Sport Bikes banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK just met a guy around here selling his ex500. Its a 98 with like 26k miles. It has alot of rash on the fairings, the horn doesnt work, and something is messed up with the ignition key. He said other than that he's done the regular maintenance and it runs like a champ. He wants 1.8-2k. Seems a bit steep to me but I may be wrong. I have 2.2k saved but that would barely leave shit for gear. Anyways lemme know

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
26K miles on a 98 is a lot of miles for a bike. My buddy paid 1800 for a 1991 limited Kawi zx-6d that had be bored, stroked, jetted v&h exhaust with 22K miles on it. go to www.nadaguides.com and look up the value.

actually i did for you, high value is 2300 "if it has no rash" low value is 1700 "lots of blemishes and or mechanical problems." offer him 1500 and see if he bites. Use Cash and make it in 20's or 50's the more green a person sees the easier it is to persuade them. Cash makes people crazy when they see it. It's a bargaining technique that has saved me lots of money on deals before :D

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
Why is 26k miles alot for a 98? That's 4,000 miles a year.....I've personally seen three sport bikes with over 100k on the clock. That EX500 will run forever as long as it's taken care of.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Bring $1500 cash.

I'd lowball him at $1200, and settle somewhere between $1200 and $1500, fix a price between there, and tell him you'll pay cash.. pretty sure he'll go for it.

There's no way I'd EVER pay $2000 for an EX in that condition.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Messed up ignition? Think STOLEN.

BTW, that price sucks for the bike in that condition.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It defintly isn't stolen because I not only kinda know the dude who has it, but also know the gal who sold it to him. But when I asked him he said, "i dont wanna get ride of it for less than 1,800" SO I dunno

·
Registered
549 Posts
arma said:
"i dont wanna get ride of it for less than 1,800"
Then he must not want to get rid of it, 'cuz it's not worth $1800. You can do better.

·
Registered
501 Posts
pay no more than 1,500 for it, unless you like throwing you money away. and that is a high value for that wrecked bike.

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
I wouldn't do it unless he comes down on the price

·
Registered
178 Posts
I would wait and find another bike. If this was my first bike I would want something reliable that I could trust. Not a trashed 98.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts