Sport Bikes banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out riding my EX500 today and while I in a turn my bike started a wobble. I'm still a new rider so i'm not completely sure what was happening. I was pushing the bike pretty hard and it felt what I think it might feel like when the rear tire moves to the left and right. I'm not sure if theres a name for it or not, I just know I see it happen on T.V. during the SS races. When they're in corners and the bike tire starts sliding around. What is this called and is that what I was experiencing today? Any ideas? It was kind of scary but I stayed calm and just continued to ride my line.

Help a newb out, what was happening today? Was I doing something wrong or does that just happen when you're pushing your bike hard?

Thanks,
Skeet.

·
Registered
981 Posts
were u goin in a straight line or in a turn?

ive had a few instances where im going about 20mph, and the whole bike starts shaking really bad like something is outta whack. but as soon as i blip the throttle, its fine.

if ur in the turn and the rear end is just sliding out, thats normal. happens to me all the time when im in mid-turn...scares the shit outta me every time tho. lol

·
Registered
456 Posts
i would check out yoru suspension before riding again. one check to see if tire is in good shape, then check air pressure. the tire should NEVER KICK OUT in a turn. your rear suspension may need adjusted properly to your weight and riding style. you could have lose components on the bike.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Quik said:
i would check out yoru suspension before riding again. one check to see if tire is in good shape, then check air pressure. the tire should NEVER KICK OUT in a turn. your rear suspension may need adjusted properly to your weight and riding style. you could have lose components on the bike.
could it also be the tires/lean angle? cuz the suspension doesnt feel soft. how would u check the susp.?

·
Registered
456 Posts
BuRn__ said:
could it also be the tires/lean angle? cuz the suspension doesnt feel soft. how would u check the susp.?
a newbie isnt going to run out of tire. i got my girls 250 deep into corners and still had plenty of tire. i was leaning off a good bit to.

read your manual i dont know if you can adjust your bike

·
Registered
32 Posts
Back or front tire? Mine only "wobbles" if the street isn't smooth. However, it can also upset a bit if you're not turning properly (on gas smoothly). If it kicked out, it slipped on something in the turn. On an EX500, at speed, I doubt the ability to unintensionally "back-in" the rear tire. It just doesn't have the power to torque spin the wheel (stock that is).

As for suspension, the EX500's rear suspension is buried in front of the swingarm, but there is an adjuster nut on there (large one, near top of setup). The fronts aren't easily modified on my EX500 ('A' model, pre '94) but I think the newer ones are adjustable via a bolt.

·
Registered
456 Posts
ABearden said:
Back or front tire? Mine only "wobbles" if the street isn't smooth. However, it can also upset a bit if you're not turning properly (on gas smoothly). If it kicked out, it slipped on something in the turn. On an EX500, at speed, I doubt the ability to unintensionally "back-in" the rear tire. It just doesn't have the power to torque spin the wheel (stock that is).

As for suspension, the EX500's rear suspension is buried in front of the swingarm, but there is an adjuster nut on there (large one, near top of setup). The fronts aren't easily modified on my EX500 ('A' model, pre '94) but I think the newer ones are adjustable via a bolt.
good helping out...yea im not to familar with that type of bike. and i agree with the whole not spining abiltiy.

you may be entering a turn fully wrong. somethings in the MSF are good and some arent. the class i took had cruiser type instructors and a few of thier techniques arent aimed towards sportbikes. get ahold ofa few different riders adn have the follow you to see if your doign ot properly

·
Registered
173 Posts
if it doesnt happen constantly it sounds like you just caught a piece of bad road. maybe road wasnt even or (what gets me some times) tar snakes(tar that they use to patch cracks). my rear slides a little some times when riding on the track and pushing it hard, its almost like "drifting" for bikes. but i dont think you were pulling enough g's for that to happen. watch your throttle control during turns it should be smooth.

·
Gordon
124 Posts
dancin

If your revs are too high or on the back brake while in a turn, the back tire
will skip=not good. Pull in the clutch or better yet upshift and stay off the
back brake into the turn........ :(

·
Registered
501 Posts
it could have either been the road conditions (tar snakes) or your suspension is not set up properly. might need more damping on the rear.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I am pretty sure what you see in SS races is the racers downshifting hard and the rear tire can't spin as fast as the rider is going in a lower gear (lock-up?) so the rear tire slides out a little during a turn. I think that is also why you see them flicking the throttle constantly to keep the rear end from locking up during downshifting. Does the rear end 'wobble' as you are downshifting? Or does it 'wobble' when you back off the gas going into a turn? If it does at these times then I would think you are in too low of a gear for your road speed. Try a higher gear and definitely check out your ride for any problems like stated above.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Dont downshift in a turn.. that will get you hurt. know you entrence speed and gear before you enter it

·
Registered
981 Posts
what about upshifting in a turn? it's felt like its slid out on me a few times with im going from 1-2 mid-turn

·
Registered
456 Posts
BuRn__ said:
what about upshifting in a turn? it's felt like its slid out on me a few times with im going from 1-2 mid-turn
i usually am in 2nd or third into most turns. like i said judge your entrence speed and be in the proper gear before hand. i dont see a need to up shift into a corner or downshift out of a corner.

In MSF they dont recomend you shifting at all in a corner. makes the bike unstable, when you get experience then you make your decsision to shift. i actually dont

1 - 19 of 19 Posts