Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Just a quick one.......

On every other bike I have rode, there has been a switch to go from main fuel tank to reserve fuel tank.

On my FZ6 I cant find one ??

Does that mean that I have to judge the fuel by the (unreliable) gauge, and keep it topped up when hitting say 2/3 bars on the display - or am I missing something ?

Thanks

·
Registered
898 Posts
The gas guage is pretty accurate. When the bike gets to the reserve the last bar will start flashing and the odometer will turn to a mile counter that tells you how far you have been riding since it was flashing. That is your reserve. If you have an owners manual I suggest reading it, that information is in there plus lots of other useful information. If you do not have an owners manual you can download it from Yamaha's website.

·
Registered
898 Posts
The furthest I have gone has been about 28 miles and at that point I was sweating only because I was on the interstate with no gas in sight. Others have gone further, you can search find those posts.

·
Registered
254 Posts
It's supposed to be .95 gallons @ the reserve, so 3.6 liters for you Liverpudlians. I've never pushed it beyond 8 or 10 miles, but in theory you should get 45 miles or so out of it if you behaved yourself.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Reserve Range

Range on reserve will vary with speed and ride conditions, Stop/GO, hwy/city, weather temp hot/cold and acceleration.

Flat terrain @ 55 and 100 degree temps you could go as far as 60 miles.

Stop/Go traffic, hills and cold @/or 85 mph don't expect more than 34 miles.

I have a rule of thumb distance of 38 miles max. After that your on fumes and a prayer.

I have gone 52 miles once. Ran out of gas a mile from a station. Rocked the bike side to side and picked up a few ounces to restart and make it to the filling station. I pumped in 5.3 gallons, but that was cramming ever ounce into the tank, I really should have stopped at 5.2 gallons.:popcorn

·
Registered
136 Posts
I usually try to be sure that I fill up NLT 30 miles on the reserve. I ran out of fuel at 40 once.

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
ChrisUK said:
Hi guys,

Just a quick one.......

On every other bike I have rode, there has been a switch to go from main fuel tank to reserve fuel tank.

On my FZ6 I cant find one ??

Does that mean that I have to judge the fuel by the (unreliable) gauge, and keep it topped up when hitting say 2/3 bars on the display - or am I missing something ?

Thanks

What do you mean unreliable gauge?

·
The Flying Finn
2,594 Posts
well I got 3.5L/100 km once, theoretically if you were stuck at night you could ride it like a fuel saving competition and get close to 100 km. But I'd play it safe and gas up before hitting reserve. It's already got a big tank for a bike, just plan your routes a little.

·
The Flying Finn
2,594 Posts
Also, the reason the FZ6 doesn't have a petcock (the res-off-on switch) is it's fuel injected, there's only one pickup, instead of two at different heights (the way a carbs reserve setup works).

Clear as mud?

·
Saratogian
3,627 Posts
FZS6TLdude said:
Range on reserve will vary with speed and ride conditions, Stop/GO, hwy/city, weather temp hot/cold and acceleration.
And weight (luggage/rider/passenger)...I ran out around 30 on a fully loaded, and I mean fully, FZ6 at about 20F. Got some 2cycle from a farmer and made it to the gas station about 5 miles away.

·
Training wheels
334 Posts
if you run your tank right the way down on reserve all you are doing is sucking up all the crap that has deposited in the bottom of your fuel tank...

I always fill up pretty much as soon as the gauge starts flashing... within a few km's

·
Registered
539 Posts
i hit 39.xx on the reserve and came to a rolling stop, funny cuz last time i rode this loop i was on reserve and i made it 2 the gas station and was planning on it the same time, i was literally like 1 mile short on a straight, i guess i rode her hard through those twisties... wait i did topout 3rd gear and launched a wheelie getting into 2nd, so i guess i ride hard.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The last bar is suppose to start blinking at about 0.95 gal left, but mine always starts to flash when there are about 1.9 gal left. I've gone as far as 49 miles with it flashing and still had about 0.9 gal left. I could have gone another 30 miles or so. After keeping track of this for a little while, you can tell how much you have left when it starts blinking

·
Registered
847 Posts
As stated, it depends on a number of conditions. The traffic, weather, weight, mods on the bike, and, espeically, whether or not you use dino or synth.

As a guesstimate, after you know about what your MPG is, about 70-80% of that (actually 90%, but play it safer) should be about the reserve.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Poutanen said:
Also, the reason the FZ6 doesn't have a petcock (the res-off-on switch) is it's fuel injected, there's only one pickup, instead of two at different heights (the way a carbs reserve setup works).

Clear as mud?
Is that like a vibrator?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.