Sport Bikes banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a year ago, let one of my friends ride my bike in the parking lot after work (Note to self, never let friend ride bike). Yep, it droped. Low speed, nothing cracked, nothing broken, just some light scuffs through some of the wings on the side fairings of my F4i very similar to picture below. (only difference is mine is yellow/black, not silver/black)

Yesterday, I took the fairing off, and I'm going to repaint it and re-decal it. I'm ordering replacement vinyl from Replicals.com. I went to NAPA and got paint, since the entire fairing is just gloss black (all colors are decals, not paint) I was a bit skeptical that the guy gave me a couple of spray cans, but he said it would do the trick. 1 can of primer spray, one can of gloss black, and one can of clearcoat.

I've never painted before, so can anyone offer any tips before I begin?

P.S. If this works out, I'd love to try doing the F3. I was thinking of trying to make it a Smokin Joe, but I'm open to other suggestions.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's the pic of the fairing damage. Like said, mine is like this but yellow, not silver. The fairing is all black base, and color is from vynil graphics

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
I just got an 02 f4i black and silver that has rash just like that on the left side, I figured I would ride it around for a few months before I would buy a new clean fairing just in case I would have a mishap while i'm adjusting to riding again. Although the rash is so minor I thought maybe their would be a way to fix it myself. If 3 cans of paint work for you, let me know cause atleast I can try that before I'd buy a new one :)

·
how bout dem deadskins
3,235 Posts
i know theres a website out there that sales the oem decals, may even be ronayers.com but search google and just replace the entire decals

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's what I'm doing on the one fairing. Just entirely new decal set. I would love to make the F3 a smokin Joe, but cant seem to find any decals. Any good ideas?

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I don't trust paint out of a rattle can. So, I would suggest taking it to a professional painter. It probably wouldn't cost too terribly much to get a black paint coat on it.

·
Crunnnnnnnnnnnnchy
3,067 Posts
Throw a sticker over it and be done.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've never painted, but from 2nd hand knowledge, I've heard the make/break of painting is prep work. If you spend a lot of time and properly prep the fairing for paint, then things go infinitely better during and after painting.

·
Registered
323 Posts
alright i just did this same thing to my r6 and it turned out great w/viper red so i pulled the decals off
2 clean the fairing very well
3 sand the fairing till its all dull but smooth
4 primer it LIGHT COATS ARE THE KEY
5 let that dry
6 before every coat make sure you get all the dust off of it other wise it looks like shite
7 shoot the first light coat of black
8 shoot 2 more coats then sand that down a bit make it smooth refine any little blips you may have caused
9 shoot 3 more coats of light gloss black
10 go to a auto paint store buy a can of clear coat sealer
11 spray a few coats of that on there let that dry
12 clean the fairing off apply decals
13 ride w/ a smile on your face because your displaying your work rather than a lot of money.
good luck its really easy just dont get lazy with wiping it off and many light coats instead of heavy coats is always better.
peace out

·
Registered
323 Posts
heres my work it was really scuffed up on the eges whent down at about 2mph in a turn caught a big rock w/the back tire looks better than new now.

Attachments

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for the tips. I'm gonna get started tonight.

aegraham, thanks for the decal find. Honda looks expensive. but it'll have to do if I cant find any knock off kits.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts