Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Perhaps this is a silly question, dunno, but I've never pulled wheels off a motorcycle before. :D Is it desirable to remove the rotors (marking positions) before taking a wheel to a shop to have a tire mounted? What sort of stand(s) will I need? Do I just need a front wheel stand and use the center stand for the rear? I've always, in the past, had a shop fool around with this sort of stuff, so I'm a bit in the dark in this area, lol.

I've stared at my PP's sitting in the corner for too long now...time to mount them. Might as well while this hurricane stuff makes a mess of the weather. :D

·
V-twin anyone?
2,161 Posts
You can leave the rotors on. Just make sure you have a good control on where the spacers are. They sometimes fall off.

For the front wheel, you'll need some sandbags or bags of fertilizer, basically weight on the very rear of the tail to lift the front off the ground, when using the centerstand. You'll also need a 19mm hex head socket to loosen the front axle.

For the rear, just use the tools in the tool bag and you'll be good to go. Don't forget to get a good control on the rubber cush drive stuff for the rear rim.

What tires do you plan on mounting? I have the PPs on mine right now, but I'm just not too impressed with them. They have loads of grip, but I can break the traction on them. Maybe it's the torque of the RC51 that causes it, who knows.

·
Bennedetto!
508 Posts
Ok, not to sound like a complete idiot (because really, I'm not... I think :slaugh ) but can one of you more experienced people out there give any advice on removing the front wheel and putting it back on (if it's not just the reverse of removing it)? I'll need to take my front wheel off in a while to take it to the dealer to get the scratches they put in it while taking it off and remounting it fixed (isn't that nice of them to fix it?) and while I'm mechanically inclined and can do anything with a good set of instructions, I lack instructions and I don't want to f*** anything up. Also, I know in my owners manual it has a bit on this on page 6-35 and 6-36. I can follow those directions, I guess what I'm looking for from ya'll is practical advice, do's and don'ts, etc.

Edit: I know I'll have to torque the axle nut down when I put the wheel back on, I have a 3/8 torque wrench right now. If I get this 19mm hex http://www.mcmaster.com/ (search on 5571A79) for a 1/2 socket can I still use my 3/8 with a converter or is that messing with the laws of physics? (I'm guessing I'll have to get a 1/2 torque.)

Thanks for helpin the noob.

:newbie

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
1) Flip the bike upside-down.
2) Don't do anything else to the bike if you did step 1.:lao

3) Get/download a copy of the service manual.

4) Follow instruction on tire removal and installation.

I hope this helps.:)

Excuse the smartass comments. Good luck.

·
V-twin anyone?
2,161 Posts
Like my previous post. Bags of fertilizer, bags of sand, or have someone on the pillion seat until the front wheel lifts off the ground. If you use the last method, they'll have to sit awhile until the wheel comes back.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Found it easier if your doing both wheels or the front to just put it on the center stand and then I used a floor jack and scrap piece of 2X6 wood to jack it up just under the exhaust to help hold the front end up as I changed rims ealier this year. Follow directions in the manual and it works fine but it is pretty strait forward. As for the torque wrench I would think it be okay to use a adapter since your still be exerting the same amount of pressure to tighten the bolt but I am sure there are more qualified people to answer that question here. :lao

·
Registered
135 Posts
Yes, it is fine to use an adapter for your torque wrench. I use them all the time on Helicopters, and we have various adapters and extensions and crows feet that we use all the time. You won't have a problem with the adapter. Good luck and have fun!

·
Registered
898 Posts
The only time you have to worry about changing the torque value is when you put some sort of adapter on the torque wrench that extendeds the torque point beyond the top end of the torque wrench.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
biker6 said:
Wise guy huh? Nyuck nyuck nyuck. :moon

So how do I get it upside down?

:neener
Rev the bike up to about 12,000 and drop the clutch.

·
Registered
104 Posts

·
Bennedetto!
508 Posts
To everyone: Thank you for your feedback, I really appreciate it!!!!

:cheers :dblthumb

RamCutter: Here's how it went down. I drove to the dealer and they said I could wait (when the service was scheduled) but when I got there they were like, "oh, we can't get it done for another 3 or 4 hours." Thanks guys. So then I basically did laps around the store for 4 hours. I think during that time the owner may have seen me. When I got home I was wiping the wheels down when I noticed the scratches (they are not to the metal but the silver paint is scraped away and you can see the base coat which is a flat grey). I called the dealer the next day and asked for the owner. To my surprise they said, "Hold please" and then the guy picked up the phone. I told him that his people have been the only ones to ever touch the wheel, and that the wheel is brand new (and I'm being very literal, it's frickin new, less than 100 miles on it) and that when I got home I saw a big nasty scratch. He said, "And you want me to fix it?" I said back, "Listen, I'm not the type of guy that's gonna call someone up and yell at them and expect results, I just wanted you to hear my side of the story and I'm wondering what you think?" He replied back, "I know this kinda stuff happens and I don't want you thinking bad about my service department so I'll fix it for you. I know this great painter that does excellent work doing touch-ups." He then proceeded to offer discounted parts or a tire mounted for cheap etc., in other words he wanted to make it right and offered many ways to do so.

I think there are a few things that made this happen the way it did:

1. I didn't yell at the guy, I just told him what was up.
2. Excluding the time that the bike was out of their hands, I could 100% w/o a doubt prove that they had been the only ones to touch the bike because the wheel was on a bike purchased from that dealer.
3. I talked to the owner.

I honestly was not expecting such good results, but hell, I'll take it!!!

I hope that helps.

·
Registered
104 Posts
biker6 said:
I think there are a few things that made this happen the way it did:

1. I didn't yell at the guy, I just told him what was up.
2. Excluding the time that the bike was out of their hands, I could 100% w/o a doubt prove that they had been the only ones to touch the bike because the wheel was on a bike purchased from that dealer.
3. I talked to the owner.

I honestly was not expecting such good results, but hell, I'll take it!!!

I hope that helps.
Glade to hear your owner cared more about your business than mine did. I did 1,2 & 3 of your's above exactly. The problem was #2. Someone else did touch the bike. You did! At least that's what I was told. But in the end it all turned out okay. I'm taking my wheel to them this weekend to get it powder coated. :)

·
Registered
104 Posts
segue00 said:
Yeah, you were definitely yelling!!!!!:lao
Well.... I didn't start out yelling. :chair

·
Bennedetto!
508 Posts
:eek:nfloor You guys crack me up.

Well I'm glad you're getting taken care of. What color are you having them powder coated?

·
Registered
104 Posts
biker6 said:
What color are you having them powder coated?
Black, the same as stock. I have the '05 silver with the black wheels.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts