Sport Bikes banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
ZRO BLNG
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the purchase of my used 96 ZX6R, I trusted the sellers word that the bike was in excellent condition. His assumption(s) were based on the maintenance that was performed on the bike prior to his selling it to me. FFWD. Before I take possession of the motorcycle, I ask him to get it safety checked. The bike had been in storage for a while and the inspection had expired. Results from the first inspection are the bike needs new rubber, fork seals and new front brakes. The seller knocked off $800 for the cost. Being that it didn't pass inspection the first time, I take to a shop that was recommended to get the paperwork I need for registration and ultimately the inspection sticker.

I pull the bike in and the owner is inputting my data into the computer. I get the paperwork and head back out. As I start up the bike, the owner comes over and revs the throttle a few times. I can see the look on his face that something is wrong. He says, "Bring it in this week so I can check the carbs." So I drop it off.

FFWD. Today I get a call from the shop and the mechanic tells me that the #1 carb is all gunked up and the other 3 carbs aren't much better. It will cost roughly $375 to get things running smooth so I okay the work. The mechanic also states there's no way the other shop did any maintenance on the carbs because if they had, they would have instantly noticed the engine wasn't running on all cylinders.

Now to my dilemma. I could easily bring this up with the previous owner and possibly get him to front the bill for the repair. A part of me thinks he was duped by his repair shop in thinking that the carbs had actually been serviced. The other part of me thinks he misrepresented the bike during the sale.

Any thoughts?

·
Official E-Thug
1,689 Posts
i bought a 95 F3 from a guy off this board.... about a month later had to replace the shift shaft-- $400 about two months after that carb work -- $475... the seller could not be a more honest person, shit just happened to come up, the shift shaft issue was something that developed slowly over about 25K odd miles, sometimes, shit just happens and its not really anyones fault, ya know?

·
Knuckle Dragger
187 Posts
While I understanding your feelings of having been wronged, it sounds like the original owner was upfront with you. Ultimately, you handed him money for this bike. At any time--ANY time-- you could have walked away.

I would call the first owner back up and tell him...not in an effort to squeeze him for $$, but rather to inform him about the shoddy work. Afterall, HE was the one who was ripped off by the shop, not you....even though you are the one who ultimately ended up with the problem bike.

This is where a good relationship with the previous owner pays off. If the owner of the shop wants to make right by the previous owner, perhaps he could persuade the shop to correct the problems on the bike.

But really, the previous owner owes you nothing.

·
ZRO BLNG
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, the previous owner is a cool guy and you're right, I can't fault him for the shoddy workmanship of the shop he brought the bike too.

In all honesty, I am just glad to have the bike fixed and running great.

·
Old school fool
5,720 Posts
I gotta agree with Airmotive, I don't think the guy owes you anything. The bike sat for a long time and it would be natural for the carbs to act up (if they had gas in them the whole time) That's one of the things you have to deal with when you buy a used bike that has sat around for a while.

He already cut $800 off the price to help you out, now to go back for more - I dunno. If I was the seller, I'd say I already shaved enough off the price and the deal is done. Sorry if that's not what you wanted to hear.

·
Registered
488 Posts
tmkreutzer said:
I gotta agree with Airmotive, I don't think the guy owes you anything. The bike sat for a long time and it would be natural for the carbs to act up (if they had gas in them the whole time) That's one of the things you have to deal with when you buy a used bike that has sat around for a while.

He already cut $800 off the price to help you out, now to go back for more - I dunno. If I was the seller, I'd say I already shaved enough off the price and the deal is done. Sorry if that's not what you wanted to hear.
gotta agree with the man..

·
Official SBN Party Pooper
20,262 Posts
What shop did you take it to?

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
a bike (or any vehicle) that has been in storage and not running for more than a month can have many problems arise, particularly fuel and brake related. Buyer aware.

FWIW - I bought a '92 Suzuki Kat 1100 from a guy and he too had paid a "mechanic" over $300 to clean the carbs and when I got it it was so gunked up I had to take them apart and clean them myself. No way he did anything other than spray carb cleaner inside the throttle bodies.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts