Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Lingerie Bandit
5,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as you may guess I'm in the market for a balaclava, my recent 35 degree 100 mile ride was not very pleasant and I really need something to protect my face and neck from the wind.

I've been looking all over bikebandit but don't really know what I should get. Also would neoprene be superior?

·
Premium Member
9,239 Posts
My Gator mask is great for keeping the wind off my neck. It's real handy in a variety of temps. Plus it fits under my helmet quite well. http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/riders-gear/265547-cold-weather-face-mask-review.html

I also have this Schampa brand balaclava. It's the Pharoah Delux. It's great for the really cold rides. It's a little bulky under my helmet, but not terrible. It's nice and long in the front and back which keeps almost all the wind off my neck. It does push down on my nose a bit more than the Gator Mask which is probably the only annoying thing about this one. Schampa :: Cold Weather Technical Wear

·
Registered
808 Posts
I use an Alpinestars winter touring balaclava. It has completely solved my problem. It has a thicker fleece lining around the neck area, but is thin (but surprisingly warm) everywhere else. It has small holes for the nose and mouth for breathing.

·
Shut the **** up and ride
5,031 Posts
I just went to the local department store and got a winter sport BAC-LAVA!

Its bulky (thick) so I can only wear it under one of my helmets that fits a little looser than the other, but its warm as hell.

·
Lingerie Bandit
5,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just went to the local department store and got a winter sport BAC-LAVA!

Its bulky (thick) so I can only wear it under one of my helmets that fits a little looser than the other, but its warm as hell.
I went to wal-mart and bought a neck gaiter that is so bulky I cannot get it on with my helmet because the helmet pulls it down, that's why I want a balaclava because it is a full mask that will stay in place more.

·
Lingerie Bandit
5,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Justin I'm really diggin the schampa gear, I might have to go with something from them, when you were rocking it did you put your jacket over the section that covers your neck, chest, and back?

·
Lingerie Bandit
5,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Give me money.

EDIT: Now

·
5,455 Posts
i bought one at Dick's Sporting Goods that works pretty well. i forget the brand, but its thin on top and thick fleece around the neck, so its good for under helmets

·
Premium Member
9,239 Posts
Justin I'm really diggin the schampa gear, I might have to go with something from them, when you were rocking it did you put your jacket over the section that covers your neck, chest, and back?
Yeah. I just tucked the back of the balaclava under the collar of my jacket and the front of the balaclava get's covered up when you zip the jacket up.

·
Lingerie Bandit
5,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
569 Posts
FANNYBANDIT! lol
Fanny Bandit-
A word often used to describe a straight guy who acts exceptionally gay or feminine. Also a gay guy who is exceptionally open about their orientation and hits on every man he sees.
Wow, that new kid jim is a fanny bandit.

:eek:nfloor WOW.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
My Gator mask is great for keeping the wind off my neck. It's real handy in a variety of temps. Plus it fits under my helmet quite well. http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/riders-gear/265547-cold-weather-face-mask-review.html

I also have this Schampa brand balaclava. It's the Pharoah Delux. It's great for the really cold rides. It's a little bulky under my helmet, but not terrible. It's nice and long in the front and back which keeps almost all the wind off my neck. It does push down on my nose a bit more than the Gator Mask which is probably the only annoying thing about this one. Schampa :: Cold Weather Technical Wear
I have a Pharoah style, works most excellently. I tuck it in under my jacket and get no wind on my neck.

·
old member
13,079 Posts

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
Check out Buffwear - Multifunctional Headwear the Buff.

In a 'favorite piece of gear' thread on the adventure riders forum, it comes up again and again. I plan on getting one next time I head out to REI.

The have a standard, and a polar version - have a click on some of the videos on the website on the different ways you can use it. It is in essence a tube of microfiber.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts