Sport Bikes banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm installing the speedo healer and was wondering where I can splice the red wire. All of the wires are taped or sealed up and I really don't want to start unravelling all of taped wires trying to find which one to splice.
Does anyone have a picture of how they spiced it??

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
109 Posts
fuzzy6 said:
I'm installing the speedo healer and was wondering where I can splice the red wire. All of the wires are taped or sealed up and I really don't want to start unravelling all of taped wires trying to find which one to splice.
Does anyone have a picture of how they spiced it??

Thanks

Little off topic, but currious, did you change the gearing on the bike?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,855 Posts
I don't have a picture but I spliced the brown wire that is the rear brake positive just under the tank. This brown wire is coupled with a yellow wire in a 2-wire brown coupler. I had to cut the tape off the coupler attaching it to some other wires. A rough location of the brown wire is on the right side of the bike running left to right directly under the back of the tank. My Dad helped me find this positive wire running to the rear brake switch before the lever and he tested it with his voltage meter. 12V wire. You can also disconnect the 2-wire coupler and turn the bike on pressing the rear brake lever to see if you found the right wire. Very easy to do (altho I owe alot of credit to my Dad, the mechanic, for helping me out).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No I didn't change any gears, its pretty far off from the factory.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
149 Posts
I ran a splice to the tail light connector ... put the stripped end of my splice in the female side and reconnected the male end ... if/when I want to take it out all will be clean and it makes good contact ...

easy to determine tail wires ... trace and disconnect, try the key and you will have no tail ...

2 cents ....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, I used the wire going to the fuse for the tail lights. Just finished installation and getting ready to calibrate it.
 

·
Sportbike.net junkie
Joined
·
1,242 Posts
I put mine into the wiring harness for the ign. wire. I wouldnt put it as a drain on the the brake wire. If I were to go that route id put it on the license plate light wire.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,855 Posts
fuzzy6 said:
Thanks guys, I used the wire going to the fuse for the tail lights. Just finished installation and getting ready to calibrate it.
Let me know if you get some accurate numbers. I tried to calibrate mine and I was getting numbers between 7% - 13% off. Hard to set the damn thing if you don't know what to set it to. Also, if you do get some accurate numbers, could you post the method you used?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can't get an accurate speed reading either, after calibrating it I think I'm a little fast. before installing it, I rode past a roadside radar detector that displays your speed but it was on a hill so I didn't get very accurate readings from it. I think I'll adjust it down a little and maybe try to talk to a cop that radars my street alot to see if he'll help me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
fuzzy6 said:
I can't get an accurate speed reading either, after calibrating it I think I'm a little fast. before installing it, I rode past a roadside radar detector that displays your speed but it was on a hill so I didn't get very accurate readings from it. I think I'll adjust it down a little and maybe try to talk to a cop that radars my street alot to see if he'll help me.
my speedohealer will be here next week...are u saying that you need to know how much off your speedo is in order to calibrate it?..i thought that it did it automatically?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,855 Posts
sparky8844 said:
my speedohealer will be here next week...are u saying that you need to know how much off your speedo is in order to calibrate it?..i thought that it did it automatically?
You need to program the speedohealer to calculate an accurate speed. So you need to know how much your factory speedo is off. There are a few ways of doing this, some easier than others, and a couple you would need to have access to either radar or GPS.
 

·
Sportbike.net junkie
Joined
·
1,242 Posts
I set mine according to my car speedometer and my dads truck. I adveraged it to 8% off. So the speedohealer on my bike is -08.00%
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
205 Posts
ZeuSeason said:
You need to program the speedohealer to calculate an accurate speed. So you need to know how much your factory speedo is off. There are a few ways of doing this, some easier than others, and a couple you would need to have access to either radar or GPS.
Using my GPS on the bike over a 3 mile stretch it apears my speedo was 5.0% out so that is what I set my speedo healer at and now the two are exact.

Skippy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,855 Posts
I just calculated mine and got 3 different %'s off so I took the average of the 3 leaving me with 7%.

I just took a ride to test the new settings and I got pulled over by a cop telling me I was doing 71 in a 55. I told him it was IMPOSSIBLE for me to be riding that fast, my speedo never even broke 60. I told him I just installed the speedohealer and I was testing the new settings. He said he'd let me off but he wanted me to go up the street, turn around, and pass him riding 70. I go up the street, turn around, and pass him riding 70 on the dot. I turned around again to see how fast his radar said.....he told me 70. HA HA HA! He was fumbling his words a little but he was a pretty cool guy so I said thanks for the radar run. Now I know my speedo is accurate as hell. 7% is my number, hard to say if my tire is half worn to add 1%.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
130 Posts
I was a little puzzled with their reasoning that half worn tire was a better setting than new? It might take me a year to wear it down half way or one good twistie road.
I'm going to try installing it this week for sure and I would have to agree that hooking it up to a wire that only supplys voltage when the engine is running sounds like a better source of voltage than a continuous voltage source. I'll go with 7% and run with my GPS since the PD isn't that helpful around here.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top