Sport Bikes banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The rear brake rotor on the 95 RF900R I just got is rubbing badly on the caliper mounting bracket. I bought the bike in non running condition to built back to a street bike. I know its an older bike but can someone give me an idea why this may be happening and what the fix would be? Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Could the swing arm possibly be bent? How can I post more pictures I've posted 2 and it says I'm at my limit?

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,890 Posts
No...

Disassemble the rear end, make sure the spacers are there and in the correct position, to me it looks like you're missing at least one of them. Also check the wheel bearings, I wouldn't be surprised if they are shot.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks I will pull the rear rim and check for spacers and check the bearings. I loosened the rear axle bolt so I can at least roll it around now. Is there a place I could get a exploded picture of the rear end?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm starting to wonder if those are the right wheels for the bike. The service manual list 3 different type brackets (different part #s) for different type wheels. I have not seen any RF900s with the gold orange color wheels. Something else I noticed is the front wheel has only a left side rotor and caliper. The wheels look like the right style but not sure if they are the right type.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
I sense a money pit , and an RF900 is not a money pit worth owning . Bimota or Borille money pits I can understand .. Old unpopular suzuki that nobody wanted even when it was new , send it for scrap .

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,890 Posts
Yep. get rid of that pile...

Sorry, but it just doesn't make any sense to fix it. As a matter of fact, you'll spend MORE money fixing that RF900 than if you were fixing a cookie cutter GSX-R, the parts for your bike are hard to find, whereas parts for a GSX-R are plentiful. Sell it to someone that is also deep in the hole with an RF900.

Trust me, been there, done that, you'll spend a load of money on a bike that is just not worth it. You'll feel really stupid once you realize how much money you sunk into that project and what you could have got for the same money.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
There are so many things wrong with that bike, the previous owner was a fucking moron. You're going to spend way more money on that bike than it's worth trying to fix the things you find, imagine what else you discover when you have to open that up. I hope you paid like 500 bucks for it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts