Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I'm thinking about getting into an r/c hobby, not totally sure which one though. boats are out and I'm not really into planes and staying on pavement so that leaves me with the heli's and the off-road cars/trucks.

so, getting into the hobby, any advice start up stuff?

what do you do, your set up? general discussion

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Oh I remember this stage too.

Good luck..its lots of fun (well im sure it is if you use it more than once) :eek:

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
actually the electrics seem to be getting real big, especially off road. I'm leaning mroe toward a crawler right now though. it's something that isn't just "go fast and get there first," more technical than that

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I would recommend Heli's for the ultimate fun and challenge.
These things are just amazing and there's a lot more to setup on these heli's technically.
I have nitro truck too, but heli's can do things that are just out of this world.

Check out.
RunRyder - RC Helicopter Home

Watch the "Crazy Sticks" video here.
RunRyder - IRCHA 2007 HELI JAMBOREE - IRCHA - rrEvent Topic

It's not easy learning, most people start with some airplane experience.
You'll definitely need to find a club and have some help you out.

A Raptor 50, is a good place to start. It will last you through learning to hover, through beginning 3D.
Raptor 50 Titan PRO Almost Ready to Fly!-Heliproz

Attachments

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
I bought a $500 dollar gas truck a couple of years ago. It was really fast. It was fun the first three or four times, and then it got to be a pain in the ass, so I sold it. The chopper looks like it might be more interesting though.

·
Banned
19,161 Posts
Im with psudy ,I bought a nitro powered stadium racer, loads of fun but they break shit super easy and the damn motors are a pain in the ass. think I ran it for two months and its been broke down ever since.

Get an electric one if you get something. Thats what I was told, and I wish I had listened to the advice.

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
it all depends on how serious you are about it and what kind of area you have to play in . if you have a local rc track then a buggy or truck would be fun. if you have a large open field or a rc plane club then a heli would be a great challenge but they can be expensive with crashes. on a side note on heli's at most hobby stores they sell a sabre strike heli that is only 50 bucks or so and you can fly indoors and it will tell you if its something you really want to spend big money on.

also imo i like having nitro because you can run and run and run as long as you have fuel to put in the truck but can be a pain to tune and work on and electric you can only run as long as you have battery but are alot easier to work on i think

·
Shut the **** up and ride
5,031 Posts
2 things:

1 - make sure you have a local racetrack/field/dirtfield/anything to rip it in
2 - have the money to maintain and run your r/c vehicle

got into this phase in highschool. bought a 500$ Traxxas T-Maxx offroad truck, top of the line. drove it a few times and just ended up being way too much maintainence and money to shell out to drive the fuckin thing. still have it...need to clean it up, tune it up, and sell that thing asap.

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
R/C planes are what I like. I have never owned one, but flown a few friends. If you have a nice open field or even better, an actual RC airfield, they can be loads of fun.

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
HPI Savage 4.6ss. There are plenty of hop-up's plus they work with t-maxx parts. Just know once you start, you'll be dumping a lot of money into it.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
that's one fo the biggest issues, money, all of the good stuff cost big bucks. but for the maintenance side of things I think I'll enjoy that, that's kind of what I'm looking for. it's just that initial hit, and as said with the heli's: wrecks can cost ya

·
Registered
104 Posts
I was into it years ago... had planes, off-road cars and boats and messed around with heli's a little. I always liked the cars the most, just need a little room to use 'em.

Boats are a pain because you are fighting water getting to anything and when they have issues you gotta have some way to get it back.

Planes/helis were loads of fun, but one crash and you are paying to fix it. I remember I took one plane out the first time and a servo went wacky and it crashed 10 seconds into the first flight... not so fun.

I had really good luck with nitro buggies. Had one that was just a regular buggy style (rear wheel drive) when I was like 16. Used it for years and never had to do much more than replace some gears and suspension stuff when I hit stuff too hard. Found it in storage a few years back... filled it up with gas, put street tires on it and and it fired up in about 10 minutes and ran like it was new. That thing must have had 25-30 gallons of fuel run through it in its lifetime.

Cars are going to be the cheapest, and you can always use Ebay to get something cheaper (used). I know some of the nitro ones started using transmissions with multi-speed gearing and reverse gears. IMO makes them loads more fun than electrics that you have to recharge every ten minutes, and that lose power as the battery gets weaker. If you buy used just take care of it and if you decide it gets boring then resell it all (Try to avoid hobby shops, use Ebay or Online stores).

·
Premium Member
7,390 Posts
I use to be into Nitro Trucks. All I have to say is this; they're fun as hell when they're running but unfortunately 75% of the time you own them you'll be working on them. Lots and lots of maintenance and even more money.

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
I use to be into Nitro Trucks. All I have to say is this; they're fun as hell when they're running but unfortunately 75% of the time you own them you'll be working on them. Lots and lots of maintenance and even more money.
Yup... Paid $300 for my touring car back in 01 and dumped about $700 into it. It has been sitting in my closet since 02.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts