Sport Bikes banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to take my bike in for a maintenance check at a good shop, can you guys recommend me a place that you trust?

Also, my friend said that I shouldn't do my own oil change, or changing brakes, etc, or even try delving into maintaining it myself because he said motorcycles are not cars, is this true?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Also, my friend said that I shouldn't do my own oil change, or changing brakes, etc, or even try delving into maintaining it myself because he said motorcycles are not cars, is this true?

Thanks for the help!

Yes, your friend is right that motorcycles are not cars. The conclusions he draws as a result of this keenly perceptive observation are questionable, though.

I don't consider myself a skilled or experienced mechanic by any stretch, but I bleed my brake lines, change the pads, flush coolant, change oil, all those basics, without much trouble.

For some things a bike is easier, for example you don't need to pull the wheels off to get at the brakes.

In my experience the tough jobs are generally when things are packed in so tight on a bike that there's limited clearance. Unless you have smaller hands or a better equipped toolchest than I do, some places are very hard to reach. Changing out the CCT, which is a rite of passage for F4i owners, is an example of this. My knuckles still haven't forgiven me.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Where in nj are you from? You will find washington cycle works in washington nj is the best suspension place in the state along with being able to handle any mechanical issues you need. They are nice guys who are honest and dont charge an arm and a leg. Very thorough in how they work.

And all those things you mentioned are super easy to do on your own. Most things on a bike are easier then a car as its easy to access most of the common maintenance parts.

Jamie i helped change out a cct on a f4i before, my god was that a pain in the ass. Still dont know how we managed to get in there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have an 02 Yamaha R6.

I'm gonna dig up my tools today and see if I can do the oil change!

I live in the Franklin Lakes area.

Thanks for your help guys!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts