Sport Bikes banner

Removing gas tank to change air filter

4K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Damiengrice94 
#1 ·
My 600f2 manual says I need to take off the gas tank to get to the filter... are there any do's and dont's for this?

I will be getting a bikestand in a few weeks....so hopefully I can do this soon.

thanks!

#2 ·
you don't need a bikestand to do it. Just remove the rear plastics, unbolt the 8mm bolt in the front of the tank, unbolt the 12mm in the back of the tank (under the seat) and pull it up. Then you will have two hoses going to your petcock you need to remove. One of them is the fuel supply line, the other is the vaccuum line that operates the petcock. Once those are off, the tank is free. should take you about 15 minutes.

#4 ·
MT Wallet said:
adamf2

fellow f2 owner!

how do I drain the gas from the tank?

will fuel come spurting out when I remove the hoses?

thanks for replying :)
You'll get a little coming out of the hose, but once the hose empties, nothing else will come out. There is a little vaccuum operated diaphragm in the petcock that won't allow fuel to leave the tank unless there is vaccuum present. You shouldn't have to drain the gas tank unless it's full of old gas.

#8 ·
Not positive this will help you but, here are two tricks I have for dealing with the tank on my F4i without disconnecting the fuel lines.

1)
a. Park under the rail of the garage door.
b. Unbolt the tank
c. Run tie wire (or good string) from the front bolt hole on the tank, over the garage door rail.
d. Adjust the wire/string and tie it off (back to the front bolt hole) to support the tank while you work.

2)
a. Unbolt the tank.
b. Cover the tank with a micro fiber cloth.
c. Tip the tank up.
d. Run a piece of tie wire from the front bolt hole back to the tie down bolt on the side of the tail fairing (some bikes have them, some don't).
e. Wrap the tie wire around the tie down bolt after lifting the tank to the desired height.

#10 ·
so I’ve taken my cbr 600fr2 to bits and I am currently rebuilding, now on the fuel ya k there is a little male bit sticking up where fuel comes out and connects to picture two there the fuel pipe is just above the white Tank and the pipes runs down into picture 3 but for the life of me I don’t know where it connects... any help please would be grateful appreciated

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.