Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took some time off from riding while overseas the last few years, but getting back into the swing of things.

I need a tire that will see 90% track use. These days, I don't have much desire to ride a sportbike on the street and aside from a few short rides around town and maybe a few blasts up the mountain here and there, I will be doing very little street riding...all of which would be fairly non-aggressive riding. In all honesty, I would be okay with simply a 100% dedicated track tire.

On the track, I ride about mid/upper mid pack in intermediate.

So, given my skill level and desired use, which tires are some of the go-to's these days? A good street tire? Think I should just skip all that and go to a DOT?

·
Registered
6,884 Posts
Q2s are a favorite here in Texas.

·
Deutsche Rüstungsteilung
14,312 Posts
Get a real track tire. Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa SC. One step down from the Diablo Superbike slick.

Reactions: ZorroX

·
CCS# 616
915 Posts
If you're mid-pack intermediate you dont need or even want a track only tire. You wont be pushing it into it's optimum heat range. You'd be better off on street/track tires like the S20.
I don't know about your local track days, but mid-pack intermediate in Florida is hauling some ass.

·
Registered
21,263 Posts
If you aren't too concerned about rain, get the Pirelli Trackday Slicks. You can't ride them on the road though.

Otherwise, something like the Pirelli DRC's. I have those now. Grip more than the Q2's do.

·
Pit Bike Legend
3,339 Posts
I don't know about your local track days, but mid-pack intermediate in Florida is hauling some ass.
Around here intermediate is for fast street/canyon riders. Advanced is for guys not quite fast enough for novice racing....up to full on expert racers. I'm usually at the very bottom of that advanced group, and I have absolutely no problem with S20's. I'll probably try out a set of 003's when I wear out this current set, but there's no reason someone in the middle group would NEED anything more than what I'm running right now.

Also, hauling ass is relative. I have no clue what your skill level is, but I know on my first track day the guys in intermediate seemed really fast, now not so much. Now I run in the advanced group because I'd rather be getting passed by REALLY fast guys than being annoyed by guys that aren't really fast, but are also difficult to get around in intermediate.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the replies. Gives me a few ideas to toss around.

Here, advanced group is where the novice/club racers are as well as the 'faster' street riders who don't race. Virtually everyone runs a DOT or full slick in that group.

Intermediate consists of quick to somewhat fast street riders who don't really race..or might be just getting into racing. I've noticed a mixture of tires in this group.

As far as myself, I ride hard enough to use every inch of my tire - up to the very edge (knee down). On a confident day, I'll be at the front of the group. I haven't ridden in advanced, but I'd probably be able to stay ahead of the rear of the pack.

I don't need a tire for rain or street use. I agree with the above assertion that I don't 'need' a DOT or Slick. To be honest, I just want something above a 'regular' sport tire - if for anything just mental confidence in pushing harder than I already do. With that said, I'll likely end up going with something like the Dunlop Q3 (or equiv) for my 1st season back on the track, then reevaluate.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I just did my first track day a few weeks ago. Started out in C group because that seemed logical. Ended up running a B group pace and had to fight with traffic all day. Still not bad because C group had valuable classroom time.

The tires I used which I'm still using now is an S20 F and a BT023 rear. Not that I'm recommending that, just sharing. The BT023 has 3000 miles on it.

I'll probably do at least one more track day on this same set of tires in addition to riding canyons every weekend.

·
CCS# 616
915 Posts
Around here intermediate is for fast street/canyon riders. Advanced is for guys not quite fast enough for novice racing....up to full on expert racers. I'm usually at the very bottom of that advanced group, and I have absolutely no problem with S20's. I'll probably try out a set of 003's when I wear out this current set, but there's no reason someone in the middle group would NEED anything more than what I'm running right now.

Also, hauling ass is relative. I have no clue what your skill level is, but I know on my first track day the guys in intermediate seemed really fast, now not so much. Now I run in the advanced group because I'd rather be getting passed by REALLY fast guys than being annoyed by guys that aren't really fast, but are also difficult to get around in intermediate.
I'm just saying that I group riders down here are definitely getting their tires up to temperature. That really doesn't take too much pushing.

·
Registered
272 Posts
No love for the Michelin Power Supersports? They were designed as a track day tire that is DOT legal. They are not just a typical hypersport street tire.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Will you be using tire warmers?

If not, then go with a tire that heats up quickly. Any street/track tire will work without tire warmers. Also the Pirelli Superbike Pro trackday tires are designed to work fine without warmers. A full slick or even a dot race tire will usually require warmers.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
The speed of the intermediate groups from org to org can vary greatly.

Does the org have a messageboard? Those guys would know more about what works with the tracks you're going to and the pace of the intermediate group.

Personally, if I thought I was in the middle of a street and a race DOT, I'd use any of the fine track day tires that I'm sure are out there. I'd assume that there's something like the old DC3's that Pirelli used to sell.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts