Sport Bikes banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im going to change the brake pads (front and rear) on my friends gixxer750 tomorrow. ive never done pads on a bike before, but ive done about 20 million cars in my 15 years of being an auto mechanic. is there anything out of the ordinary or unique only to bikes that i need to look out for? thanks. :)

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have never worked on a gixxer 750, but I have worked on a lot of cars, and my bikes. I don't even have to remove the calipers on my bike to remove the pads. There is just a retaining clip that is removed and they slide right out. However, if you have to compress the pistons, you might have to remove the calipers. If you have been working on cars for 15 years, I imagine you will figure it out easily.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
buzzard said:
I have never worked on a gixxer 750, but I have worked on a lot of cars, and my bikes. I don't even have to remove the calipers on my bike to remove the pads. There is just a retaining clip that is removed and they slide right out. However, if you have to compress the pistons, you might have to remove the calipers. If you have been working on cars for 15 years, I imagine you will figure it out easily.
ive been snooping around the wheels, and it looks very simple. i was just wondering if theres really any difference between a bikes caliper assembly and a cars. besides the obvious size difference, i dont see any difference at all, and i dont see why there should be.

·
Premium Member
7,390 Posts
If you can change the brake pads on a car, you'll have no trouble changing the pads on a bike. I've never had any trouble changing them.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I changed the pads on my bike recently... due to the overly complicated LBS it was a bit more of a pain in the ass than I thought it would be, but it still only took about an hour.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts