Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy is retarded,

He got a new bike the other day and didn't get it registered or insured. And to top it off he only had a motorcycle permit. The fool got busted by the cops too. So now he has 3 tickets for no registration, insurance, and riding with only a permit. He's freakin out now about what's gonna happen to him. He asked me for advice but I don't know anything about this stuff...so I'll ask you guys.
Any suggestions on what he should do or what's gonna happen to him and his riding future?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Doesn't sound like there is much he can do. In wisconsin it is required to have proof of insurance on you or your vehicle if it is involved in an accident but the police do not check when they pull you over here. When was the bike purchased? I think (not for sure you will have to check) but if the bike was purchased you have XX amount of time to get it registered If he is in the time frame he might be able to argue that it was just bought he was taking it home and then he was going to register and insure it.

·
Banned
912 Posts
Well the guy doesn't have to worry about getten insurance anymore seeing that he won't be able to afford it!

·
Registered
623 Posts
Nope he can not argue that in NY. Where did this happen? The NYPD should have confiscated the motorcycle and he would have been walking home and will pay towing fees to get the bike back. Anyway, he will have to pay all the tickets and get a license but his insurance will be a lot higher. My advice, bend over and hold your ankles.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Sell the bike and forget about riding ever again....he's too stupid for his own good AND a danger to the general public.

BTW, I hope the fines are expensive.....he deserves them.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Is this one of those deals like " 'my friend' had sex with a hooker and now it burns when I, uh I mean HE pees?" but you're really talkin about yourself.
'Fess up, man! :twofinger

·
Registered
42 Posts
screw the bastard!! why are u even trying to help him out? unless like previously posted, u be talkin bout yourself :lol

·
Registered
102 Posts
Wow, some times I think everyone on this board is mean!!!! The guy did a dumb thing, and everyone is like "OMG Fire and Brimstone, I hope he dies" (just silly)
So look there is no advice for your friend aside from "if you can't do the time....."
Right, aside from that, sugest the MSF course as a good way to get his LICENSE, and that breaking the law always costs more money than you expect....I hope he straightens out and gets back to riding.Good Luck!!

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
how about tell him to get a good lawyer!!

·
Registered
646 Posts
Well, i figured i should chime in here. The same thing happened to me and well, im not retared. Just did something stupid/retarded.
I just got my bike from a friend and wanted to show off on it. Well, it wasnt registered and had no insurance and I got busted. Hey, shit happens. This was in jersey. I had 3 tickets. no insurance, no registration and reckless driving. I delayed the court date immediately for one month to get everything together. I talked to a lawyer and he said he could get everything dropped EXCEPT the insurance and he would cost me a FORTUNE. So then I just went to the courthouse and talked to the prosecutor and the officer who stopped me. They were real cool about it since I had ZERO issues with johnny law in the past. They told me that when I came to court it would all be taken care of EXCEPT the insurance.
Well, they were true to their word. Only got hit for the insurance. A fine and a 1 year suspension of my license M and Driving. The most wack thing is that a guy right before me only got 6 months suspension for a freakin DUI!! Oh, also, I made sure
I got insurance before I went to court. That helped also when I talked to the prosecutor.
Coolest thing in the world is that I paid off the full year of insurance with the insurance company even though I wasnt riding. When it came time around again, I didnt have to sign back up. I just renewed it and my insurance was cut in HALF...it went down...dont know how. I live in the city now, so I have no reason to get a car, so I have no clue how much my car insurance would be. Prob crazy high. But im not currently overly concerned. Anyways, thats my story. Hope it helps.

·
Registered
376 Posts
My little brother got popped last Saturday for pretty much the same thing. He got the bike last April off some guy in L.A. I kept telling him to register and insure the thing and he kept telling me next week blah, blah, blah.

My cousin and his buddy rode down from out of town to ride with us last weekend. We fueled up in Montecito and were going to jump on the 192 and head up to the 154 and ride to San Ynez. As we left the gas station my brother took the lead and I pulled out behind him. I looked back for my cousin and I see a double headlight and thought the gsxr750 doesn't have a light like that, so I took a double take and noticed it was a CHP. I gained a little speed on my brother and honked and tapped my helmet and he thought I was motioning for him to take a right and flips his blinker last minute and jumps into the right turn lane. He gets pulled over and cop runs his license. The turd had a failure to appear and his permit had expired a year ago and to top it off his license had expired on his Bday in July. So, I'm sitting there next to him adding in my head. warent, expired license, no endorsements, no registration or insurance and failure to use a blinker. Then the officer points out that the tag on his bike that expired last April was a stolen tag (the fucker he got the bike from put a stolen tag on it). I'm thinking, oh shit, 7 citations he's going to jail. Well the cop started to feel bad for him and even after my brother started to give him attitude and decides him, nor his partner who pulled up afterwards want to fill out a report on a Saturday.

He ends up getting citted for registration, insurance, and no blinker and the bike was towed and I had to ride him home. If he had given him the riding on a suspended license his bike would have been impounded for 30 days.

It cost him $600 today to register, insure, and pay impound. $300 was the impound fee. Much more than his FTA ticket would have been if he had taken care of it in the first place. He learned his lesson today and a lawyer friend is going to take care of his tickets for him and he is staying off the bike till his license is square. He totally lucked out this weekend, it could have been way more expensive and a lot worse if he had gotten pulled over by a cop in a bad mood or one that hates bikers.

Wow! sorry, post was kind of long.

·
Registered
681 Posts
pelican said:
Wow, some times I think everyone on this board is mean!!!! The guy did a dumb thing, and everyone is like "OMG Fire and Brimstone, I hope he dies" (just silly)
So look there is no advice for your friend aside from "if you can't do the time....."
Right, aside from that, sugest the MSF course as a good way to get his LICENSE, and that breaking the law always costs more money than you expect....I hope he straightens out and gets back to riding.Good Luck!!
It's not mean....blatant disregard for the laws deserves whatever punishment comes from doing so. And claiming 'you didn't know' is NO EXCUSE in this day and age........

·
Registered
47 Posts
Silver350 said:
Doesn't sound like there is much he can do. In wisconsin it is required to have proof of insurance on you or your vehicle if it is involved in an accident but the police do not check when they pull you over here.
Not to go off topic but in WI you don't have to have insurance, and its surprising how many people don't have it here either..

·
Registered
65 Posts
Driving without insurance in NY is a HUGE no no. Then again, I dont feel bad. If he were to hit me, my insurance would have had to pay out. Then everyones fees go up. Hope he learned a lesson here...

I had a similar occurance, although mine was a brain fart and not stupidity. I Stored my car last november then left on vacation. I cancelled insurance, but didnt realize I had to turn in the plates for it too. Well...2 months later I get a letter from the DMV saying I owed them $540 ($8/day) for a lapse in insurance. Whoops. I couldnt prove I wasnt driving the car so I manned up and paid. Damn my asshole hurt from that one.

·
Banned
3,018 Posts
Wow you don't even need to have ins in Florida unless you are financing your bike..your friend needs a lawyer!

·
Registered
454 Posts
related topic:
does this mean I can get popped for not having insurance or a tag on my dirt bike when I ride it in the alley behind my house? i have been working on it with jetting/brakes/etc. I take it out to test out everything to make sure it works. It would be pretty impractical to change the jetting, load the bike and take it to the trails, check how it runs, then bring it back home.

·
Registered
394 Posts
No symapthy from me. He got what he asked for and now he'll have to pay the price. Do the crime do the time.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Hahah that sucks, why ddin't you're boy just run? Bad timing wrong situation? Anyhow i don't have either on my bike now cuz i just don't feel ike dealing with it and i still have some things i need to put on the bike. But anyhow if you play and get caught you have to pay. However whatever situation it is "i just bought the bike 5 minutes prior and riding it was my only means to get it home". Who knows how the story will go over, but then agian i never get pulled over.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
hyabusa said:
Hahah that sucks, why ddin't you're boy just run? Bad timing wrong situation? Anyhow i don't have either on my bike now cuz i just don't feel ike dealing with it and i still have some things i need to put on the bike. But anyhow if you play and get caught you have to pay. However whatever situation it is "i just bought the bike 5 minutes prior and riding it was my only means to get it home". Who knows how the story will go over, but then agian i never get pulled over.
well, then i hope your shit gets stolen.......ins. is to protect people from you......your the reason i carry uninsured motorist ins..........:mad

1 - 20 of 24 Posts