Sport Bikes banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think my stator on my 03 636 is going out. Just replaced the battery early so this week i go out and try to crank my bike up and it didn't start. So I decided to jump the piece. Then get it going then an hour later I'm out with a couple of people, my bike shuts off. They helped me push start it like 5 times that night. Had to turn my idle up to make it home.

The problem is the relay makes this multiple rapid clicking noise while struggling to start up so I'm assuming its the stator. I wanted to know if it's possible to recharge the stator with a jumper cable to the battery and let it idle or something. Checked the voltage with a volt meter and it reads 10.6 V before start up. I rather not dent my wallet replacing a new stator.
Other inputs would be greatly appreciated. thanks

mike

·
Kawpuke Extraordinare!
1,148 Posts
Mike it sounds like you have a charging system problem, either the stator or the voltage regulator. There is no way to "Recharge" a stator. Its basically a 3 sets of windings that fit inside a magnet that is spun by the crankshaft. That generates AC voltage that goes to you voltage regulator.

That clicking noise your hearing is the starter solenoid clicking because of low voltage and dead battery.

First you need to diagnose the charging system to see if its charging or not.

Grab your volt meter and set it to AC volts. Follow the wiring back from the stator to the voltage regulator. The regulator will be a small rectangular box with fins on it about the size of a pack of ciggs. It will probably be attached to the subframe at the rear of the bike on the left side of the bike. Unplug the stator. The connector should be round and have 3 wires inside it. You will want to measure the AC voltage between each pair of wires. Lets call them A B and C. Start the bike and rev it about 5000 rpm and measure the voltage between each pair. A-B B-C and A-C. You should have at least 70 volts AC between each pair. Anything much less or 0 volts and the stator is bad.

You can also do a basic check of the charging system by checking the battery voltage at idle and at 5000 rpm. It should show a voltage increase at 5000 revs compared to idle, and the dash lights and headlights should brighten up as you rev it..

·
Registered
18,682 Posts
The stator makes electricity. The battery stores it. In between there is a regulator to bleed off undneeded current generated by the stator. These three parts are the "charging system."

The clicking you hear is the starter selonoid. Assuming your starter is OK, you have a charging problem. In your case it is either the stator (which seldom goes bad anymore) or the regulator/rectifier (which is the part that most commonly fails.) Get your service manual and a voltmeter and you can know which it is.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Yeah, definately a charging system problem. I had pretty much those exact symptoms when my regulator was destroyed. A wire had been pinched against the frame and grounded, which ended up frying the regulator. As a result, none of the electricity generated by the stator was making it past the regulator back into the battery. I could keep jumping my bike off, but eventually it didn't even have enough juice to fire the spark plugs and it just shut off. It's one or the other, and you need to replace whatever is broken.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts