Sport Bikes banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Just a Beast
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Executive Summary: Joe Rocket GPX 2-Pc Type-R suit is a good basic suit. Overall construction is good, seams hold up and the leather is heavy enough. The suit has few features beyond good leather and basic protection. At a MSRP of $599 to $649 (I recomend newenough.com as a place to shop) this is a good basic set of leathers.

Background: Some may remember 2 months ago I was off for another track day adventure. Part of my enthusiasm for my track day was to get my knee on the ground. The fact is the leathers I used for my first track day were just too short. At $330 shipped to me, the Fieldsheer Carbon Fang leathers were fine. But when I went to stick my knee out the suit was to short from my crotch to my neck. The end result was I could not easily move around the motorcycle and get it leaned over.

Review: Ok, I am a big guy and I sure could use to lose a few pounds. But I like to ride and I needed a suit that fit me. I like buying off the rack and the only suit that I figured would fit was the Joe Rocket GPX Type-R suit. This suit is new for 2006 and I just had to have it. Joe Rocket suit has a wide range of sizes from 38 up to 56 in the GPX suits, both in 1-pc and 2-pc.
I contacted the good people at newenough.com and tried to order a size 56 (Freak of nature size) Joe Rocket GPX Type-R 1-pc suit. After some e-mails and phone calls, the good staff at www.newenough.com informed me their distributor had no size 56 suits and no plans to see any till Feb ’06. The good news was the distributor (in Las Vegas) did just get in the GPX Suit in a 2-pc. They had 2 suits and could ship me one directly from Las Vegas. I was getting a suit before even newenough.com would have one to check out. I gave the ok, and 2 days later I had my lovely GPX suit.

The Fit: Overall the Joe Rocket GPX 2-pc Type-R suit fit well. The length was enough to cover my 6’6” frame and I could get it zipped around my waist. The suit was just the tad bit bulky at the top but most every other place fit like a glove.

The Construction: The leather quality is nothing to write home about. The leather has a definite grain pattern and is not of the finest appearance. In places where leather is not the most important, fabric has been substituted. For example the lower half of the calf part of the suit is fabric. It’s no big deal as my boots cover the fabric and it is more comfortable than leather. On a plus side though, the leather is heavy and the seams are all well done. I found little exposed stitching and all the seams seem to be glued inside and have a hidden layer of stitching.

The Protection: The suit comes with CE armor in all locations, except the back. The armor was well placed and did not interfere with getting in or out of the suit. The supplied knee pucks rub on the ground nicely and did not seem to wear much at my limited skill level.

The Features: Overall the features on the suit are rather limited. The 1-pc suit is perforated, but the 2-pc is not perforated. You get some bicep vents and some back vents. After that you are out of luck on the suit, you get the vents, some leather and some CE armor. No fashionable speed hump, no perforated leather, no special inner liner, etc.

THE CRASH: I crashed during my track day and the leathers held up rather well. My fall was a 60mph low side crash. The suit held up well and except for some light cosmetic damage the suit is usable for another day.

Overall I am happy with the suit as it fits. Fitting is good as I am a huge guy and most stuff is not made for me. I am supportive of buying Joe Rocket gear as frequently as possible because they make stuff to fit me. I probably will be buying a replacement size 56 suit to help “Encourage” Joe Rocket to continue to make stuff in my size. Also if they wise up and stop making stuff for my size, then I have an extra suit to use. At $1200 for a Z-leathers suit in my size, I can own 2 of the GPX suits and be happy.

All the big guy and girls out their should look at the Joe Rocket line. The wife got a chest upgrade this past September and I bought the only Joe Rocket 2X jacket they make. If enough of us big people buy the gear, they will make more. Or at least I can hope they make more.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Glad you are okay.... the last person I heard who crashed at 65mph was in the hospital for a long time... even lost a finger.

He also had full gear I think but perhaps not a leather suit.

THanks for sharing

·
Just a Beast
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
I am MOTARDED
3,089 Posts
glad you alright. kinda confused on what happened. I slowed it down but couldnt really see the problem. but did notice the bike diving to the left crossing the front wheele as you came off the bike. but Im not sure what unsettled you

·
Just a Beast
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Since the video is not all that great, I will give my own commentary.

So I was on the “Racing Line” hitting a late apex on this 180degree corner.

The bike in front of me took a wide line, so I figured I would go inside and get a good drive. To my surprise, the person came back over and was doing about 10mph slower than I.

If you look carefully I just chop the throttle as I am about to slam into him (From my view I was only a foot away, but I had more room).

The bike I was on relay was not set up for my FAT ASS, and I had the suspension totally crushed under my weight.

With this, I just put a bit to much on the front wheel and it tucked on me. Moral of the story is that I should not try to pass people in the slowest corner. He was going to be passing my ass on the straightaway anyway as he had a 1000cc bike and I was on a rented 600cc.

... remember, there are no winners at track days... Just losers

·
I am MOTARDED
3,089 Posts
choped throttle, I never thought of that. it happen to me once on the street a dog came out of no where and I choped but my weight contuined foward. but luckly I regain controll . LOL my ass was probley puckered to the seat LOL no skill was involved

1 - 10 of 10 Posts