Sport Bikes banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend and I are heading to Colorado next month to do some riding. We will start our ride in Denver on a Monday morning and plan to be back in Denver Saturday morning. Do you guys have any suggestions of roads we should ride, things to check out along the way...? We dont have any plans at this point. We just want to find some roads better than we are used to. Iowa is boring.

·
Registered
101 Posts
anything west of Denver is good. But to really get a good feel for the state, I would head out of town on 285. That will take you out to hwy 50 west over Monarch Pass. Once you get past Gunnison take hwy 149 south. Lake City is a good place to hang for the night. Keep heading south on 149 until South Fork and head west on 160 over Wolf Creek Pass to Durango. Go north on 550 to Ouray and hang for the night. Next day continue up to Montrose and back onto hwy 50 heading east. Once you get to Blue Mesa Dam take a left onto hwy 92 and ride the north rim of the Black Canyon to Hotchkiss and go North on 133 into Carbondale. Go east on 82 into Aspen and party there for a night. Then head over Independence Pass. From there head out to hwy 24. From there you can either head back to Denver on 285 or go north and head into Rocky Mountain National Park the back way via 70 to 9 and head into Rocky Mountain National Park on 34. Once you get to Estes Park take hwy 7 to 72 to 119. Take Golden Gate Canyon hwy 46 back into Golden and Denver.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. That looks like a good route. Would it be worth dipping down into northern New Mexico? Are the roads fun down there? I have never really explored that part of the country, so I don't know what to expect.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Yea the Taos/Red River loop is good on hwy 64 and 38. Just Google Taos Red River loop.

Are you guys riding out from Iowa or trailering or renting?

Camping or hotels?

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea the Taos/Red River loop is good on hwy 64 and 38. Just Google Taos Red River loop.

Are you guys riding out from Iowa or trailering or renting?

Camping or hotels?
We are hauling my bike, and he is renting one in Denver. He sold his a year or 2 ago. He was in medical school and didnt really have time to ride. We are doing this ride to celebrate his graduation (he graduates the week before). We plan on staying in hotels. I'd love to camp, but I dont want to load that much stuff on my Kawi.

·
Super Moderator
9,239 Posts
Go north on 550 to Ouray and hang for the night.
Route 550.....YES, YES, YES. Definatley do that. It's awesome. But I suggest not staying in Ouray. It's a cool little town to visit and the overlook on the South side of town is sweet, but when we stayed there in June 2 years ago the whole town practically shut down at 9:00PM. We rollded into town at 7 or so, relaxed in our hotel rooms for a while, went to find something to eat later and nothing was open. Luckily, the guy at the liquor stoor called around and found a place that was still serving food. But even the liquor store was closing at 9:00!!! Not much of a "nitelife" after we got done eating. I think one bar was open with about 5 people in there.

Watch out for unmarked patrol cars. They're really hard to spot. Pretty friendly though if you get lucky enough to talk to one. LOL

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Should we expect to see a lot of police on these roads? I've never had my bike above 55 mph, but I'm just curious. It is possible that I might break the speed limit going down a hill. I'm used to flat roads. :twofinger

·
Registered
101 Posts
Route 550.....YES, YES, YES. Definatley do that. It's awesome. But I suggest not staying in Ouray. It's a cool little town to visit and the overlook on the South side of town is sweet, but when we stayed there in June 2 years ago the whole town practically shut down at 9:00PM. We rollded into town at 7 or so, relaxed in our hotel rooms for a while, went to find something to eat later and nothing was open. Luckily, the guy at the liquor stoor called around and found a place that was still serving food. But even the liquor store was closing at 9:00!!! Not much of a "nitelife" after we got done eating. I think one bar was open with about 5 people in there.

Watch out for unmarked patrol cars. They're really hard to spot. Pretty friendly though if you get lucky enough to talk to one. LOL

and this is different from any other mountain town in Colorado? The "nitelife" doesn't exist in towns this small, and frankly thats not the reason to visit them. Go out to eat, have a beer, and get a 6 pack on the way back to your campsite or room. The only other option is Durango or Montrose or other large town.

but then staying in a large town kinda defeats the purpose....just my .02

Aspen and Steamboat are the only small mountain towns with anything resembling a night life.

lol

·
Registered
101 Posts
Should we expect to see a lot of police on these roads? I've never had my bike above 55 mph, but I'm just curious. It is possible that I might break the speed limit going down a hill. I'm used to flat roads. :twofinger

you've NEVER had your bike above 55mph?

seriously?

that just aint right, especially in a place with wide open spaces like Co. My advice, just pull to side of the road when you see people coming up on you out here. We cruise at 90-100 mph between Monarch Pass and Gunnison.

good thing your not ridin across the plains

·
Super Moderator
9,239 Posts
and this is different from any other mountain town in Colorado? The "nitelife" doesn't exist in towns this small, and frankly thats not the reason to visit them. Go out to eat, have a beer, and get a 6 pack on the way back to your campsite or room. The only other option is Durango or Montrose or other large town.

but then staying in a large town kinda defeats the purpose....just my .02

Aspen and Steamboat are the only small mountain towns with anything resembling a night life.
All we were wanting was a warm meal and a cold beer. We were just lucky to get those there. I'd rather have a couple options for those and stay in a bit larger town. That's just me. And camping isn't really in my vocabulary. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Stop off in Silverton....about 25 miles before Ouray on 550....I tend bar at the pickle Barrel on weekends and we are open till 10...we are a rest/bar but there are a couple other bars in town that serve food and have live music and are open later....i might even be able to swing a leg over the gixxer and ride with ya a while

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Stop off in Silverton....about 25 miles before Ouray on 550....I tend bar at the pickle Barrel on weekends and we are open till 10...we are a rest/bar but there are a couple other bars in town that serve food and have live music and are open later....i might even be able to swing a leg over the gixxer and ride with ya a while
We will be riding through during the week. You are more than welcome to ride with us and show us around a bit.

·
Registered
18 Posts
anything west of Denver is good. But to really get a good feel for the state, I would head out of town on 285. That will take you out to hwy 50 west over Monarch Pass. Once you get past Gunnison take hwy 149 south. Lake City is a good place to hang for the night. Keep heading south on 149 until South Fork and head west on 160 over Wolf Creek Pass to Durango. Go north on 550 to Ouray and hang for the night. Next day continue up to Montrose and back onto hwy 50 heading east. Once you get to Blue Mesa Dam take a left onto hwy 92 and ride the north rim of the Black Canyon to Hotchkiss and go North on 133 into Carbondale. Go east on 82 into Aspen and party there for a night. Then head over Independence Pass. From there head out to hwy 24. From there you can either head back to Denver on 285 or go north and head into Rocky Mountain National Park the back way via 70 to 9 and head into Rocky Mountain National Park on 34. Once you get to Estes Park take hwy 7 to 72 to 119. Take Golden Gate Canyon hwy 46 back into Golden and Denver.
WOW talk about hitting the nail on the head! That is excactly what i was going to suggest. Have fun!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts