Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my FZ6 2 weeks ago, one thing anoys me with it. Not sure if my bike just has a problem or if this is Yamaha's cruel joke on us.

With my old bike, if I stalled it, I could restart it by pulling in the clutch and firing it back up. With the FZ6, I stalled it in a toll both and it would not fire up until I put it in neutral? Is this norrmal? :confused:

It's really damn stressful trying to find "N" with cars backing up behind you at a toll both.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have stalled mine before at the traffic lights, normally from trying to pull off in 5th after not bring the gears down, but no probs about restarting..definately don't have to be in neuatral.normally in first by that stage!

Admitably, mine is 3 months old now and has 2500miles on it..so the engine is truely run in. Yours might just be a little stiff and tight from being so new that is causing it to battle to start in gear.

·
Registered
52 Posts
did you have your kickstand down? if its in gear it won't start with the stand down. Mine will start everytime in gear with the clutch in.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm... Your right.

I just found a little plug (sensor?) on the clutch right on the handle bars that was disconnected. Just plugged it in and it works! Whew, didn't want to give up my new baby to the dealer just yet :)

Now it's perfect!

On a side note, speaking of toll boths, whats the best way to go through one? Takes me a ton of time to stop, de-gear, find change, put gear back on, stall bike, fire back up, take off.... How do you guys cope? I guess I could just move to Wisconsin, IL sucks for traffic/tolls...

·
Registered
75 Posts
narcoden said:
Hmm... Your right.

I just found a little plug (sensor?) on the clutch right on the handle bars that was disconnected. Just plugged it in and it works! Whew, didn't want to give up my new baby to the dealer just yet :)

Now it's perfect!

On a side note, speaking of toll boths, whats the best way to go through one? Takes me a ton of time to stop, de-gear, find change, put gear back on, stall bike, fire back up, take off.... How do you guys cope? I guess I could just move to Wisconsin, IL sucks for traffic/tolls...
I have a electronic transponder that I velcro to the top of the speedo. Easy and is cheaper that way too :D Not sure about your tolls.

·
Registered
205 Posts
narcoden said:
My local toll booth is a dollar so I simply put one in the back of my left glove uner the velcro and when I approach the booth slick it into nuetral and hold out my left hand, they see it everytime and pull itout from the velcro strap and away I go.

If it is change that's needed there are small quarter dispensers like the old PEZ candy dispensers that you can get, fix that to your bike somewhere near your left hand and you should be able to get them out with gloves on.

Here's one on Ebay for a buck, it dispenses 1,2 or 3 quarters at a time.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=39476&item=3925227051&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Or, a transponder if it is a regular occurance for you would be a much safer way to go.

Hope that helps,

Skippy

·
Registered
78 Posts
narcoden said:
I had the same problem with mine when it came in. The clutch switch may come dissconnected from the factory and the dealors forget to plug it in during their haste of assembling the bikes fast.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
exciter99 said:
I had the same problem with mine when it came in. The clutch switch may come dissconnected from the factory and the dealors forget to plug it in during their haste of assembling the bikes fast.
If this is the same sensor I am thinking of, mine was pushed in but the hook part of the coupling was below the coupler. Could have fallen out at anytime. Looked like some was in a hurry. I popped the hook in as soon as I noticed.

·
mmmm FZ6 N(aked)
60 Posts
narcoden said:

Now it's perfect!
Hmm I always thought it was odd that I had to be in neutral to start the bike. It had me worried the very first time I rode it in heavy traffic I stalled at the lights with a truck behind me not wanting to wait while I tried to figure out how to start the damn thing. After reading your post I had a look, and sure enough there was a connector that was unplugged, plugged it in and now it starts in gear with the clutch pulled in.

Thanks for pointing this out. Although it is a little odd that so many bikes have this plug not connected by default?

·
Registered
205 Posts
ozfz6nguy said:
Thanks for pointing this out. Although it is a little odd that so many bikes have this plug not connected by default?

Hmmmm, not sure if 3 out of several thousand bikes sold would constitute (so many).

Although, it is good that the information was shared and could help some folks out.

I would also hazard a guess that it is not that they were not connected when they left the factory ,more that they shook loose during shipping.

If you have ever been around a sea port or major airport with an air carrier and watched the people drive the fork lifts you would marvel that they even started most of the times :leghump

Skippy

·
Registered
492 Posts
narcoden said:
I found my plug disconnected also when I was checking on it couple weeks back. If I didn't come across this post, I would never have known about it. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
616 Posts
mr_frozen said:
Mine's the same way - going to connect it as soon as our new snow melts.
Ditto for my new '07 (found it disconnected). Curious why you need to wait until the snow melts to re-connect yours? Why can't you just do it now so you won't forget? Is the whole bike under a pile of snow or something?:)

Richard

·
The Angry Blue Mantis!
1,849 Posts
They come disconnected from the factory, the dealer often overlooks this when they get the bikes ready for delivery. Mine was the same way.

·
Registered
171 Posts
narcoden said:
Money in a little plastic bag, or correct change loose, in jacket pocket, one glove off, reach into pocket, hand over change, glove back on, then off we go.

·
Registered
48 Posts
rcdrags said:
Money in a little plastic bag, or correct change loose, in jacket pocket, one glove off, reach into pocket, hand over change, glove back on, then off we go.
Or leave a pile of assorted change in the map pocket of your tank bag - then you'll know at a glance that you have enuff instead of arriving at said toll and finding you don't!

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Don't take the highway, avoid the tolls and get MORE riding time on the back roads... Never been through the tolls on mine even though it is the quickest path to work.

·
Registered
539 Posts
toll.... nah u can squeeze by to either the left or right of the arm, or u can try to hide behind a SUV real close and when they pay zoom off withem....

nah JK i dunno my commute has no tolls so i cant help ya thurr but i do know about Fastrak, a electronic gizmo thingy, its way more convenient here in Cali cuz the bay area bridges have specific Fastrak lanes, and well u just drive by like under 10mph and it beeps and u know its good. Ive heard of them not working if u drive by to fast, hence a ticket getting sent to you but then u just show proof of ownership of a fasttrak during ur infraction time and get billed again... simple

1 - 20 of 23 Posts