Sport Bikes banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have anyone ever swap out their bike tach with a car tach? I want to swap my tach out with one of those oversize 5" car tach, but don't want to spend $150 on part and find out it won't work. Logically, it should work as long as the tach have same 3 wires (12V, ground, and RPM input). But I rather learn from other experience than my own.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Finally purchase the tach and install it on the bike

I didn't get any reply on this topic, so I figure it's time to perform my own experiment. :upyours But instead of buying the expensive 5" tach, I picked up a cheaper 2" tach for $25 from eBay instead. The tach works! :cheers

Lesson learned:

Most automotive tachometers have the following wires:
red - 12 v
yellow - 12 v
black - ground
green - iginition coil

The ZX7R has 3 wires going to the factory tach
brown/white - 12 v
blk/yellow - ground
blk/blue - ignition coil

I connected all the wires together (12 v to 12v, ground to ground, ignition coil to ignition coil) and set the switch on the back of the tach to 4cly. The tach works great, and I have $100 left over to spend on the high cost of gas. I might come back and replace the 2" tach w/ 5" tach, but until then I'll hold on to my money. :2devil

Attachments

·
~ Master Technician ~
2,176 Posts
Why did you do this?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I need a cheap tach that will work for my bike. The original factory tach went out and the OEM replacement part is extremely expensive. This was the alternative solution.

·
~ Master Technician ~
2,176 Posts
zx71r said:
I need a cheap tach that will work for my bike. The original factory tach went out and the OEM replacement part is extremely expensive. This was the alternative solution.
$185 doesn't seem that expensive. (ronayers.com) Did you look at a motorcycle salvage yard?

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
It's better than nothing I guess. But my question is will the rev limiter still work since the tack never says it's hitting that red line?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Malik Ross from WI! :upyours The tach only shows up to 10K, but it needle will go pass that. Do the math $25 vs $180... that's not a little. Dumb fucking high school drop out.

Yes.. I check the Internet and SoCal junk yards and the local swap meet and found nada. I found a used tach on Ebay for $120 as-is, and I wasn't going to spend $120 on a used old tach that might not work if I can get away with a temporary tach for $25.

Sometime next year, I should have a decent tach back on the bike, this whole post is just to let people know that if you need a temporary tach for your bike, a car tack will do the job. I check my tach more than the speedometer when riding the bike, so tach is important to me and not having one just won't cut it. But money is tight at the moment and every dollars count.

·
From back in da' day
2,777 Posts
The rev limiter isnt (to my knowledge) is not operated off of the tach. Its off the CDI i believe.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts