Sport Bikes banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
14,902 Posts
He did a great job explaining why NOLA did what they did. I was struck when he was talking in terms of what they hadn't done too.

This sits near the site of Lumkins Jail or "the devil's half acre," a slave holding facility.

At Tredegar Iron Works, the foundry that produced over a thousand pieces of rebel artillery and iron cladding for the CSS Virginia they placed

Arthur Ashe resides on Monument Avenue.

And just last month a new monument and plaza were dedicated downtown, at the entrance to Jackson Ward, to Maggie Walker, the first african american women to charter a bank in the US, as well as being a newspaper publisher, teacher, civil rights leader, entrepreneur and mother. She's also the namesake of the Governor's School here.

On the other side of Jackson ward is a monument to Bill Robinson, the highest paid african-american entertainer in the first half of 20th century

On Capitol Square we have the Virginia Civil Rights memorial

Richmond has done alot of things wrong over the years, but they've also done and are doing many things right. I hope the process continues.

·
Premium Member
13,419 Posts
Cool. I'd like to see that. I was last in Richmond about 7 years ago on a motorcycle X-country ride from Oregon. I don't think that museum was there. But I saw the Confederate White House and capital grounds. Richmond's a cool city, actually. I rode all over the state. If you're a history buff Virginia's got plenty of it.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
The monuments here were put up around the time that sons and daughters of those Confederates were losing and had lost them. It was also in the era that Richmond was finally fully recovering and had the financial means to commission & erect them. At that time they were all privately funded (over the course of 10 or more yrs) and erected on private lands that developers were hoping would nudge expansion of the city to the west. The ownership passed to state & local governments later.

I'm just as certain that Jim Crow played into it for alot of people. 100,000 people gathered for the Lee Monument dedication.

Had they stayed in private hands on private land, nobody could say shit about them. The state and local governments should have not acquired them.

And I'm sick and tires of hearing they are a part of history. It's a history of racism and hate and violates the equal protection clause of the constitution and they should not be owned on places buy the government on public lands.

·
Registered
11,961 Posts
History is what it is and should be remembered. But, we don't have to have heroic memorials to things like a fight to preserve the subjugation of fellow Americans, nor do we need memorials that were erected as part of the Jim Crow effort to somehow legitimize racism. Getting rid of that shit isn't the same as wiping away history. It's acknowledging the shamefulness of that history. If supposedly prideful southerners were truly proud of southern heritage, they would face it, not whitewash it. I have no sympathy for the apologists for monuments to treason and slavery.

·
Premium Member
13,419 Posts
I skimmed it. It's pretty much either half truths or pure bullshit in my opinion. I won't get into chapter and verse. It's more than I want to write right now.

I've been getting a lot of "stuff" sent to me in support of all the johnny-come-lately reasons as to how Charlottesville (and even the Civil War) occurred. What I notice is that they are extremely wordy and usually written by someone who has no credentials other than opinion.

I guess I'm not particularly surprised, really. Not too many years ago I once had dinner with a very middle class family in Atlanta. Very nice time...until the conversation inevitably drifted off to North vs. South type stuff. The husband was very circumspect and careful, but as we got into it, the wife just laid it on the line: Abraham Lincoln was the worst fucking president in the entire history of the United States. Welcome to 1865, I thought.

·
Registered
11,961 Posts
Beyond bullshit. It was entirely an attempt to reframe the Civil War. The south seceded to preserve slavery. Period. Read the articles of secession. It's very clear what their intent was. The rest is all revisionist crap by people who wish it was a little more heroic. It wasn't. It was venal and racist. Christianity vs. Secular Humanism as a reason for the Civil War? Really? Somebody said that? If that doesn't tell you the author is a sack of shit, nothing will. Listen to the Battle Hymn of the Republic and get back to me. The idea that the preservation of Christianity has ANYTHING to do with ANY attempts to preserve slavery just proves that the person with that idea isn't a Christian, no matter how much that jackass says so.

You can say anything you want. Going to RacerX's cartoons, he can post what he likes. He can say what he likes. He can think anything he wants. He can pretend that the left is censoring his right to be an idiot in public and to pretend that racism isn't racism. But, being an idiot in public doesn't make you any less of an idiot. Revisionist history doesn't change facts. The fact is that the Civil War was about slavery. Anybody who says different has been soaking up stupid and deliberate ignorant for a little too long. Ah, what the heck. Texas is a hotbed of fake Christian stupid these days anyway. It will change over time.

·
the joke is in your hand
8,588 Posts
not sure if anyone said this yet....museums are the most appropriate place. why are we erecting monuments to generals who were traitors and they lost the war...
kind of asinine in my opinion.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts