AGV leather gloves

AGV kangaroo leather gloves

Cortech cold weather gloves

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
^Very nice assortment. :)

Question:

How long did it take you to break in your Spec 1R? Been doing research on it for quite a while (haven't been able to find a shop that stocks them during my travels) and get mixed reviews on sizing (majority says to go one size up, hardcore Suomy fans say stick with your normal size and give it time to conform).

I'm a medium in my X-11 and pretty much an M every other premium helmet I've tried on (RX-7, Corsair V, RF1000/1100, RSR2, though GP Tech felt a bit weird).

I have recently found out that Dennis Kirk has an outlet store (along with their main warehouse) less than 2 hrs north of where I live....so I figure one of these times I get back home to MN I'll head up to DK to try on some hard to find helmets.

Just wanted to hear your input on the Spec 1R.

Thanks in advance.

-Christian

·
Ride.
940 Posts
^Very nice assortment. :)

Question:

How long did it take you to break in your Spec 1R? Been doing research on it for quite a while (haven't been able to find a shop that stocks them during my travels) and get mixed reviews on sizing (majority says to go one size up, hardcore Suomy fans say stick with your normal size and give it time to conform).

I'm a medium in my X-11 and pretty much an M every other premium helmet I've tried on (RX-7, Corsair V, RF1000/1100, RSR2, though GP Tech felt a bit weird).

I have recently found out that Dennis Kirk has an outlet store (along with their main warehouse) less than 2 hrs north of where I live....so I figure one of these times I get back home to MN I'll head up to DK to try on some hard to find helmets.

Just wanted to hear your input on the Spec 1R.

Thanks in advance.

-Christian
The Spec-1R and Extreme both fit me really well for the first 500 miles plus one track day. Approximately.

I, too, am a Medium in other helmet brands, have that Shark RSI now in size medium, fits great! Same goes for HJC in M. The Suomys are size L. Because I didn't like the fit initially in size M. I wish now that I had gone with size M with the Suomys as well.

Based on every helmet I've ever tried on, size medium is what I need. Either that, or that particular helmet make/model does not fit me right at all. Suomy, Shark, HJC, and Arai are the ones that fit me well. All in size medium. Again, I didn't like the M Suomy at first so I bought the L. Now i regret it. But that was over 5.5 years ago for the Extreme and 6 years ago for the Spec-1R. Been fine to wear, but its nice to regularly be wearing a M again (the Shark RSI).

First longer ride today, non-stop wearing the Shark. I love it in every aspect, except after 100 miles or so, it hurts my ears. But that's just the padding, and I expect that it will break in more very soon and the problem will go away.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
helmet: AGV GP Tech 5 continents
jacket: Alpinestars Stage
pants: Alpinestars track pants
gloves: Alpinestars GP Tech
back protector: Alpinestars Bionic
boots: Oxtar TCX

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
The Spec-1R and Extreme both fit me really well for the first 500 miles plus one track day. Approximately.

I, too, am a Medium in other helmet brands, have that Shark RSI now in size medium, fits great! Same goes for HJC in M. The Suomys are size L. Because I didn't like the fit initially in size M. I wish now that I had gone with size M with the Suomys as well.

Based on every helmet I've ever tried on, size medium is what I need. Either that, or that particular helmet make/model does not fit me right at all. Suomy, Shark, HJC, and Arai are the ones that fit me well. All in size medium. Again, I didn't like the M Suomy at first so I bought the L. Now i regret it. But that was over 5.5 years ago for the Extreme and 6 years ago for the Spec-1R. Been fine to wear, but its nice to regularly be wearing a M again (the Shark RSI).

First longer ride today, non-stop wearing the Shark. I love it in every aspect, except after 100 miles or so, it hurts my ears. But that's just the padding, and I expect that it will break in more very soon and the problem will go away.
Thanks for the response, man. See, that's the same feedback I heard from a few guys. Went a size up, and once it broke in it felt normal. Still good, but compared to the guys that stayed thier normal size and dealt with the pain for the first 1000 miles, they say it is like your head is being comforted by a temperputic sphere.

I'm pretty close to pulling the tr***** to buying the standard 1R. Trying to get to Phoenix so I can try it on in person and pick it up there, as a store there seems to be the only one in the nation that has the size and exact graphic design I want. Roulette has been pretty good to me whenever I play, so when I found out the current "Atlantic City" scheme in the Vandal was actually originally the "Van Den Goorbergh" replica on the Spec 1R a few years earlier, well....hell or high water, I was tracking that damn helmet down. :)

Awesome to hear the Shark is working well for you. I FINALLY tried on an RSR2. VERY nice fitting and feeling helmet. Need to stop buying gear, or I'll have no money in the budget left for the bike, lol. Give that RSI some time. The ear cavity area will conform and give your ears space.

helmet: AGV GP Tech 5 continents
jacket: Alpinestars Stage
pants: Alpinestars track pants
gloves: Alpinestars GP Tech
back protector: Alpinestars Bionic
boots: Oxtar TCX
Nice set-up, as well. And, I think it's pretty much mandatory that you post pics of that 5 Conti replica. :)

I wish I could justify buying a helmet I couldn't wear (both due to fitment and my fear of wrecking such a gorgeous design).

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
helmet: Scorpion EXO 400 tsunami
jacket: Alpinestars T-Dyno textile
pants: Alpinestars Drystar
gloves: Fieldsheer Apex
boots: AGV somethingorothers

·
Registered
822 Posts
Helmet:2 Arai Qauntum F- Soon to be RXQ
Jacket: Vanson CSRX
Hot jacket: Vanson Perfed
Pants: Vanson Traveler with adjustable waist, thankfully!
Gloves: Held Galaxy
Boots: Sidi Vertigo

·
Registered
3 Posts
Helmet: Bell Apex
Jacket: Tourmaster Draft or Shift ( for cold weather)
Pants; Jeans for now (working on it)
Boots: Tourmaster Solution
Gloves: 3 different pair

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Just a collective shot of everything I've bought since Sept '09 so far.

Still need a back protector for use with the suit, a secondary helmet, and would really like to get a trip back to MotoLiberty-Dallas so I can pick up the RS Taichi High Protection jacket.

-Christian

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
I got the new A* track vest and it's great.
Very cool. That is what I am leaning towards now more than the Knox vest...just due to the fact the Alpinestars vest can be washed once the back protector is zipped off.

Couple of questions for ya:

How does the material affect sizing? Say, if you are a Medium in an A* jacket, do you get an M in the vest...or should you step down one to a Small so it hugs the body more?

Considering it has generous padding for the chest area and down the front sides of the ribs, could there still be enough room to stuff a stand-alone chest protector in (either underneath the vest, or between the vest and jacket) without it being too bulky?

Thanks in advance. I doubt if I'll ever get anywhere that has it in stock so I can see it in person before I buy, so trying to gather real user info before pulling the tr*****.

-Christian

·
Registered
11 Posts
Scorpion exo400 helmet
MotoGP Battleaxe jacket
Icon Merc2 gloves (until recently stolen-gotta find good replacement)
Blundstone workboots & usually canvas Dickie pants b/c I ride most of the time for my job and those last two items are within "professional" dress code whatever that means. At least it's not a suit and tie-not that there's anything wrong with that. ;)

·
Registered
61 Posts
KBC Magnum Mugello Helmet
Icon Super Duty2 Boots

--Warm Weather
Joe Rocket Phoenix 3.0 Mesh Jacket
A* SMX-2 Air Carbon Gloves

--Cooler Weather
AGVSport Fusion Leather Jacket
Joe Rocket Leather Full Guantlet Kevlar Gloves

Currently wear jeans, but looking to add some riding pants ASAP

·
Registered
907 Posts
Cool weather: A* One O One Leather Jacket..All black
A* SP-S Gloves
Icon Insulated Denim Pants
Icon Accelerant Boots
Shoei X-11 or RF-1000

Warm weather: Joe Rocket Suzuki Replica Textile Jacket
A* SP-X Gloves
Same Pants (Without Liner)
Same Boots
Same Helmets

I'm thinking about getting the Bohn Armored Shorts, and a Back Protector.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Very cool. That is what I am leaning towards now more than the Knox vest...just due to the fact the Alpinestars vest can be washed once the back protector is zipped off.

Couple of questions for ya:

How does the material affect sizing? Say, if you are a Medium in an A* jacket, do you get an M in the vest...or should you step down one to a Small so it hugs the body more?

Considering it has generous padding for the chest area and down the front sides of the ribs, could there still be enough room to stuff a stand-alone chest protector in (either underneath the vest, or between the vest and jacket) without it being too bulky?

Thanks in advance. I doubt if I'll ever get anywhere that has it in stock so I can see it in person before I buy, so trying to gather real user info before pulling the tr*****.

-Christian

I wear a 42 jacket and suit which is a medium. My BP is a medium but I could have gotten a small. If your skinny get the small. Also there is no need for a stand alone Chest protector with the vest. The padding is a lil thicker than you can see and it moves with you. My previous BP was the Alpinestars S-MX Bionic Vest and that chest protector did not move as well as the track vest.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
I wear a 42 jacket and suit which is a medium. My BP is a medium but I could have gotten a small. If your skinny get the small. Also there is no need for a stand alone Chest protector with the vest. The padding is a lil thicker than you can see and it moves with you. My previous BP was the Alpinestars S-MX Bionic Vest and that chest protector did not move as well as the track vest.
Much appreciated, man.

Looking to get to the Kansas City area within the week, as the retail locations for MotorcycleCloseouts has the track vest in stock. So, hopefully dispatch can get me through the area so I can pick one up in person.

Again, thanks for the response. Definitely going to need a small for best fit (5'11 @ 165-ish).

-Christian

321 - 340 of 380 Posts