Sport Bikes banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
You're a Daisy if ya do
8,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After a season of riding with my regular posse, I had a chance to ride most of their bikes and they had a chance to ride mine.
It's amazing how open class bikes differ in handling and power delivery. Keep in mind, all the suspension settings were set to their preferences, not mine. Here's my reviews:

2002 Ducati 848.
Wow, how much different can it get from my bike?
The first thing immediately evident was the power band. I hit the rev limiter no less than three times in the first half hour. I'm just not used to big twins.
The second most evident thing is the riding position and the plank of a seat. You are a little more leaned over, which is ok, but the seat is really hard. The brakes (brembo) were great and had lots of feel and feedback.
The bike handles effortlessly, turn in was crisp and the bike just felt stable all the way in, through, and out of the turn with no problem changing lines mid corner was also not a problem. Nice bike. I could ride one if I had to.

2006 Kaw ZX10
Rider position was really close to what I'm used to.
The first thing I noticed was an "uneasy" feeling at turn in. This bike just felt like it was going to tip over at the thought of a turn. It was very strange. Now I've heard stories about the abrupt power on these things and I didn't find it to be the case at all on the 2006. I thought the power was pretty linear and smooth. It does have LOTs of ass if you need it.
One thing I REALLY didn't like was the brakes. They just felt mushy and not very confidence inspiring. (as a matter of fact, when Anthony got off my bike he wanted to know what I had done to my brakes to get them to feel and act like they do).
Over all, a good bike and I could ride one if I had to.

2006 GSXR 1000
WOW. That's all I can say. The power is just THERE no matter what RPM you happen to be in at the time. It is so smooth and constant, it just floored me. Oh, and it's got PLENTY. The riding position was excellent for me and the seat was nice.
This bike just handles like a dream. I never felt uncomfortable pushing (a little) through the corners. The brakes were very good as well.
I can see why this bike won bike of the year for several magazines.
I could definately ride one.

2008 YZF R1

Hmmmm. This bike was not at all what I expected. If you like to ride a 600 on steriods, than this is your bike. The first thing I noticed was the lack of low end grunt. (funny, buy my 02 has a Genesis Head and it has way more low end and midrange than the 08). Don't get me wrong, it has PLENTY of get up and go, but it comes at a much later section of the tach than I'm used to. I tried to get a first gear power wheelie out of it and just couldn't because of the power band. I know it will do one, I just had other things to try. Oh, and the dead spot down low that the mags talked about, it's definately there. But, if you go WOT and the tach hits 8k, HOLD THE FU** ON, because you are now in warp drive and going places.
This bike felt the lightest and handled propably the best out of all the ones I road. It really does not handle like the litre bikes Ive ridden. It just flicks from side to side like a dream. The brakes were very good all around.
I could ride one if I had to.

2006 VFR800 Interceptor.
If you want to cruise or ride somewhat aggressively this is a good bike. Charlie can ride this bike pretty fast. He also has ZERO chicken strips.
Seating position is upright, as you'd expect, and very comfortable. I rode a large portion of Interstate with this bike and found it really enjoyable. The only thing I couldn't get used to was the "linked" brakes. It feels really weird to hit the rear brake lever and get front brake at the same time. It would be difficult for me to get used to that.
The 800 makes very good useable power all the way through. Once the VTECH kicks in you get an added bonus.
I had it up to about 120 before I knew it merging on to I-95.
All in all, if I were going to do some longer road trips, I could easily see myself riding one of these.

That is all for now.

Hopefully next year, I'll get to ride......2008 ZX10, 2008 R6, 2006 Duc 999 and a 2008 CBR1000RR.
We'll see.

·
5,455 Posts
^^ very cool! wish i knew more people that rode.

the only bikes i've ridden other than my own are my dads 04 Shadow Sabre and his starter bike, a Suzuki Savage. i've also ridden my buddies 04 GSXR600 that is actually very different than my bike

·
Full Time Slacker
3,178 Posts
Its funny how many people end up liking the VFR when they ride it, despite it being overweight, underpowered, over gadgeted, etc.... :D

Nice writeups all BTW. Its always good to ride different bikes from time to time to see what you are missing or not missing.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Excellent thread! I really enjoy hearing about an ,"Average Joe" talking about bikes. great reviews

·
It wasn't me
3,508 Posts
Its funny how many people end up liking the VFR when they ride it, despite it being overweight, underpowered, over gadgeted, etc.... :D
I would be one of those. I couldn't believe it when VermilionX got one instead of replacing his Ducati.

The linked brakes aren't my favorite part of the VFR, but I have a feeling that they, along with the ABS, will end up saving my ass at some point. I also plan on doing some long-distance riding that I would have never done with my FZR. And considering the 400 had 59hp/29ish torque, it feels powerful enough for me :)

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
Once the VTECH kicks in you get an added bonus.
Awesome review - I really enjoyed the concise summaries of each bike.

I'd be really interested in the 08 and newer CBR1000 and the 09 R1 too.

Hey now, don't hold back on the VTEC, tell us how you really feel.

Attachments

·
Registered
584 Posts
I also rode a bunch of bikes this year.

2007 KTM690
Fun fun fun fun. For around town this bike is a blast. For mountain canyon carving it would be hard to beat. This bike would get me in trouble. Great around town fun machine. I wouldn't want to do long distance. Felt a bit strained going 80mph or so on the highway. Probably the most fun bike I've ridden for around town.

2007 FZ1
This would be at the bottom of my list of the bikes I rode. The bike was just soulless. It had good power once you got the RPMs up and was fairly comfy. I don't like the wide gas tank. Ground clearance was poor. I was scraping parts on the first turn I did. Brakes are ok, suspension feels lacking. It doesn't do anything too bad, but doesn't do anything good. Just a blah bike for me.

2008 GSXR600
Of all the 600s I rode, this thing was the easiest to ride. Great handling and tip in. Motor goes good if you keep it up in the RPMs, but the low end was blah. Great brakes, comfy and a nice SS bike. If I had to get a 2008 600SS bike this would be my choice.

2006 R6
Uncomfy, no bottom end, and felt twitchy. Would be a good track bike, but I perfer the ZX or GSXR to this bike. For some reason the Yamahas just don't do it for me.

2005 CBR600RR
Nice motor, good suspenion. Rides nice. Would take it over the R6 any day of the week. No complaints. Doesn't turn in as easy as the GSXR but still a nice ride.

2005 R6
Much better then the 06 r6, atleast on the street. More comfy. Good brakes and suspension. Motor runs good but suffers from the lack of low just like all the yamahas.

2007 Suzuki m50 (cruiser)
Slow, crappy brakes, but I was laughing and giggling the whole time. Tons of fun to ride. Comfortable and relaxed. I'm starting to understand the cruiser appeal but would want one with better brakes and a tad more power.

2007 SV650S
Another giggle. Tons of fun. I like the motor. Suspension needs some work to inspire confidence, but is fine for around town. I like the seating and body position.

2007 R1
Do not like. Roasted my ass and legs. No low end. I don't like the pegs/bars position. Overall my least favorite bike. All my roommates have ridden all the bikes I'm listing too (because they all reside in my garage at one point or another besides the SV that is my brothers bike). We all agree that this is by far the worst bike to ride. Up for sale because it just sits in the garage and never gets ridden. There are just so many better choices. It does look good.

Then there are my two bikes

2007 Aprilia Tuono
Wheelie monster, comfy, awesome brakes, awesome handling. Does everything good. Comfortable for long distance, yet will tear up a track or mountain. Good around town. Big twin power band is awesome. Only issue is the front wheel likes to be airborne a bit too easy if that is a problem. Did a few 500 mile days on it with no issues. Brembo brakes are great and have good feedback. Ohlins suspension is awesome.

2006 ZX6R
My track bike. Doesn't handle and tip in as easy as the GSXR or CBR, but feels stable and planted. The extra 36 CCs make a difference and I like the midrange of the bike. Good brakes, and comfy for a SS bike. The only bike I would swap this for that I rode would be the 08 GSXR600.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Well said Nick

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
Ya, super nice nick - now lets see those garage pics.

I guess I'll contribute with the only two I have had an opportunity with.

2007 Suzuki SV650S -My girl's bike. V-twin 650cc torque curve makes it an excellent and enjoyable ride in town from stoplight to stoplight. Its so easy to leave a stop with little effort or concentration, just start cracking the throttle and release the clutch with little effort needed to match friction and it just goes. The seating is upright much like a standard, but I did notice some handlebar buzz while cruising that still hasn't been settled by packing BBs into the handlebar. Very easy to navigate around at low speeds such as a parking lot. In turns in falls in quickly and comfortably, and holds a line just fine. Can't really comment on the suspension as I don't have extensive seat time, nor am I a pro on suspension. Now as an I4 fan, the power, while it comes on low and quickly, basically gives the same pull all the way up to the 11k or so redline. In fact, the power delivery is not very discernable no matter what gear/speed/rpm combo, it seems to have an electric motor on/off characteristic, and for me quickly brings me back to my SS.

2007 Suzuki GSX-R1000 -My bike. Inline 4 1000cc revving to 13,750rpm gets grunty at 3k to 4k. Commit to going WOT in first and it pulls nicely (though I could always have more bottom and mid-range) but from 9k to redline you feel the front skimming over the ground. Keep in mind this is at 4200 feet elevation in Salt Lake, at sea level the thing I'm sure would pop up at the slightest bump in the pavement or upset in the suspension. Riding position is quite committed and requires you support your upper body via your thighs and core, otherwise you will be parked on your wrists and cruisin squid-style. For someone like me who is not at a racer's level of fitness, knees and back get sore after about an hour begging for a stretch stop, or riding with increased distractions. Grips can be buzzy around 5-6k and can lead to hand numbness at about the same time mark, however I've found some weighted bar ends alleviated this.

(Tested on a closed course at Miller Motorsports) Gear 1 takes you up to about 100 mph, 2,3,4 each add 25mph. Whipping through the first three the quick pull time and acceleration are both indiscernable as it feels as though nothing is going to slow the acceleration rush until you click into 4th or higher and wind drag starts to slow you as you near terminal velocity.

The factory suspension settings: front preload was backed off a bit, as were comp and rebound damping for a 180 lb rider by the local suspension expert. A front end pogo and wobble settled out and the motorcycle will hold a line solidly.

A judicious right hand is a requirement on corner exit as a ham-fisted crack on the throttle while in the power band will snap the rear loose until you have most of the tire carcass squarely planted on the tarmac.

Stock brakes leave room for desire with both a squishy feel, and significant fade after a handful of laps. My biggest dissappointment with Suzuki coming from a Honda. Steel lines and Vesrah RJL brakes make braking a one-finger affair.

Around town the tall first gear make for a clutch-feeding balancing act if you want anything other than a leisurely departure from a stop. This tall gearing coupled with low clipons and aggressive geometry make for an awkward and less-than confidence inspiring feel at slow speed maneuvers. Until you're at 3k in 1st I could make the analogy that you feel as though you're in a knitting contest wearing mittens, its possible and you eventually learn to become competent, but never quite as natural feeling as taking them off (SV650S).

Still, if what you crave is big-displacement slingshot I4 power with low grunt and can only afford one, this satisfies the itch and then some.

Now if someone wants to donate a BMW K1200GS or GSA, I'd love to have a go around on one of those, but unfortunately once I stopped I think I'd fall over because of my inseam reach.

·
Registered
584 Posts

Currently there is the
06 zx6r
05 cbr600rr
07 fz1
07 r1
05 r6
07 tuono
07 m50 in the garage

SV650S is my brother bike, KTM and GSXR are my old roommates that moved out a few months ago.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
2002 Ducati 848.
Wow, how much different can it get from my bike?
The first thing immediately evident was the power band. I hit the rev limiter no less than three times in the first half hour. I'm just not used to big twins.
The second most evident thing is the riding position and the plank of a seat. You are a little more leaned over, which is ok, but the seat is really hard. The brakes (brembo) were great and had lots of feel and feedback.
The bike handles effortlessly, turn in was crisp and the bike just felt stable all the way in, through, and out of the turn with no problem changing lines mid corner was also not a problem. Nice bike. I could ride one if I had to.
Did you mean the 2002 Duc 998? Coz they didn't make the 848's til 2008

2006 GSXR 1000
WOW. That's all I can say. The power is just THERE no matter what RPM you happen to be in at the time. It is so smooth and constant, it just floored me. Oh, and it's got PLENTY. The riding position was excellent for me and the seat was nice.
This bike just handles like a dream. I never felt uncomfortable pushing (a little) through the corners. The brakes were very good as well.
I can see why this bike won bike of the year for several magazines.
I could definately ride one.
I rode that bike too last year; it was one of my good friend's bike who i used to hit the twiesties with. Excellent bike, amazing overall powerband with no dead spots, and very agile on the corners almost like my 600. If i could get a street bike this would be it. I was riding in the twisties in 3rd gear when i looked on the speedo it read 120!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts