Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if sport bikes have some type of governor or anything on them that can be adjusted on a bike to restrict its power or speeds or anything like that. So that if a person couldnt afford a bike but had friend or family, who have a bike that is not good for beginners, can adjust the bike for a new rider to use.

·
Autobots! Roll Out!
2,061 Posts
Your right hand :). Sorry, nothing else that I know of. Don't unplug spark plug wires or anything like that, it'll make the bike run like shit.

·
Registered
33 Posts
They should make some sort of restrictor plate for bikes, that way the companies can sell there 600s as beginner bikes. They make them for racecars (nascar) so why not for bikes? I am not a mechanic or anything, but seems like something could be made that could be removed after the owner gets the basics down. What about you custom guys, there could be a huge market for something like this. It would greatly increase a beginners choices and confidence in getting a new bike.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
i know on my zx7 i could set the needles a bit rich and you would get a major flat spot from 6-7k rpm, and after that you'd better be holding on.

that kept me from getting in hot water a few times when I had less experience.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
:spank

Bad idea...

Even with a restrictor plate the bike will go faster than what a newbie can handle, it will just take it more time.

Not to mention that power is not the only factor that makes a bike a bad newbie bike, it is almost everything, from riding position, geometry, brakes, etc.

The FACT is, you can buy a cheap used Nighthawk 250, Ninja 250, EX500, GS500, ride it a season and then upgrade to a better bike.

That is if you are really interested in riding, real riding. If you are in only for the bling/looks, you shouldn't be here at all.

By the way, if you really love riding, there is no bad bike.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
agree.........putting power aside, then you have an oversensative chasis, and monster brakes to deal w/

·
Light it up! Light it up!
1,459 Posts
how about a throttle stop that will only allow the butterfly valves to be opened maybe 50-75 percent? that seems more feesable to me and i think it would work. it would be a huge pain to install and remove a restrictor plate.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Mucho Gonzales said:
it would be a huge pain to install and remove a restrictor plate.
That is PRECISELY the resson for putting one in....being HARD to remove it! :spank

Forget the idea about riding others machines as a newbie(especially if you have NO LICENSE to ride a bike). TAKE the MSF course, get proper gear and get a PROPER beginner bike.

·
Light it up! Light it up!
1,459 Posts
maybe that's precisely why Nascar uses them, but for the usage this guy is looking for it would be a difficult, unnecessary burden.

you may be thinking more along the lines of dwarfed bikes on purpose for newbies. in that case a restrictor plate would be good, but he's looking for a quick fix to let his friends ride with less power so in this instance it is precisely why you wouldn't want to use one. make sense? that's why i said what i did.

so you see, there's no need for the spanking once you understand what this thread is about.

·
Registered
394 Posts
It's only a matter of time before a group of mothers try this. Maybe they could start a group similar to MADD, but name it MACR... Mothers against Crotch Rockets???

·
Registered
681 Posts
Mucho Gonzales said:
maybe that's precisely why Nascar uses them, but for the usage this guy is looking for it would be a difficult, unnecessary burden.

you may be thinking more along the lines of dwarfed bikes on purpose for newbies. in that case a restrictor plate would be good, but he's looking for a quick fix to let his friends ride with less power so in this instance it is precisely why you wouldn't want to use one. make sense? that's why i said what i did.

so you see, there's no need for the spanking once you understand what this thread is about.
Spanking withdrawn...I stand by the rest!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Aren't restrictor plates used across the pond in the UK? With their tiered licensing system, newbies are only allowed to ride bikes under a certain horsepower limit. These plates allow them to ride the bike of their choosing in a restricted form until they qualify for a more advanced license. Might check out UK bike sites or ask your dealer about these.

That said, I'd rather start out on a smaller displacement used bike and buy the bike of my dreams later.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mucho Gonzales said:

Sorry it took so long to respond to this thread, but where in my previous post did I mention letting any friends ride the bike I have never own and will most likely not be owning until next summer if I am able to take the msf course first. I asked this question because I know with some go karts they have governors that restrict their power so that you can only reach certain speeds, I also know that when my little brother was riding my cousins 50 cc dirtbike my uncle was able to adjust soemthing that restricted the speed. So i figured that if there is something for this smaller bike then their should be something similar to be used on a larger bike. And as mentioned in the post above I have learned that in the UK they have something that is able to restrict the horsepower, so if anyone has more information on how I could research that I would appreciate that.

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
They have restriction system that restrict the bike to 33bhp. But why would you get a fast bike and make it slow? Are you that much of a poser? Just get a Ninja 250 or 500 and learn to ride the right way, sell it a year later for the same amount you bought it for (VERY easy to do) and then get the bike you want.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
firefighter81 said:
They have restriction system that restrict the bike to 33bhp. But why would you get a fast bike and make it slow? Are you that much of a poser? Just get a Ninja 250 or 500 and learn to ride the right way, sell it a year later for the same amount you bought it for (VERY easy to do) and then get the bike you want.

There is no poser factor involved. The situation is that i have a few uncles that ride and one has two bikes but tey are both 1000cc bikes. I am going off to college and cant afford a bike right now, but would really like to ride and have access to a bike that would not make a good starter bike. Therefore I wanted to know if there is something I could do too the bike so that it would make it a little for safe for me to attempt learning on.

·
Registered
681 Posts
91lacdeville said:
There is no poser factor involved. The situation is that i have a few uncles that ride and one has two bikes but tey are both 1000cc bikes. I am going off to college and cant afford a bike right now, but would really like to ride and have access to a bike that would not make a good starter bike. Therefore I wanted to know if there is something I could do too the bike so that it would make it a little for safe for me to attempt learning on.
Yes, there is, and it's simple......stay the HELL OFF of those bikes. You don't have a license or ANY training, you need NOT be on a bike, especially liter bikes.

Go take the course, get your license, get your gear......by the time you have done all that(on a college budget) it'll be next year and then you go buy a proper beginner bike.

OR......you get a license from the DMV, buy gear, and BUY THIS bike to get your training in.

·
Registered
522 Posts
save up $2k and buy the proper gear and bike, thats what I did and I'm a poor college kid too. You probably want to stay away from liter bikes if you don't have much experience, but then again, what do I know?

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
how are you doing to disable the newb unfriendly steering geometery and overpowering brakes

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I will most likely not be riding until next season b/c I believe I will have missed all the msf courses for this season by the time i get situated at school. I also want to get all my gear before I ever got on a bike so that will be almost all the money I make during the school year unless i am able to find a good part time job while attending school which I probably wont be able to do until at least the secong semester because I need to get college first and also need to maintain i believe a 3.0 gpa to keep my scholarship. But my paln is to start getting my gear and take the msf course as soon as possible and hopefully purchase my first bike next season if I can afford the insurance. But would a steering dampner not help with some of the steering problems such as tank slap. And Im not sure but I assumed that the sensitivity of the brakes could be adjusted.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts