Sport Bikes banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to take out the old '99 ZX6R today on the backroads of North Tx as it was a nice, sunny day. I've been riding the Guzzi and the VFR lately but not today. There were some beautiful wide open roads with some nice sweepers up in the North East corner of this place I call purgatory.
While exercising the bike I remembered how much I love the sound of that carbureted bike wide open and screaming. I bounced off the rev limiter a few times just listening to it wail. I find I enjoy the sound of the older bike to the newer FI bikes I have, it just sounds and feels more guttural, more raw. It may not have the fancy fly by wire, smooth linear feel of the newer bikes but it is a helluva lot more fun!!!I even like the way the exhaust burbles and pops, unlike my newer bikes, maybe I should get the mixture adjusted......nahh, I lke the personality it has. :)

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
I've owned 2 carbed bikes and 2 fi bikes.
I'm not biased one way or the other. My F4i had a snatchy throttle. My vfr is smoother by a large margin. My sv650 was snatchy and unhappy at low rpm. My vtr was much better in both regards.

The sound you love so much is the engine aand exhaust moreso than the fueling system. My F4i would pop and burble on hard deceleration too.

Reactions: mfromphilly1

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
True........but I guess I just like thinking it's the cable actuated butterflies lending to it, purely in my head. Just the nostalgia of a simple bike with less computer driven stuff, no mapping involved :)

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
FI bikes are easier to live with, they don't need a choke, and if you're like me, you don't have to worry about them sitting unridden for too long as injectors do not gum up.

But I've yet to ride a FI bike that is as smooth as a carburated one. And if you're not letting the bike sit unused for extended periods of time, there are little downsides to carburetors. I went on a ride yesterday on the XJR1300, it's a blast from the past, much slower than the SV1K, requires more skills to ride fast, but it is MUCH more rewarding...

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't mind the choke, adds a bit of nostalgia to the whole thing. Guess I like simpler sometimes

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
I'm with you Tod. The carbed bikes I had were all very older models (obviously) but I found them much smoother and even better throttle response (for their sizes). They also do tend to sound more 'motorcycle'-like, what I would expect. My 650r was a twin with FI...it was just weird sounding, even with quite a few mods.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Try out a Daytona 675. It's got the gurgling/popping on deceleration naturally.
I've actually been thinking about the Daytona for a couple of years now, I think I will have to get a little more serious about it!!

·
Registered
21,263 Posts
Look up sound clips of the Daytona with a full arrow system. It is amazing. Sadly I still have stock right now. It had a Micron when I bought it, but it literally cracked in half when I was on the track.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
FI bikes are easier to live with, they don't need a choke, and if you're like me, you don't have to worry about them sitting unridden for too long as injectors do not gum up.

But I've yet to ride a FI bike that is as smooth as a carburated one. And if you're not letting the bike sit unused for extended periods of time, there are little downsides to carburetors. I went on a ride yesterday on the XJR1300, it's a blast from the past, much slower than the SV1K, requires more skills to ride fast, but it is MUCH more rewarding...
injectors absolutely can and do "gum up" from sitting. ethanol fuel is evil.

Reactions: mfromphilly1

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
The choking is the biggest thing I don't miss now that I'm on the Z (FI). Turn on the ignition, wait for the pump to prime, press the start button.

The ZX6r (99) is a sweet bike. I had the dumbed down version (08 ZZR) and loved it. It did have a very sweet sound, especially with the Yoshi on without the quiet core. >=)

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
We use real, fine, aged, dinosaur juice down here, not the crap you guys call gasoline. :santafinger
oh? your fuel isn't 10% corn shit?

that'd be the first I've heard. Minus Shell V power (shell absolutely refuses to run 10% evilnol in their premium fuel here) it's all 10%.
hell even diesel is up to 5% biomass.

bottom line, injectors can and do plug up.

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
For diesel it makes sense. They should use all of the government subsidized corn for diesel and NONE for gas. It's not the 1980's anymore, Washington D.C.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
except that modern diesels don't like biomass in their fuel unless they are made for it.

yes, you can make a diesel like biodiesel.

no, they don't come from the factory like that. hell, they don't like modern ultra low sulphur diesel to begin with either. there's a reason that diesel treat sells. cause it works.
and if ya think that 5% biodiesel doesn't matter, run some stuff with none and see how that works.

betchya it's no different than running ethanol free fuel in a vehicle. you'd probably see a small gain in power and fuel economy.

also, it does not, ever, make sense to take our food and use it for fuel.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts