Sport Bikes banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My clutch is slipping. When it gets to about 9k on hard throttle it jumps to redline. I'm going to replace it, but I'm wondering if I can get away with just replacing the friction discs and keeping the same plates. On the F4 clutch there are seven friction dics and six metal plates inbetween. I was thinking about just doing the discs and springs, but perhaps this won't be good? Any input? Right now I have the Barnett Kevlar clutch in there and I'm not sure if it used stock plates or not. I'm going back to a stock clutch. Heard they're actually better. Input on this would help too.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Replace everything...I went with just steels and my clutch is slipping again. Im going to go with a stock suzuki clutch.

·
Kawpuke Extraordinare!
1,148 Posts
If the metal plates aren't warped or burned blue then yes you can just replace the friction plates. U might need to check the steels on a piece of glass to make sure they aren't warped. Any that are, replace and any that looked burned blued replace..

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Adower said:
Replace everything...I went with just steels and my clutch is slipping again. Im going to go with a stock suzuki clutch.

Never heard of anyone just replacing the steels. Usually that's the only part that one does not change.

On my f2 I had a Barnett clutch that worked fine. Some people do think OEM clutches are better, but supposedly that came from a time when Barnett's QC was poor.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Adower said:
You kind of did the opposite of what I'm planning to. The friction discs are what grab, and I'm assuming that is what gets worn when you over slip the clutch. I priced it out on Ronayers. Comes out to $120 shipped which is maybe about $20 more than the Barnett if I ordered from Kneedraggers. It would be $70 if I just got the friction discs. Pretty big difference. The only thing that I'm really concerned with is if the steel plates in there are stock or not. If they're aftermarket I wouldn't want to mix them with stock.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Just a thought ...

Mine used to do the same ... slip when it hits powerband. It turned out to be the clutch springs .. the plates weren't worn at all. Replaced said springs with heavy duty aftermarket items & clutch was good as new. They were only about 6 dollars each & I needed 6 of.

Might be worth checking out before shelling out for a new clutch ...

·
Registered
605 Posts
you dont replace just the steels, thats wrong, you can do just the fibers, take the steels out and use some emery cloth to clean them up and take the glaze off, make sure when you adjust the clutch it isnt hanging open

·
Registered
731 Posts
I just replaced mine some weeks ago and it makes sutch a big difference again. Nice feeling but it takes some time until are fully back with it.

·
F-You and Yourspace!
799 Posts
I replaced my whole clutch in the ZX7 with barnett steel, DP springs, and DP friction plates. It rocks.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just placed an order with Ronayers. Ordered everything, plates, friction discs, and new springs. Hopefully clutch will feel sweet when done.

My bike has also been jumping out of gear at high RPM under hard throttle. You think that is also the clutch or a transmission problem?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts