Sport Bikes banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone here replace 2 rears or something to every 1 front? I do a lot of commuting on my bike and the rear has no tread left at all in the center. The front tire still has roughly 4 millimetres of tread left. Is it okay to replace just the rear and not the front? I would like to replace both but I can't really afford to do both because I want to goto another track day in August. The tires on my bike right now are Michelin Pilot Sports and I would be replacing the rear with another Pilot Sport.

·
Super Moderator
4,658 Posts
Yes, you can replace the rear and not the front. From the tipe of riding you do (mostly commuting) that shouldn't be a problem at all.

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
i get the same thing i take the turn pike to work and get a flat spot in the middle of my tire. I normaly go to a parking lot and do some circles to get the tread round again this might help you

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
No problem for that is what so many of us do. Also I do not quibble about possibly going to a different make to even a different width such as a 180 on my Honda 929 instead of the stock 190.

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
I do it all the time and have not had any problems, actually I'm replacing the tires tomorrow, both this time though.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I agree with Busarider. The only thing to consider is to get the saem type of tire. don't have a tire that much more or less stickier on on wheel than the other.

·
Registered
138 Posts
scotty said:
I agree with Busarider. The only thing to consider is to get the saem type of tire. don't have a tire that much more or less stickier on on wheel than the other.
Some riders use a sport-touring tire on the back and a street-sport on the front to help equalize tire wear and save money on rear tires. If you rack up A LOT of miles, it might be worth considering. A small difference in compound between the front and the rear isn't going to make that big of a difference if you're not REALLY pushing the envelope (which you shouldn't be on the street anyway.....)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts