Sport Bikes banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, as the title goes, I replaced my clutch cable on my 2001 GSXR-600 after it snapped.

The new cable went in fine, I followed the same course, everything seems hooked up fine.

When the sprocket cover (Where the cable is anchored) is removed, the bike shifts gears fine, and i cannot move the bike at all in gear, but can in neutral. Once the sprocket cover is in place, but not completely screwed in, the cable works, but for whatever reason, I can push the bike in gear if I put some effort into it. There is heavy resistance but it can be moved. Once I tighten all the screws on the sprocket, the bike is completely movable in gear.

I'm assuming this is because the clutch is completely disengaged and stuck that way. This happens no matter what the tightness of the cable is, whether the lever is so loose its flapping around or if the lever is so tight i can barely move it. It seems to have slight resistance the tighter it is, but I cannot physically make it any tighter.

Any advice? If I can't figure it out by Wednesday, I'm off to the mechanic. I'd hate to spend money on what seems like such a simple repair.

·
Mediocre Strafer
9,137 Posts
Check to see if when the cable snapped abruptly, the clutch arm rotated over-center. See if you can get a look at another bike, or even the microfiche (bikebandit has them) and be sure that you are hooking it up in the same fashion.

Second is that you actually have the right replacement cable - they do kind of look all the same!

Third would be a mechanic.

KeS

1 - 2 of 2 Posts