Sport Bikes banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I'm new to the site, but enjoy reading the threads. I'm in a frustrating situation, and hoping somone could help. At most, I can't vent.

I recently bought a bike, a Suzuki GSXR 600, from the Philadelphia Parking Authority (who has idiots for employees, but that's another story) and I understood that the title was not guarenteed, so I was prepared when they gave me a junk/reconstructive title. What I was not ready for was the amount of time (6-7 weeks) that I will have to wait once they send me the package to get it out of that title, i guess. However, after telling this same story to the mechanic, they were also baffled by why they gave the bike this title because they said the bike is in good condition. They have it fixed, and I'll be able to ride it as soon as friday.

Has anyone dealt with a similar situation? Could I contact Penndot and try to get them to change the title? Would anyone recommend riding without a plate (I've been itching to really ride this bike)?

any advice would be helpful.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I wouldn't recomend riding without a plate. Cops always give sportbikes a second look trying to find a reason to pull us over. They'll spot you a mile away. I'm assuming you don't have any experience so running is definately out of the question for you.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Don't ride without a plate. If you wreck (god forbid), you could be screwed. Besides, how did you get insurance without the registration?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Definitely wouldn't ride without the plate. As far as the title goes, try going to an auto tag store and see what they say. Plus they usually have a messenger service that goes to Harrisburg everyday, and should speed up the process for you.

On a side note, where did you get the bike from, a police auction? Are they open to the public? Did you get a good deal on your gixxer?

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
Take the bike and get it inspected and when they say every thing is good you can have them file for a reconstruted title. Or register it in Ohio and file for a lost title since they don't have inspections. They will give you a new title and it's as good as new.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it was an alright deal, but i could tell it's been used hard. lots of road rash. i paid about 2800, about 3000 after title and taxes, and another 600 for service. It's an alright deal for an 01 gsxr 600.

check out www.ppa-auctions.com if you are in the philadelphia region. they WILL NOT let you ride it off the lot, they do not provide keys. I don't think i would recommend the auction after what I've been through with the titling process. the state auctions are better bet.

p.s. does anyone know of a good site to get helmet locks and rear turn signals for an 01 gsxr 600?

·
Registered
86 Posts
p.s. does anyone know of a good site to get helmet locks and rear turn signals for an 01 gsxr 600?
You should be able to find what you need on Ebay. Or try google and do a search for gixxer, and you'll find a forum specific to your bike.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts