Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
KH, Rest In Peace Brother
Joined
·
20,852 Posts
Oh shit!! Hope the rider was ok. I am willing to bet the driver of the cage was paying attn. to the cop car and not his driving!!
 

·
You got that right.
Joined
·
10,228 Posts
OFFICER737 said:
Oh shit!! Hope the rider was ok. I am willing to bet the driver of the cage was paying attn. to the cop car and not his driving!!
That's exactly what I was thinking! Man, you're too quick for me. I would say "words right out of my mouth" but that doesn't seem too applicable for an internet forum.

Back to point, here's my $0.02 on gear/netural at intersection.
1. I remain in first gear at an intersection stop until the first cage behind me comes to a stop.
2. Check mirrors very often, maybe spending half your time looking at the lights and your rear view mirrors.
3. Cage approaching? Modulate rear light by squeezing and releasing brake lever.
4. Once cage comes to a stop, pull in clutch, tap into N, slowly releasing clutch lever to check for false positive on neutral green light.

Best of both worlds.
 

·
KH, Rest In Peace Brother
Joined
·
20,852 Posts
mikem317 said:
That's exactly what I was thinking! Man, you're too quick for me. I would say "words right out of my mouth" but that doesn't seem too applicable for an internet forum.

Back to point, here's my $0.02 on gear/netural at intersection.
1. I remain in first gear at an intersection stop until the first cage behind me comes to a stop.
2. Check mirrors very often, maybe spending half your time looking at the lights and your rear view mirrors.
3. Cage approaching? Modulate rear light by squeezing and releasing brake lever.
4. Once cage comes to a stop, pull in clutch, tap into N, slowly releasing clutch lever to check for false positive on neutral green light.

Best of both worlds.

ahahaha.... talk about taking the words out of someone's mouth!! Was thinking the same thing about what to do at the lights. :cheers
 

·
You got that right.
Joined
·
10,228 Posts
sexNstillettos said:
I hope that rider is okay too! Man, that must have left a mark. I hope he sues the shit out of that truck driver. Maybe when he can't find an insurance company to insure him and he's paying fines and points and financing a lawsuit settlement, he'll be more attentive to all things driving.
 

·
You got that right.
Joined
·
10,228 Posts
OFFICER737 said:
ahahaha.... talk about taking the words out of someone's mouth!! Was thinking the same thing about what to do at the lights. :cheers
Where the cage comes to a stop is the key element there. Once I notice a cage behind me I'm ready for anything. Usually you can pick up on the fact that they're stopping. But I'll continue to modulate the rear light to get their attention. MSF style.
 

·
DT is happy it snowed
Joined
·
1,582 Posts
The exact same thing happened to my good friend on an R6 last year. He was sitting at a red light at night and a taxi smashed into him going about 30mph. The bike was thrown forward and he went forward, up, and rotated backwards, landing on his head. The helmet he had on most likely saved his life. Note the yellow paint on the license plate from the cab in the last picture.
 

Attachments

·
KH, Rest In Peace Brother
Joined
·
20,852 Posts
mikem317 said:
Where the cage comes to a stop is the key element there. Once I notice a cage behind me I'm ready for anything. Usually you can pick up on the fact that they're stopping. But I'll continue to modulate the rear light to get their attention. MSF style.


Same here. I was actually thinking of adding a 2nd brake light to the rear that flashes on it's own. Maybe it will get the cager's attn.
 

·
You got that right.
Joined
·
10,228 Posts
OFFICER737 said:
Same here. I was actually thinking of adding a 2nd brake light to the rear that flashes on it's own. Maybe it will get the cager's attn.
Not sure if you're familar w/ them, but there are rear taillight modulators that you can install, basically the same thing as a headlight modulator except for the rear. Creates a little "bounce" to the light when the machine's ignition is on. Photo sensor detects if its dark out and then cancels the modulation (for safety and legal reasons I believe).
 

·
You got that right.
Joined
·
10,228 Posts
Rogue6 said:
The exact same thing happened to my good friend on an R6 last year. He was sitting at a red light at night and a taxi smashed into him going about 30mph. The bike was thrown forward and he went forward, up, and rotated backwards, landing on his head. The helmet he had on most likely saved his life. Note the yellow paint on the license plate from the cab in the last picture.
Ouch. Nice custom high-mount carbon fiber can a la taxi cab.
 

·
DT is happy it snowed
Joined
·
1,582 Posts
Yea, that was interesting. The cab acutally bent the can off the mid pipe like a tuna can.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
706 Posts
Here's one that happened over in my neck of the woods, last summer. The guy ended up on top of the car two cars up, I heard. He was in the hospital for a couple weeks, iirc. Was posted here, as a matter of fact.

ALWAYS watch your mirrors.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
832 Posts
Crazy stuff, hope people start looking better for bikes it seems like there are alot more out these days
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
910 Posts
snoflk said:
Crazy stuff, hope people start looking better for bikes it seems like there are alot more out these days
Don't count on it, snoflk. We very often don't visibly register to motorists. Ride in a way that always accomodates for this fact. Do not leave you safety up to a potentially false assumption that other motorists have seen you. Always assume you are invisible. This is nothing new. Stay safe.
 

·
King of Oilernation
Joined
·
1,237 Posts
Scary pics. We all to be ever aware that motorists just don't pay enough attention to motorcycles. I hope everyone has recovered from there accidents. Leaving it in first at least has us ready, but I agree that most of these accidents would have happened anyway.
 

·
King of Oilernation
Joined
·
1,237 Posts
By the way, I hope each and everyone of those drivers was punished to the full extent of the law!!!
 

·
DT is happy it snowed
Joined
·
1,582 Posts
I know in this case, my friend ended up with about 10-15k after lawyer fees, so that was enough to pick up a new gsxr750 (which a truck just backed into with him on it by the way...). No clue what happened to the driver. Most likely nothing to be honest.
 

·
how bout dem deadskins
Joined
·
3,235 Posts
damn i had heard to do that but i still put it in nuetrual.. makes me want to re-consider
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top