up on my dinosaur 1992 gsxr 1100 normally by half way through the day they are wtf did you do to that bike :banana i respond with a bit of tweeking. as soon as i finish the front suspension it will be ready for the twisys again. for on the street just about any sportish bike will work for riding through the twistys and you should beable to keep up no problem. its when you get track like corners or mountainous type roads where certain bikes just work better.

·
Registered
222 Posts
No 06 GSXR parts availible?????

Well the latest update is my buddie might get a new bike. :banana Not that its totaled they just cant seem to order parts for it. I guess all the parts Suzuki has they are putting them on the new bikes not selling for replacement parts yet, but still waiting on the official word. I guess they put a cast on his ankle to imobilize it, not broke tho.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts