Sport Bikes banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
what's up bitches
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it hard to paint a bike at home by yourself? I mean... a car, is obviously practically impossible without the right tools. But a bike, you can pretty much take off the plastics right? I'm getting an old bike as my first bike anyway and it would really help my choices if i could just NOT CARE about the color ... so that i could paint it myself whatever color I want.

Basically, I read a write-up on my car forum.. newcelica.org and it was pretty detailed on painting plastics and fiberglass parts.. such as the side skirts.

Well, basically here's what i know. Sand the stuff down, get the old paint off. Primer it. Sand it down again (wet sand) and wipe off the excess primer crap. Primer layer it again. Wait till it dries. Spray paint it and then wet sand it gently. Do more layers. Finally, do a nice clear coat on it. All of these can be done by spray paint and a nice clear coat found at pepboys. Now, can you do this process (or similiar) on bike fairings and plastics? I mean it would save me a ton of money if i could do it on my own. Not to mention, i would have to live with a retarded looking bike if i bought some scratched up maroon/yellow/bright neon purple bike or something. :D Well, just a thought.

·
Combat Marshmellow
13,132 Posts
Superstuddc27 said:
i would have to live with a retarded looking bike if i bought some scratched up maroon/yellow/bright neon purple bike or something. :D Well, just a thought.
you mean like this one.....

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
you pretty well have the right idea...

·
Registered
243 Posts
Superstuddc27 said:
i would have to live with a retarded looking bike if i bought some scratched up maroon/yellow/bright neon purple bike or something. :D Well, just a thought.
Yeah, like My purple and neon green F3 (oh well). One of my buddies got done painting some fairings on his bike with a paint he bought at NAPA. Turned out pretty good (a lot better than I thought). I would say it's not dificult, and when you're done, get some decals or a graphics set on ebay to go on there and you'll be set to go. Let me know how it works out. If it was as easy fro you as it was for him, I'm gonna get a set of race plastic for the F3 and paint them Pink/White for the ol' lady to ride. (that and the gucci seat and she'll be thrilled)

·
what's up bitches
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hahah okay thanks. I read a couple of the few "paint your own plastics" threads so i'll let you know when i do this.

·
Registered
92 Posts
when i panted my bike we need a plastic adhesive promoter so the paint could stick if you don't use it your paint will flake off but first you need to wet sand it with a 3m scrub pad and this stuff called final sand, it like a paste but it has "sand" in it,

Attachments

·
No limit hypocrite
1,695 Posts
if you are going for a quality paint job, dont use spray paint. It runs too easy, and dries with an ugly and severe Orange Peel texture.. It will pass, but will definitely look like a spray can job.. I suppose you can sand out the orange peel, but it will double your work time on it.. If you have $150 extra, buy a professional spray gun...

either way, it helps if you buy some plastic sheeting at Home Depot of somewhere. Cheap stuff like the plastic that painters lay on the carpet.. Hang it from the ceiling of your garage, and make it into a poorman's "paint booth". It will go a LOONNGGGG way towards keeping dust and stuff out of your new wet paint.

·
Registered
273 Posts
If you do go this route ( which I advise against) make sure you get lacquer and not enamel. Lacquer dries much quiker and you will have your best chance at getting a good finish with wet sanding between coats. I completely agree with the cheap paint booth because trust me if there is a bug or dust within 5 miles of where you're painting it will end up in your paint job. Something you might want to check alot of place that sell automotive paint have booths you can rent along with guns and compressors and you could do it right and end up with a really good job. The pieces are small and the nice thing about lacquer is if you screw up wait 15 minutes sand it down and start over. :beer :beer

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok after a couple of days lurking, this thread caught my eyes and made me register........ Go with the spray paint and do 3 practice goes before you paint the bike, take your time. That is if you are new to painting, I have been painting cars and bikes for many years (worked at a shop also). And I am currently restoring my 86 750 VFR with chameleon SPRAY PAINT. Punkwood had it right about the orange peal, theres no getting around that with crappy spray paint clear... So you have 2 options

Option 1... 2-3 days after painting your fairings/bike (and practice before) get 1500 grit sand paper and wet sand it to perfection, take your time. Buy some meguires medium cut,, its like 4 out of a 1-7 scale, get a buffer or a buffer attachment for a drill (what I use :) ) and buff it good with the meguires cutter... Then get yourself some 3m glaze and wipe it with a cloth (microfiber) all over your painted/sanded parts.. your bike will look like a proffestional paint job... Finish off with some wax, that way you dont have to glaze it each couple days to keep it purty.. cause all the glaze does is take all of the dirt/shit off of the clear coat.

Option 2.. after priming, sanding and then doing your 2-13 lol coats of color, you can take your fairings/tank to a paint shop (have to be carfull and have plastic lined BIG boxes) take it to the shop about 4-5 hours after painting, or when the paint is still a lil tacky.

any other q's just ask me

Oh ps,, check out DUPLICOLOR Mirage paint... For 160 bucks in (expensive) spray paint, my bike is going to be completlely chameleon.. Just got my big side fairing painted yesterday, and tomarrow I get to sand it all down... herrrs a pic, a month ago, with minimal paint work done

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts