Sport Bikes banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently found out that Jardine is pretty crappy exhaust. And mine is really loud. I dont mind the sound when its going down the road from outside, but riding it, its pretty annoying.

So is repacking the exhaust worth it or would it be better to just replace it with something better? Where do you get the repacking crap? Ive never done that before, but from what I hear its pretty easy.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Exhaust packing is around $5-15. Its easy although you are going to get fiberglass needles on you lol. When the exhaust packing is all burnt out you also lose power.

·
Registered
743 Posts
FMF says your engine can suffer power loss from the packing. I plan on doing mine soon as it's getting raspy sounding.
although my packing is $40 of course. all the other packing they sell is $8.

they have a video of how they do it,

Rider Support - Muffler Repacking - FMF Racing
Packing is packing. They do sell special pillow packing and kits etc... you just pay $32 extra to not get fiberglass on your hands or wrestle with it.

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
Packing is packing. They do sell special pillow packing and kits etc... you just pay $32 extra to not get fiberglass on your hands or wrestle with it.
mine has 3 different layers to it. it's not just fiberglass. it has a fiberglass fill (billowy white fiberglass stuff), a fiberglass matting (like what you'd use to build farings with) and a layer of what looks like steel wool.

mine uses the 19" premier multi layer stuff. I'm glad I don't have the apex exhaust. it uses $60 stuff.

FMF is expensive stuff. very well known in the off road world. none of their stuff is cheap(price or quality). they're basically the leo vince and akrapovic of the dirt bike world. they're just not a big name in the street world. I wouldn't have bought what I have but it was on ebay brand new in the box for $180. I couldn't pass it up since my stock can got dented.

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
got my can apart this afternoon. man it really needs repacked bad. I put the can on there in 2004. lol I suspect this damage came from when I started doing track days with it. the exhaust gets damn hot when you keep it at 13k+ rpms for 20 mins.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Exhaust packing is around $5-15. Its easy although you are going to get fiberglass needles on you lol. When the exhaust packing is all burnt out you also lose power.
The last part is my biggest reasoning. Besides the drone at highway speeds.

·
Registered
743 Posts
The last part is my biggest reasoning. Besides the drone at highway speeds.
On my WR250X, the powerloss at high RPMs was enough that it cost me ~5-8mpg depending on speed and had me in the habbit of down shifting to 5th to go from say 45-60mph. After repacking I had an "oh crap! feels like I installed a big bore kit!" Of course, with a bike that has so little power to begin with and needs ALL of it, the differences are much more pronounced.

Mine has steel mesh, then finer steel mesh, then fiberglass. Only the fiberglass burns up. They offer the fancy kits for my exhaust, but I just got the plain ol stringy type four stroke packing. I'll leave the fancy kits to people with better paying jobs than I ;) . With 12k miles on the packing it didn't look too bad, most of it was in good condition except for a big burned out void near the end cap. Probably due to my quiet core insert.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
I've been wondering about this and how easy it is. I just hit 60k on the F4i this week and I've put 20k of that on it since I've gotten it. I seriously doubt the exhaust has EVER been repacked and I know that the yoshi was on it when the bike was originally bought with 16k on it. Think the kits are about 30 bucks, so I guess I'll have to spring for one this month.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts