1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trump endorses return of earmarks as House Republicans weigh change
By Andrew Taylor

The Associated Press

WASHINGTON — President Trump has waded into a brewing controversy in the House and endorsed the return of so-called earmarks — pet projects and spending items added to appropriations bills on behalf of individual lawmakers. “Our system lends itself to not getting things done, and I hear so much about earmarks — the old earmark system — how there was a great friendliness when you had earmarks,” Trump told a group of lawmakers at Tuesday’s White House meeting on immigration. “But of course, they had other problems with earmarks. But maybe all of you should start thinking about going back to a form of earmarks.”

Trump’s remarks came as House Republicans are weighing a change to their rules to permit a limited return of earmarks, though with a new set of restrictions and reforms to limit the potential for abuse.

Earmarks send taxpayer dollars to projects in lawmakers’ districts outside the competitive process required for other federal spending. They can include road and bridge projects and community development grants.
House Republicans banned earmarks when they retook the House in 2011.

Top Republicans, led by then-Speaker John Boehner, R-Ohio, argued that they corrupted lawmakers and caused them to support bad legislation simply to shovel taxpayer money back home. It was common, for instance, to solicit campaign donations from those who received the earmarks.

·
Premium Member
13,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Holt & Co. had an original press run on "Fire and Fury" of 150,000.

When the Trump's lawyers sent the cease and desist letter to Holt, telling them to stop the presses and send Trump an apology, the publisher moved the available date up by a week and increased the press run to 1,000,000 copies.

You can't get better press than when The Orange Man trashes you. The original run would have grossed $2.2 million in sales. The revised run will gross $14.9 million. Probably made a multi-millionaire out of the author, too. :eek:nfloor

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
Now The Trunt asked why do we need people from these “shithole” countries. Why start a new thread.

·
Premium Member
13,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Before "Shit hole" there were these quotes: (I borrowed from a Daily Koz poster.)

“They're bringing drugs. They're bringing crime. They're rapists. And some, I assume, are good people.”

"And yes, by the way -- and yes, by the way, they are trying to take away our history and our heritage. You see that."

“You had many people in that group other than neo-Nazis and white nationalists. The press has treated them absolutely unfairly. You also had some very fine people on both sides.”

“And, in fact, when I decided to just do it, I said to myself, I said: ‘You know, this Russia thing with Trump and Russia is a made up story, it’s an excuse by the Democrats for having lost an election that they should’ve won.’”

“James Comey better hope that there are no ‘tapes’ of our conversations before he starts leaking to the press!”

“Just so you understand, just so you understand — I never mentioned the word or the name Israel in conversation. Never mentioned it.”

“A lot of those jobs, I don’t want to appoint, because they’re unnecessary to have.”

“So will George Washington now lose his status? Are we going to take down statues to George Washington?"

"I loved my previous life. I had so many things going. This is more work than in my previous life. I thought it would be easier."

“Appreciate the congrats for being right on radical Islamic terrorism.”

“I’m not ranting and raving. I’m just telling you, you’re dishonest people.”

“Lots of things are done with uranium, including some bad things.”

“We’ve got to be nice and cool, nice and calm. All right, stay on point, Donald. Stay on point. No sidetracks, Donald. Nice and easy.”

“I too have a Nuclear Button, but it is a much b***** & more powerful one than his, and my Button works!”

“I’m speaking with myself, number one, because I have a very good brain and I’ve said a lot of things.”

“I know more about Isis than the generals do. Believe me.”
Why go on? We all know there is no last straw, not for his 30-whatever percent and not for the compromised or simply politically cowed enablers who share his party.

“Shithole?”

Seriously? Shit fucking hole is a bridge too far?

Spare me.

·
Registered
12,001 Posts
Nothing is a bridge too far for Little Lord Fauntleroy Trump. I don't care that he said somewhere or another was a shithole. The word is not that important. The fact that he's spouting things that encourage racists is important. The fact that he doesn't seem to have the ability to focus is important. The fact that he blurts with no apparent understanding of consequences is important. The fact that he seems to think reality is whatever he wants reality to be at any given moment is important.

His use of words like shithole is just words. It's the ignorance, prejudice, and apparent lack of awareness of reality that bother me.

Republicans who protect this clown are complicit. Just like Ivanka.

·
Premium Member
13,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nothing is a bridge too far for Little Lord Fauntleroy Trump. I don't care that he said somewhere or another was a shithole. The word is not that important. The fact that he's spouting things that encourage racists is important. The fact that he doesn't seem to have the ability to focus is important. The fact that he blurts with no apparent understanding of consequences is important. The fact that he seems to think reality is whatever he wants reality to be at any given moment is important.

His use of words like shithole is just words. It's the ignorance, prejudice, and apparent lack of awareness of reality that bother me.

Republicans who protect this clown are complicit. Just like Ivanka.
If he was a private citizen, this wouldn't even be a news item. But unfortunately, for billions of people around the world, he is the face of the republic, just as, say, "Flo" is for Progressive Insurance.

Adam Davidson (New Yorker contributor) on Trump's Corruption...

·
Registered
12,001 Posts
And, since we have started talking about money, how does the idiot right explain this away?

Britain's healthcare system, which is *gasp* national and commie and all that, has better statistical results while costing 40% of what Americans spend per capita. That's a hidden tax on American productivity. If you really want to enhance American productivity, lower that hidden tax instead of larding cash on people who already have boatloads of the stuff.

I wish somebody would hold Paul Ryan's feet to the fire about this kind of thing and burn his fraudulent ass.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts