Sport Bikes banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just returned home about 3 hours ago from my weeklong adventure into North Carolina and North Georgia; I logged 2120 total miles on the trip. The Fizzer performed flawlessly and absolutely tore up the mountains. :D I'll collect my notes and photos and put something together later on (I'm about ready to pass out after a 12 hour run from TWO to Tampa...with rain).

Real quick highlights:

Overnight stops/camps (I tented it everywhere but Rocky Mount...where I stayed at my friend's place):
1. Savannah, GA
2. Rocky Mount, NC x2
3. Boone, NC
4. Mt. Pisgah (BRP), NC
5. Two Wheels Only, Suches, GA x2

Beautiful and FUN ride, with enough work in the twisties to leave me with no chicken strips on my Pilot Powers...didn't really have to try that hard...the mountain roads just do it naturally (at or slighly above the recommended speed limit) and the Powers didn't complain, lol. ;)

I really have to point out that the TWO WHEELS ONLY RESORT, in Suches, absolutely rocks!. GT, Britt, and the gang were awesome...got to meet a lot of fellow riders there, of all types. The food and ambiance are GREAT too! They ought to advertise that place as a fun park because it's completely surrounded by nothing but PERFECT roads...any direction you go from there, you'll run into excellent and challenging hill climbs, drops, and twisties. I simply can't say enough about the place except that I found a new roost to hang out at. :D

I actually saw another FZ6 at TWO...a silver one. That was the only one, apart from mine though.

After having spent a week with soft luggage on the bike, I think I'll get hard luggage for the next trip. My Cortech stuff did okay, but I gave up on keeping the saddlebags dry after the first day, lol....the rain covers simply collect water and help form a pool in the bottom of the bags. I had a fair bit of rain on the trip, especially on the last day.

Photos and more notes later on...bedtime...

·
Registered
732 Posts
Great trip, Burnspot, I'm so jealous! I'm planning to take a trip down to the Deal's Gap area in September (if I can make it all work out), and you've given me some added incentive.

Even though I won't be venturing as far south as Georgia, the roads are supposed to be just as great in Tennessee and North Carolina, and I can't wait to check them out after reading your account. I'm also planning to camp out while I'm down there, so I'll definitely be looking for some motorcycle friendly campgrounds.

Thanks for sharing. :cheers

·
Registered
165 Posts
Burnspot, sounds and looks like a great trip. I made a similar one in March NY to Daytona for bike-week 2005. I ride my 6 in the Catskills and Pocono Mts. every chance I get. I lived in Cary NC for awhile and my god child and her siblings have either graduated from Appalachian state ( BOONE ) or are attending. I rode with cortech saddle bags and tail bag also. I did not take half the stuff you did. Glad you had a great time. Maybe I'll see you in Daytona 06.

·
It's made of people!
455 Posts
+1 on jealous!!! I don't live too fat from TWO here in GA. I'll have to check it out sometime. I never really wanted to go cause it's not that long of a trip. I Used to live in Raleigh, sure whish I had the bike back then.

Thanks for the inspiration... my smokey mountain trip might get pushed forward :)

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There were a TON of "day riders" up from Atlanta and other close points- TWO makes a fine pitstop. There were also a number of people camping there from Georgia who'd just come up for an overnighter. I wish I were closer or else I'd be up there every weekend.

Damn_Yankee said:
+1 on jealous!!! I don't live too fat from TWO here in GA. I'll have to check it out sometime. I never really wanted to go cause it's not that long of a trip. I Used to live in Raleigh, sure whish I had the bike back then.

Thanks for the inspiration... my smokey mountain trip might get pushed forward :)

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Great trip, great report.

I downloaded your list as a checklist for my next camping/bike trip.

Thanks for sharing.

Questions:
- How important is the bike cover?
- Could a couple of plastic garbage bags have worked (light weight)?
- How many liters is (or should be) the camelback?
- How do you deal with rain soaked tent when packing up the next morning?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
skeleton said:
Great trip, great report.

I downloaded your list as a checklist for my next camping/bike trip.

Thanks for sharing.

Questions:
- How important is the bike cover?
- Could a couple of plastic garbage bags have worked (light weight)?
- How many liters is (or should be) the camelback?
- How do you deal with rain soaked tent when packing up the next morning?
To answer your questions:

I considered a bike cover important for keeping the weather off the bike and providing an "out of sight, out of mind" deterrence for anyone curious about what was in my unsecurable saddlebags (which weren't waterproof either). That being said, all the places I camped never gave me the feeling of actually needing to cover it up...I just did it out of habit. The Aerostich Ultralight cover packs down to the size of a paperback book, so it doesn't take up much room. I suppose trash bags would've served the same purpose, except that they don't have grommets in them through which you can secure the cover on the bike and they wouldn't have near the durability, not to mention the chance of having them melt (some parts of our bike stays hot for a very long time).

The Camelbak I used was the "standard" size...whatever that actually is. Of the stuff I packed and took, the Camelback was the one item that was kind of a hassle- I can't fit the mouthpiece under my helmet, so I can't use it while riding....I ended up just strapping it on top of everything and using it as a normal water bottle when I stopped. I won't bring it with me next time I go on a trip...I'll use normal water bottles (they'll usually fit into the little bottle straps on most bags) or my Platypus waterbags instead.

As for the rain soaked tent, I really only had to deal with that on the very last day of my trip, when I didn't anticipate needing it again for the remainder of the trip. During the other days of the trip, I took the time to shake off any accumulated water before I rolled it up (usually just the rain fly had moisture). The last day was pretty much a "f it, it's getting rolled up wet or not" day, lol...didn't have much of a choice since the rain was pretty torrential for the duration of my last morning. I did try to prevent taking on too much water as much as I could because it'll add up to a lot of extra weight high up on the bike. As soon as I got home, I unpacked it and hung it up in the garage to properly dry out so it wouldn't start molding or something.

·
On 2 wheels...
209 Posts
Burnspot said:
Of the stuff I packed and took, the Camelback was the one item that was kind of a hassle- I can't fit the mouthpiece under my helmet, so I can't use it while riding....
I'm suprised the Camelback didn't work for you. Do you just have the straight mouthpiece? If so, that may be why... I use one with a 90 degree angle and it slides up under my helmet fine. Looks like this:

Attachments

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
MTNBYKR said:
I'm suprised the Camelback didn't work for you. Do you just have the straight mouthpiece? If so, that may be why... I use one with a 90 degree angle and it slides up under my helmet fine. Looks like this:
Yep, mine has the 90 degree angle, but my X-11 doesn't have enough clearance in the chin bar area. If I really work at it, I can get it in there, but I really don't want to be fooling with something like that while I'm riding. :D

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Nice writeup! I'm glad to hear the trip went well.

How did the Pilot Powers wear? Did you get a flat spot down the middle at all? I'm pondering new tires before a 1000-mile (each way) trip to Deals Gap in a couple of months. I'd like softer tires, but I don't want to show up with a big flat spot down the middle.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
fraggle1 said:
Nice writeup! I'm glad to hear the trip went well.

How did the Pilot Powers wear? Did you get a flat spot down the middle at all? I'm pondering new tires before a 1000-mile (each way) trip to Deals Gap in a couple of months. I'd like softer tires, but I don't want to show up with a big flat spot down the middle.
With the exception of the little molding nubs and chicken strips being gone, the tires still look new. They appear to be perfectly rounded when looking down them, with no squaring off. I'm completely sold on them after their performance. :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts