Sport Bikes banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I ride a 1998 zx9R. I have the bike since a year now. Very happy with it except for the power. I did a lot of reading up before picking it up and chose it over the cbr1100xx because of its more sporty nature.

I've been reading all over the net and mags how 150-160mph is a breeze for the 9R but mine kind of tops out at 90-100mph. I've had it upto 130mph, once. It felt as if the bike was going to fall apart with the vibes. Just for the record i've got maxxiss tyres on.

I was wondering if anyone knows whether kawasaki made restricted 9rs coz thats what mine feels like. Also is there anyway to tell if the bike is restricted by looking at the carbs? Back here in India the is a dearth of good mechanics so it takes a like ages to get an appointment, so getting the guy to go over the bike thoroughly is a bit of a problem because he just doesn't have the time. So if any one you can suggest something or think that you know what is wrong please help me out!

The 130mph run ws also accompanied by a feeling of extreme instability, do you think it could be because of wheel balancing?

Thanks for any help.

RIDE SAFE.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You should have you'r bike checked at you'r local motorcycle dealership.I have a 1999 zx9r that i bought brand new in 99 & have had zero problem's with it & boy that thing run's like a bat out of hell i've recently went about 170+ on it with speedo error comes to about 160 or so give or take a few mph.Back in 99 it was the world's quickest production bike so i'd get it checked see yaa........
Shorty'Dogg

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your answer. Your username sums it up perfectly. Any ideas anyone else?

·
Registered
646 Posts
hmm...should definately be able to get to 130mph consistently without even blinking. first about the instabillity. how old are the tires? bikes, by the laws of physics, are supposed to get more stable as you ride faster. now assuming that you arent going around any turns or leaning, everything else should be fine. are your tires worn? after that i would check the forks to make sure everything is ok with them. are they straight? fork oil is good?
as for not getting high rates of speed, it just sounds like something is blocked. have you checked the air filter? is it clean? what about the gas lines? also, carbs...but im not sure about that one. just sounds like as you go faster, some part of your bike isnt getting what it needs...hope that helps.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks flash. Tyres are new, meaning i've done maybe a 1000 miles so they are scrubbed in. Forks, i've not really checked apart from both being at the same setting. Air filter was replaced with a new one couple of months ago. Carbs have been cleaned and synced umpteem times. I really love this bike and know it's capable of a lot, but something just doesn't seem right. Did wheel balancing really help someone or would i be wasting my time trying it. The whole bike kind of starts to shake violently,(violently enough for me to slow down) On another thought i was thinking whether its just a giant flat spot and i just have to ride through it maybe? could that be it? It usually occurs between 6-8 k throughout the gears.I've always run out of road trying to run through it so i don't know about that bit too.

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
does it have the stock sprockets on it?

·
Registered
475 Posts
violent shaking at 6-8k RPM makes me think there is something seriously wrong with the bike - not a restriction issue or a flat spot in the powerband. Yes, tire balancing is a MUST for something that can routinely travel at speeds in excess of 150mph+. Are those Maxxis tires Z speed rated? On the other hand, you say it happens roughly at those RPM's through all the gears, meaning you don't even need to be travelling very fast for the bike to shake? If that's the case, then it sounds to me like something's unbalanced in the engine, but if it's shaking so bad it forces you to slow down it would almost surely destroy itself each time it happens.

I dunno, you got me stumped...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Do you know if the bike was layed over before you bought it could be a number of thing's causing the violent shakes bent frame,fork's out of wack,bent rim's so on hope this help's...Oh & these problem's should'nt stop the bike,s acceleration that much you should still be getting gob's of power..see yaaa.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys. I'm stumped too. Bike hasn't been laid down, i'm pretty sure. Its running stock sprockets,Dennis. I have to check about the tyres being z-rated, havn't thought about that. R1GsxrKiller, is there a simple way to check the trueness of the frame and forks. Rims i will check.
Thanks again guys. Any more ideas? Could it be a jetting problem? Ting is in India there is no official kawasaki support for these bikes and good mechanics can be counted on two fingers so ppl tend not to mess around with the bikes and pretty much leave them stock maybe except for an end can or so. And we have no dynos.
Can it get any worse lol!

Thanks again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts