Sport Bikes banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How fast does or should the 250R go from idle to 8K rpm or so? It takes mine awhile, like 2-2.5 seconds or so. My dad's '95 YZF600R does it in less than a second, which is why I'm questioning.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Simple.... Inline vs. Small Twin :) But if you want a more in depth answer I'm sure the engine gurus will be here shortly....... :)

·
Banned
1,553 Posts
I'm no engine "guru", but I've already asked about this and found out why....it's simple. I imagine the 600's have lighterweight engine components because they're continuously being developed and made better and faster, whereas these little parallel twins haven't seen motor changes in a LONG time. I also think the 600's have a lighter flywheel... These parallel twins, because the cylinders are directly opposed, they make a lot of vibration and shudder and nasty stuff. So there's a lot of counterweighting and balancing weights slapped on to dampen them out. I-4's don't have those types of problems as much.

·
Registered
65 Posts
its physics, a twin has longer rods than an inline 4, (a longer lever) so a twin has that longer lever that which creates more torque but requires more time to move that lever throughout its range. go to 8thgradescience.com to learn more. LOL

·
Banned
1,553 Posts
That's another real good point. Because the twin has pistons that are directly opposed on the crank, the conn. rods have to be real long, versus an I-4...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts