Sport Bikes banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I checked the rear sprkt on my 88 GSXF1100 today and noticed on a segment there's a tooth broken off about 1/3rd the way up from the sprocket to tooth-tip, i.e. at the base. Every other tooth for a segment of about 6-8" is missing! WTF? The chain and sprkt were replaced within 12K mi and it was a set from vortex I believe, though I don't remember if it's alum or steel.

Everything else looks ok - but what might have caused this?

Anyone have an idea?

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Either you got a stone or something caught up in your chain somehow and broke the teeth, or your chain deflection and/ or your alignment was not correct. At the very least you should check that everytime you do an oil change. I check mine once a week. At any rate, 12k miles is a pretty good amount of life for a chain, I wouldn't sweat it. Make sure your new one is properly lubricated!

·
Industrial superstar
722 Posts
yeh time for new, Average is right around 10 to 15 k for chain sets. Always change chains and sprockets together. They wear alike and an old chain will wreck a new sprocket and vice versa. Cause is just normal wear. Gotta realize the force that those components are under. Most likely the vortex sprocket is aluminum. It is the easiest material to cnc cut and it is the lightest. After you install the new set put a staight edge up against the chain and make sure you have good contact all along the straight edge. chains can tolerate a very little amount of mis-alignment but not much. IF you continue to ride take it easy. Teeth will come off like a domino effect if you beat on it. Eventually the chain will slip or come off. Very bad stuff, if you are lucky the chain will split and just roll off on the road. if you are unfortunate it will get piled into the back of your motor case and punch a hole.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
I don't think you should be using aluminum sprockets especially on an 1100. It it is aluminum, that could be part of the problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts