Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm toying with the idea of selling my current ride... would like something a little cheaper. I don't really know where to begin... I wouldn't mind a car/suv/truck. But something with decent gas mileage so probably more towards a car... I was looking at used BMW's, maybe Audi? Doesn't have to be a luxury car... just looking for some suggestions and real-world experiences, thanks!

·
Registered
474 Posts
I know around here they are selling F150s for $10,000 off MSRP and Explorers for $8,000 off, check with your local dealer.

I bought my 03 F150 last year with this deal, MSRP was $27,500 and I got it for $17,500 (F150 XLT Super Cab).

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
If you want German and like performance (and don't mind working on one a bit), you can get a fairly nice late model Porsche 944 for that kind of dough. I've got an 89 944S2 that I bought for 12k and put in another 3k and it's pretty pimpin' now. However, you absolutely must maintain it well. Unless you like to rebuild engines just for fun. I get 19-24 mpg.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I'd rather not put any work/money into it... i wanted to save money as I'd like to buy a house sometime this life :) (and a new bike... :))

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
get a sunfire,cavaler,neon somthing of that nature they are cheap last forever and get great gas millage

·
Registered
13,267 Posts
if your looking to save money start thinking Toyota, Nissan and not German. Those cars from Germany are nice but definatly arent going to save ya any money. The maintance alone will kill your savings off, not mentioning the cost of parts.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I drive a 01 Ford Focus Hatchback and I am very pleased with it. Well, only 17k in 3 years and only had 1 recall and 1 problem-emissions sensor broke and fixed under warranty.

Other than that zero troubles whatsoever.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
Blade-Runner said:
If you own a bike, you've got to have a truck.
lol, i've towed w/ the miata before. and now it's the camry's turn.......i'd like a truck, i don't NEED a truck

save $ and euro cars are on polar opposites

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I was thinking 'Yota or something of the like, reliable. I DO want a truck, and will definatly have one in the future... but right now it's not the best thing for me. I can afford it, but rather put my money elsewhere, like a new house. Maybe a camry or something? Doesn't have to be new btw... thanks everyone!

·
Valiant Poultry
15,151 Posts
Don't laugh at me.

I drive a 2002 Kia Rio. It's the cheapest car on the planet, yet it's actually made fairly well. It's got good paint, a good ride, and it runs well. I've had no problems with it, and only one recall. It needs to be taken to the shop though, because every now and again it idles funny. It might just be me, but it seems like it.

Either way, I got one with AC and a CD player for under $11 grand brand new. It gets about 30-35 mpg, and I drive it like it's stolen because I'm always running late.

It has a 10 year power train warranty, so you don't have to worry about that for a LONG time. It's got a 5 year 60,000 mile bumper to bumper.

It's a great little car for the money. I love it. When I get it paid off, I'll still have 5 years worth of warranty left. I haven't decided if I'm gonna buy a little bit nicer Kia, or keep the Rio another 5 years and get a killer bike...

Either way, it's worth maybe taking a look at. Not the most stylish, but it's comfortable, affordable, low maintenance, and gets good gas mileage.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Hell for that price I will sell you my Corvette !!!

·
Registered
522 Posts
Get a used 1993 Corolla (like mine with low mileage) for $2900 and spend the rest on a new bike :D :D

Seriously, I would probably buy a truck, it sucks to have a bike and a car because he can't haul the bike with the car easily. Lets face it whne your bike puts out more horsepower than your car, it's not gonna owrk out too well.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Never buy an American car new, those GMs, Ford and especially Chrysler have horrific resale values.

If you do buy it hold on to it for life. I plan to with my 01 Focus.

·
Registered
519 Posts
i had a 2003 corolla (totalled it into a deer with 18k on it) i beat the crap out of it non stop...got 35mpg and never had one issue, very very well built car rode smooth and very comfy

·
Registered
584 Posts
Kawa-ZX9 said:
Never buy an American car new, those GMs, Ford and especially Chrysler have horrific resale values...
exactly :flipa

By speaking of BMW you were on the right track. Get a used e36. You should be able to pick up a low mile 97-98 3 series for that money. Try to buy it from BMW enthusiast (if they know what BMWCCA is, most likely that person IS an enthusiast). Good places to look for good, reliable, taken care of BMWs are:

www.bimmerforums.com ; www.dtmpower.net ; www.m3forum.net ; www.bmwcca.com (Classifieds)

E36 (3 series '92-'99) are very reliable cars, where it's pretty easy to do regular maintenance by yourself (check out my DIY Library: www.geocities.com/e36rulz/DIY.html )

Once you go BMW, you stay BMW. Can't wait till I upgrade mine :nerd

·
Pre-register sex offender
1,091 Posts
you dont need a big gas guzzling truck to pull a bike....

i figure if i can push a bike around for a little while. a car should be able to do it on a slight occasion....

how often do you drive your bikes around in the back of your truck? i like to ride mine ... hahaahahha

·
Pre-register sex offender
1,091 Posts
if you do get a truck, i would suggest a dakota....

as for cars, i would say a focus, protege5, newer stratus....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts