Sport Bikes banner

Recommend a balaclava to me.

4K views 31 replies 22 participants last post by  Moon 
#1 ·
So as you may guess I'm in the market for a balaclava, my recent 35 degree 100 mile ride was not very pleasant and I really need something to protect my face and neck from the wind.

I've been looking all over bikebandit but don't really know what I should get. Also would neoprene be superior?

#2 ·
My Gator mask is great for keeping the wind off my neck. It's real handy in a variety of temps. Plus it fits under my helmet quite well. http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/riders-gear/265547-cold-weather-face-mask-review.html

I also have this Schampa brand balaclava. It's the Pharoah Delux. It's great for the really cold rides. It's a little bulky under my helmet, but not terrible. It's nice and long in the front and back which keeps almost all the wind off my neck. It does push down on my nose a bit more than the Gator Mask which is probably the only annoying thing about this one. Schampa :: Cold Weather Technical Wear

#3 ·
I use an Alpinestars winter touring balaclava. It has completely solved my problem. It has a thicker fleece lining around the neck area, but is thin (but surprisingly warm) everywhere else. It has small holes for the nose and mouth for breathing.

#6 ·
I went to wal-mart and bought a neck gaiter that is so bulky I cannot get it on with my helmet because the helmet pulls it down, that's why I want a balaclava because it is a full mask that will stay in place more.

#7 ·
Justin I'm really diggin the schampa gear, I might have to go with something from them, when you were rocking it did you put your jacket over the section that covers your neck, chest, and back?

#19 ·
#20 ·
Check out Buffwear - Multifunctional Headwear the Buff.

In a 'favorite piece of gear' thread on the adventure riders forum, it comes up again and again. I plan on getting one next time I head out to REI.

The have a standard, and a polar version - have a click on some of the videos on the website on the different ways you can use it. It is in essence a tube of microfiber.

#22 ·
I use the Frank Thomas Antifreeze balaclava. I am very happy with it. I got it at cycle gear, but now I can't find it on their site.

Balaclava @ Frank Thomas

#28 ·
ahhh...

the Underarmor Cold Gear hood is okay, but don't count on any neck proctection if you want to cover your mouth and nose at the same time...

...that sonofa rides up ever chance you get. Now if you throw on your 3rd grade turtle next you might be okay wearing it....

#32 ·
ahhh...
the Underarmor Cold Gear hood is okay, but don't count on any neck proctection if you want to cover your mouth and nose at the same time...
My vunderful better half gave me some underarmor for Christmas. Great stuff and fits like a 2nd skin, quite warm just it time for us to have a warm spell....

#29 · (Edited)
Ok as a Canadian I tend to ride in all kinds of weather due to the fact that growing up; my dads motorcycle was my only mode of transportation.
I have used all kinds of crap to keep me warm both while riding and while sitting out in the middle of some God forsaken country on guard duty freezing my butt off.

This leather bandanna is cheap and works like a charm, the leather keeps the wind out, and the fuzzy stuff that goes against your skin keeps you warm. I wear a Polartec hat on my head under my helmet (or alone if I was on guard duty and it was at night) and I was good to go. I am a cold weather wimp and have spent way to much time out in the element both in my job and riding..this worked for me. I have a trunk full of balaclava's that I have bought or were issued to me and that is where they stay. You can find them on ebay for 12.00.

Attachments

#31 ·
man that thing looks JUST like my navy neckerchief.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.