Sport Bikes banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm remodeling my bathroom and part of what I am doing is removing these tacky plastic 6x6 tiles on the wall and replacing them with wainescotting(bead board) I'm supposed to put construction adhesive on the back of the wainescotting before putting it up. My question is this. The tacky tiles had adhesive put on them to hold them up. Can I apply adhesive on the back of the boards and then just stick it up over the old stuff or do I need to scrape the old stuff off?

·
Lowlife
7,019 Posts
I'd scrape it off to get a fairly even surface and nail them up with a finish/brad nailer. Goes really fast.

·
Swollen Member
4,967 Posts
+1

I would make sure to scrape it off first.

Let's say that the old adhesive is really old and not sticking so well. So the new adhesive that you put on is just gonna stick to the old stuff that isnt holding well....so your kinda up shit creek without a paddle.

If you scrape the old stuff off, you get more soild surface area to adhear to.

·
rebel litre
3,748 Posts
remove all the old shyte and save yoursself some trouble down the line

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Man, your starting to turn into Bob Villa.
if i had his money i'd be him any day of the week....

well the reason i posted this question is because i have no idea how long the old stuff has been there....its stuck on pretty damn good....some of the tiles even ripped off the paper to the drywall they were stuck so good...

i might be better off buying a sheet or two of drywall and replacing what's there because honestly its gonna be a fucking pain in my ass to scrape it off....as you can see....

·
Registered
13,267 Posts
Always Blast when doing tear out. It's way more fun!!! :banana

Remember as it gets closer and closer to completition the trips to the local Home Depot will become much more frequent.
Remember as you get near completition the changes can sometimes be b***** than the inital job..... this happens MUCH more if the wifey has a hand in the design or plans.... also realize wifey will be increasingly cranky, abusive and possibly violent as project nears finish date. This rule applies 10X if you go beyond estimated completition date!!!

Generally your beloved ZO6 or other personal "fun" car isn't a good canidate for Home Depot runs... :a2

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well if your wife doesn't appreciate the Z06, i'd gladly let you store it in my garage

·
Registered
13,267 Posts
CBRAWR said:
well if your wife doesn't appreciate the Z06, i'd gladly let you store it in my garage

HAHA :lao thats the spirit!!! :beer Be sure to hide the dynamite before leaving on a materials run!!!

·
Habitual line-stepper
11,594 Posts
Just scrape off all the loose shit, and make it smooth enough that what's going on top will look good. The construction adhesive will stick to that no problem, all the little grooves in it will actually help it stick, if anything.

Obviously, you don't want to put adhesive on something that isn't stuck to the wall, but don't waste the time trying to get that ceramic tile adhesive off... take it from someone that's been there.... several times..... it SUCKS...

:D

(and get the Liquid Nails stuff in the caulking tubes. It'll save you a ton of time. :) )

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
its not ceramic tile adhesive...its the brown construction stuff.......the tiles were made of plastic :)

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i know this is off topic......but i started another project today since it was warm out....now my backyard looks like a bomb went off in it......i cut some big bushes down and pulled up some patio bricks and i had to buy about 16 bags of 40lb top soil to fill them in......and thats not counting what ill have to put down after it rains good on it and packs it down.....i burned leaves for a good 2-3 hours because no one has lived in this place for 3 years before me and there had to be a good inch or two of leaves......all this to get some damn grass seed planted......boy im dedicated...

·
Go #214!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2,390 Posts
Use the construction adhesive called PL200, works great and is meant for areas that are subject to moisture. That stuff would definitly stick to the old adhesive/wall.

G

·
I redid my main bath last spring. In these types of situations your better off tearing out the drywall, and putting up some greenboard. Leaving the old adhesive is just covering up someone elses mess. Plus its quicker than trying to sand or remove the adhesive.

·
Swollen Member
745 Posts
In my case, I ripped off the drywall and rebuilt. Plus, I redid the outside faucet and wall insulation while the wall was open, too. Good to know shit won't freeze.

Drywall goes quicker than scraping, even if it takes longer.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts