Sport Bikes banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here are some specifics. These directions are my interpretation of this map http://www.booger-hill.com/laager.htm
- Meet at 11:00 AM CDT (noon eastern) in McMinnville. We'll get something to eat and fuel up. Does anyone know a good place to meet in McMinnville or should we just say downtown?
- Take 56 south to Altamont. We'll stop here to make sure everyone's in good shape. (22.5 miles)
- Continue south on 56/108. (4.5 miles)
- Turn left onto 108 east towards Greutli. Stay with 108 all the way to Whitwell. Stop here for a stretch. (22 miles)
- Take 28 north until we hit Cookston Rd/Old Whitwell Hwy. (8 miles)
- Take Old Whitwell Hwy/W Valley Road to Daus Mountain Road. Turn left here. (2 miles)
- Follow Daus Mountain Road until it hits 399. Stop for a stretch. (11 miles)
- Turn right on 399 and follow that to Cagle. (10 miles)
- Turn left onto 8/111. (4.5 miles)
- Turn left onto 8. We'll take this all the way back to McMinnville. (19.5 miles)

Total mileage of 104 miles. First leg is 22.5 miles, second leg is 26.5 miles, third leg is 21 miles, and fourth leg is 34 miles.
Organizing a mid/east TN ride from Something Awful forums, but also inviting others to come ride since our group will be small. Some people coming over from Chattanooga and Knoxville. Not far from Nashville/Murfreesboro also.

We found this map/route and thought we'd check it out.

Its in the area of the LEFT GREEN SQUARE. The right square is the Deal's Gap area, I'll be riding there Monday/Tuesday of next week if things go to plan.

Open to anybody/any type bike, but we'll be riding at a slower pace since we've got some new riders coming and we don't know the area. Bring your gear and leave your stunts at home if you want to come. Right now we've got my FZR600, two GS500s and a Ninja 250 confirmed coming.

·
KH, Rest In Peace Brother
20,852 Posts
Have to work Saturday morning. If not for that I would be there.

·
Registered
495 Posts
You've got a pretty good little loop picked out. I would rearrange the most southern portion. Instead of taking 28 to Daus, I would head towards Powels Crossroads (5 mi), take a left onto E. Valley, and take that to 127 (13 mi). Take a left onto 127. When it merges to 28 (3 mi) backtrack a little to pick up Daus Mnt (?? mi). This would prevent that extremely straight stretch called 28 :).

Also while heading towards Cagle, before you get to 111, take a right (last one before 111 maybe?). This is a fun 15 mile road that drops off Fredonia Mnt. onto 127 in Dunlap. Then take a left onto 127 and hit 111/8 (2 mi) to be on your way. This might add a total of 35 miles to your trip and probably around 45 min. but well worth it.

How many riders do you expect? I'm not big on large groups... If I can I'll try and join you for the ride. I'll let you know.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Str8away Hater said:
You've got a pretty good little loop picked out. I would rearrange the most southern portion. Instead of taking 28 to Daus, I would head towards Powels Crossroads (5 mi), take a left onto E. Valley, and take that to 127 (13 mi). Take a left onto 127. When it merges to 28 (3 mi) backtrack a little to pick up Daus Mnt (?? mi). This would prevent that extremely straight stretch called 28 :).

Also while heading towards Cagle, before you get to 111, take a right (last one before 111 maybe?). This is a fun 15 mile road that drops off Fredonia Mnt. onto 127 in Dunlap. Then take a left onto 127 and hit 111/8 (2 mi) to be on your way. This might add a total of 35 miles to your trip and probably around 45 min. but well worth it.

How many riders do you expect? I'm not big on large groups... If I can I'll try and join you for the ride. I'll let you know.
If you know the area, we'd REALLY love to have you join up and be in front so we don't get lost in Grundy County. ;)

We currently have 6-8 "confirmed" riders, most are on Ninja 250s or GS500s -- picked up a few guys from beginnerbikes.org and ninja250.com forums, so expect the pace to be a bit slower but it should be a good group (no idiots)

There is at least one guy coming from Chat. if you want I'll put you in touch with him if you want somebody to ride over with.

·
Registered
98 Posts
If I can get away from the house, I will be in! I just moved in on Tues, so it may be tough. How long a ride (time wise) are we looking at?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not knowing that area well, I don't know how long it will take to cover those miles. I'd take a wild guess and say around three hours, give or take one or two? ;)

·
Registered
495 Posts
really depends on how poeple ride, and how often they stop. I usually don't stop until I need gas every 120 miles or so. That loop should probably take 2.5-3 hours keeping in mind the pace suggested (newer riders). Posted speed limits are mostly 45 and 55 on that route.

Sal45 if we go, figure 1.5 hours to get there the fun way :).

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here's a Hardee's restaurant near the middle of town.
http://tinyurl.com/d894q
We'll try to meet there. It should be easy for everyone to find, only one in town.

I'd suggest that everyone stop as you're coming into town, before we meet at 11:00 (central), and fill up with fuel and grab a bottle of water, so we don't have to make another stop as we're heading out of town. Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
495 Posts
well how did the ride go? Sorry I didn't make it but I worked till 3:00 today. Did you find Daus Mnt. road? I took a late afternoon ride to go try and find it. It took me a little while, but it is a good little road! Would be much more fun in daylight when you could see through some of those turns, and I was scared of deer in the road!

Maybe next time I can make it! Safe riding!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Str8away Hater said:
well how did the ride go? Sorry I didn't make it but I worked till 3:00 today. Did you find Daus Mnt. road? I took a late afternoon ride to go try and find it. It took me a little while, but it is a good little road! Would be much more fun in daylight when you could see through some of those turns, and I was scared of deer in the road!

Maybe next time I can make it! Safe riding!!
Ride went good. We waited until noon to start out, hoping more might show up late. Had 6 guys show up -- three Ninja 250s, a GS500, a Kawi 600 ZZR, and my FZR600. Pretty much all newer riders -- I may have been the most experienced rider which is a scary thought ;)

Anyway, ceebus from SA had figured out the route using a little bit of the map from Booger Hill and a little bit of your modifications. He led and I brought up the rear. We rode until about 16:00 and everybody was pretty tired (and getting dehydrated) and since we all had 1-2 hour rides back home we decided to call it a day. We were on Hwy 28 close to Dunlap when we split up. The roads there were nice, I think we just started picking random ones and going until we recognized something.

We kept a slower pace, didn't want anybody trying to ride beyond their level in a sharp curve or anything -- better to be slow and safe I guess. Also, Hwy 28 has the longest straight stretch I think I've ever seen.

That morning I got off work at 7 and headed from Decherd to Monteagle and went up and down the mountain there a couple of times, then up 24 to McMinnville. When we split up, I went back to Jasper then Kimbal and hit 24 and went back up Monteagle and stopped to eat/gas. Saw some guys at the gas station/McDonalds there from Tullahoma and they were riding 41N up and down the mountain. I went down and up once with them, but they were a bit wreckless imo so I went ahead and split and headed back towards Pulaski. I started riding at 7:30AM and got home at 6:30PM -- after working a 12 hour night shift and being up since 13:00 Friday afternoon. I was totally EXHAUSTED. I called in sick to work and went to bed 'till 10AM today. ;) Right at 400mi total I rode from door to door.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Yeah Hwy 28 is horrible, thats why I suggested maybe hitting E. Valley. There are several good roads around Dunlap. Some good roads around Monteagle too if you know where to look. Glad to hear your ride went off good. That was one long day for you! Maybe I can catch the next one.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Str8away Hater said:
Yeah Hwy 28 is horrible, thats why I suggested maybe hitting E. Valley. There are several good roads around Dunlap. Some good roads around Monteagle too if you know where to look. Glad to hear your ride went off good. That was one long day for you! Maybe I can catch the next one.
We stayed off 28 on the ride, but I took it going home.

I'm going to explore the Monteagle area bit more sometime. Anybody up for a Saturday morning ride in that area? Not more than a couple of hours.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Not this weekend. I have a final on tuesday. Keep me in mind next time though!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts