Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a dent in my tank!

I don't know if it was there and I just never saw it? I don't think so...because I wiped her down a few times already and can never recall a dent. It's on the top of the tank, at the farthest point away from the gas cap.

Bike is parked in my own stall at our news station, and it has a cover.

How could this happen? If something fell, it would bounce off the cover.

:(

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No my bike is chained and the dent is actually on the top of the tank, not where it could be damaged.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Man I hope not!

I swear that dent was not there when I parked it today.

Any way to fix this safely and easily? :(

·
V-twin anyone?
2,161 Posts
That blows man. Maybe it was a hard shit from one of the local sea gulls.

Try the paintess dent removal places. They should be fairly inexpensive. Good luck!

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
no telling what could have caused it but it is there now, sucks.

·
Old school fool
5,720 Posts
Did you put your hand on the tank and push when you were getting off or on?

If it was chained and covered I doubt anyone would have messed with it.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the replies lol

no I don't think I pushed on the tank, it's actually a small sharp dent...like it was made from a thin or pointed object...I don't know :(

it does suck and maybe I'll try to take it to the paintless dent removers thanks !

·
Old school fool
5,720 Posts
"thin, pointed obect" this isn't on the tank right in front of your seat, is it? :banana

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
1quick1 said:
Somebody probably tipped it and felt bad and picked it up.
That could be the case but wouldn't the dent be on the side of the tank and not the top?? Either way sorry to hear that. I know what it's like to take great care of something and have something unexplained happen. It sure does suck. Maybe a dent puller can get it out.

·
Old school fool
5,720 Posts
I think you should sit in the bushes with a high power rifle and kill anyone who comes within 50 feet of it. This would work better if you parked it in front of a 7-11.

·
Registered
912 Posts
you could also try dry ice and a heat gun... if it's a creased dent though it's going to be a pain to get out.

·
Registered
496 Posts
tmkreutzer said:
I think you should sit in the bushes with a high power rifle and kill anyone who comes within 50 feet of it. This would work better if you parked it in front of a 7-11.

Make sure you have a scope!

·
Crunnnnnnnnnnnnchy
3,067 Posts
:needpics

·
Registered
912 Posts
2000NinjaZX6R said:
+1

how do you do it with Dry ice and a heat gun?
With minor dings and dents (less than an inch or so across) you can heat the area thoroughly with a heat gun (to the point it's to hot to touch, or close to it) then apply dry ice to it. The rapid contraction of the metal caused by the sudden cool-down will cause the ding to pop back out. If it doesn't work the first time you can try going back and forth from hot to cold to hot to cold to see if it will pop, but usually if it doesn't work by the third cooling cycle it's not going to work at all. This is a method used by a lot of body shops and paintless dent repair shops to remove hail damage.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts