Sport Bikes banner

Motorcycle accidents

• Yes I have have been in one that was not preventable (serious)

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • yes i have been in one that was preventable

Votes: 26 27.1%
  • yes, but gear saved my life and made a great difference.

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • No, accident free and *knock on wood

Votes: 48 50.0%
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
what's up bitches
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So if you guys read my other post about when I got my bike about 2-3 days ago, you've read my mom flipped. Then we had a nice discussion and we both understood each other better. however, she's still against it. My dad was pretty cool with it. But here's the thing. Word spreads fast. I went to church today and there was a lot of relatives there..AND non-relatives.. and they found out that I got a bike.

Boy, was it a longggg day. It was almost like a drug intervention. "Dude, you're gong to die. You need to quit crack right now." People kept joining in this private conversation and talking about how they "saw" or they "experienced" riders getting killed and whatever. My aunt jumped in to tell her story about how last week she was driving and she saw a biker get t-boned by an SUV and she stopped the car and closed her eyes cause she didn't want to see. And another guy comes up (about early 30's) and he tells me how he bought a bike when he was younger and he was in Korea. He wasn't paying attention to a merging road and hit some barrier thing and flew off the bike and ended up getting skin rash on his back. And ANOTHER person comes was talking about how he was also riding in his early days in Korea again, and he said how he was carrying a passenger and they hit a rock, and the passenger flew off the bike. He landed head first into mud, but he said he would've died had it been the concrete.

Now, I dont know if I'm being brain washed or are bikes really that dangerous? I know the risks of bikes and that they are dangerous but there are also preventive and protective measures that one can take. Out of these horror stories, neither of them had been wearing any gear or a helmet. They were in Korea. DUH.

So here's just a small poll. How many of you have been in an accident that could have been prevented? Or how many of you have never been in one. If you have been in one, please explain why and how. Was it preventable? Just like to see some statistics if possible... I'm sure there are lot of pepole that haven't crashed but you never hear from those. If you NEVER crashed, please post, even if you started riding for only 2 days or so.

Thanks, hopefully other new riders will look at this thread and make their decisions on their bikes, their gear and how they ride by reading about others' accidents and mistakes.

-David

·
Back in Black
5,538 Posts
The ONLY way to prevent from crashing, is DON'T RIDE. PERIOD.

That said, I've been riding for 4 years, and roughly 35k miles, and am crash free so far (tho I've had this eerie feeling my time is coming).

This doesn't just apply to bikes either. Hell, I had a friend walk out his front door, trip, and break his arm. Guess what... he still walks out his front door every day.

·
Registered
819 Posts
I was once told that riding a bike is like AIDS... you do it enough, the end is near but there is always protection... Take not it was wise words from a hells angles member choked up on goof balls... :beer

·
Registered
645 Posts
I am still a beginning rider, but its just the :squid that puts out a bad name. yeah, you have to be much more responsible when you ride a bike, and if you are up for the added risk, then you will be ok. Its not like on a car where a fender bender and you will be ok. You have to be watching everything around you to prevent any contact.

But, its just the fact that many people are scared of bikes, then they see someone wheelie past them, and from then on they hate bikes.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I was accident free for 3 years until a few weeks ago. It was not rider error but drivers stupidity. A lady pulled out of an intersection from a stop sign and didn't look. You have to watch everyone and act like they are gonna do the stupidist thing possible because they do. Good thing i was watching her as I was approaching the intersection. She only looked one way then pulled out. She didn't realize i was there until she hit me. Like i said it was a good thing i was paying attention to her stupid actions because it gave me enough reaction time to swerve enough and get my leg out of the way from impact. I walked away with minor bruises because i had gear on and it was at low speed.

9 times out of 10 it is other drivers on the road causing motorcycle accidents. The other times are because the motorcycle rider lost control or wasn't paying attention.

Drive like people are out to kill you....always wear your gear and just try to keep yourself out of situations that could cause an accident.

sorry for the long post...with that said enjoy the time on the bike and stay safe

·
Premium Member
45,772 Posts
In 16 years of riding, I've dropped a bike at a near stand-still twice and had one mild crash at low speed. These all took place in the first year. The two drops were due to inexperience (grabbed the front brake incorrectly and /or at the wrong time), and the crash was mostly due to a right hand turn in a slick intersection on a worn out front tire. All preventable, and my fault.

There are always going to be people who are terrified of bikes who will try to convince you that riding is insane. They all know someone who's been injured or killed on a bike and they are convinced that because it can happen, it will happen, to you, in a few minutes if not sooner. Then again, if you asked these same people if they know anyone who's been injured or killed in a car accident, or from medical malpractice (or an airplane crash or a robbery, etc, etc) if they were honest, they'd have to admit that they do. But do they then pester you not to drive a car/go to the Dr/get on plane? Not usually.

I know people who do things I think are absolutely crazy. I will not ride a 4-wheeler, for example. It just seems too dangerous, and not enough fun to make the risk worthwhile. But I've had people who ride them tell me I'm crazy for riding a street bike. It's all about what's an acceptable risk to you. The fun/risk ratio is different for everyone.

·
King of Oilernation
1,237 Posts
Life in general is dangerous my friend. Yet we live it regardless. Be safe, have fun and the only one you should listen to in church is God. Did he tell you not to ride????

·
Registered
102 Posts
acalliste said:
There are always going to be people who are terrified of bikes who will try to convince you that riding is insane. They all know someone who's been injured or killed on a bike and they are convinced that because it can happen, it will happen, to you, in a few minutes if not sooner. Then again, if you asked these same people if they know anyone who's been injured or killed in a car accident, or from medical malpractice (or an airplane crash or a robbery, etc, etc) if they were honest, they'd have to admit that they do. But do they then pester you not to drive a car/go to the Dr/get on plane? Not usually.
This is my exact thought on the matter. Fear of bikes is mostly a form of ignorance. I know because I used to be the person talking about how dangerous bikes are. Mostly becasue my brother about lost his life in a bike crash when I was a kid, and then my parents kinda filled my mind with all kind of horrible thoughts, and swore that I would never own one while I was living under their roof.

With all this going through my head, I was scared white when I rode my bike for the first time. I was half expecting it to emit a sadistic laugh :devil , and drive itself into a 140 mph collision course into a bus full of screaming school children. Well, took about 5 minutes of riding for that fear to pass, and to crack the biggest poo eatin' grin i've ever had.

There is definitely an increased risk of injury everytime you hop on a bike, but that risk can be minimalized if you are a defensive and informed rider. Oh, and I don't believe the lie that seems to be floating around that everyone will eventuall crash. I just don't believe it, though I once did. I'm sure the poll will show there are many that have ridden for years without wrecking, though I'm sure everyone has had their share of close calls.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Not for nothing but I'll bet the same folks who told you the bike horror stories have seen/ been in or known people killed in horrible car crashes and still ride in cars.

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
I have been on bikes since I was 5. I won't count those as crashes since I was so young. But I have went down on many times on dirt bikes and stuff never a street bike. Stuff does happen and only experance will get you out of it. Then there are the times you are going to go down no matter what you do. There are so many things to figure in the equation that it is impossable to say you will never go down because chances are high that you will. I know a guy that rode for 40 years before his first accident but it still happened with all the experiance he had. Ride smart ride safe and pay attention and don't get in over your head wich is easy to do.

To answere your question will you go down? If you ride long enough yes.

·
Already Sick of Winter
3,273 Posts
i didn't answer you poll because basically its pointless. people are going to believe what they want to regardless of how much education you provide them.

my advice to you?

IGNORE THEM.

everyone has an uncles cousin or a sisters ex boyfriend who had some terrible accident on a motorcycle and they heard some line of bullshit second hand to confirm all their fears and suspicions about motorcycles. these are usually relatives of the people who do ride and they don't wear a helmet cause some buddy of theirs got his neck broke from wearing a helmet. fuck em. they don't want to know, don't want to learn and just want to spew the same bullshit some assclown fed them. ignore them. they are just waiting for something to happen so they can sit all high and mighty and say i told you so. they take no risk in life and are generally taking up space.

ignore them. tell them you are ignoring them too. that way they will shut the fuck up without you having to tell them to shut the fuck up.

learn to ride. be safe. be smart. look out for cars because they are not looking for you.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
I used to ride when I was 21 and my parents were dead set against it.

My grandma was so scared she gave me her car, so I wouldn't ride.

But I rode for a year and racked up 12,000 miles. The only time I went down was when I took a turn too fast in a wet parking lot.

Take the MSF because it saved me a few times and wear the proper gear. I did not back then and regret it.

Now, 13 yrs later I am riding again and I took the MSF again!

This time I have the proper gear... though I still need boots and jacket armor.

And I don't take anything for granted...I do say a small prayer sometimes before riding just in case. Never hurts :)

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
My worst one was back in 02 when a flock of spruce hens flew into me and one lodged between the fork and wheel locking the front wheel long enough for the bike to endo.The bike landed on top of me and we slid about 70' into a blind lefthand curve.

$5,000 in damage to the bike and had I not had on my gear and lid,I would have been burnt toast.

·
KH, Rest In Peace Brother
20,852 Posts
6 years working wrecks as a cop, 2 years prior to that a firefighter. I have worked literally thousands of wrecks....and only 2 have been bikes!! I have one bad spill. Wiped out a Kawi taking a turn/curve at 85+. Shit happens and bite the dog that bit ya. Get back on and ride again. If you lose your edge then slack off riding a bit but don't quit unless you WANT to.

·
SBN Rookie ;-)
686 Posts
4 years riding street, no crashes drops or otherwise. People forget that driving a car is also dangerous. Yeh i know its no where near AS dangerous as riding, but fuck people act as if driving a car is perfectly safe but NO, you will DIE on a motorbike. Its just stupid.

·
what's up bitches
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
WOW. Thanks everyone... i didn't realize that so many people would reply and I'm happy that you guys did. :D thanks for taking the poll.. it allowed me to see something.

Well listening to your stories... it has confirmed what I believed and what i wanted to hear. I have told whoever argues about motorcycle accidents that cars are just the same. They should know someone in a car accident but the motorcycle incident just sticks out like a sore thumb. Hell, last year I knew a woman that was a family friend. She used to give me and my brother candy and things like that when we were like 4. Well, turns out, she got run over by an SUV in the parking lot at nighttime after work. How in the world does that happen?! Well, what i'm believing (as well as what you guys have stated) is that anything can happen. You can die in a car, you can die in your own home. You can get robbed. Motorcycle are more dangerous but it seems to give others a "warped" view on things.

These posts have given me some confidence but also, the words of those that tell me these "horror stories" also made me very cautious. Never will I ride without gear and i'm staying off the freeway and night time till i get better.

oh yeah, 5% of the poll says that someone has been in a serious accident that was not preventable. I wish more people can vote. Almost everyone on the forum... lol it can be our own statistics. :D Well thanks everyone. keep posting..i love to hear them.

·
Registered
145 Posts
People tend to forget one simple thing, and a mindset to go along with it...

LIFE IS FATAL!!!
Enjoy it while you're living.

For every person that tosses up a story of a friend involved in a bike wreck, just throw something right back... (it doesn't have to even be real...) like "I heard of this guy who was driving his car, went out of control, and plowed right into a school bus full of nuns... the bus caught fire and kiled the whole city. the state was without power because of this.

Make it outrageous, unbelievable, and fun....

To help mitigate bike accidents there are a few things you can do:

#1. RIDE LIKE YOU'RE INVISIBLE. Cagers are blind and are trying to kill you.
#2. WEAR GOOD GEAR ALWAYS!!! Helmet, jacket, gloves, boots, pants...
#3. TAKE A SAFETY COURSE LIKE MSF!!! It helps arm you against the cage driving idiots... forewarned is forearmed.

·
2000 VTR1000 Superhawk
3,248 Posts
Dan'sR1 said:
Life in general is dangerous my friend. Yet we live it regardless. Be safe, have fun and the only one you should listen to in church is God. Did he tell you not to ride????
Truer words have never been spoken....."typed".
+1

1 - 20 of 41 Posts