Sport Bikes banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First - I'm not posting this in the 'help me fix it' area because I'm not sure something is wrong with my bike... I'm just curious to see if I'm alone in the peculiarity. If a mod wants to move this, feel free.

Second - my deal:

I've been out practicing wheelies again and noticed the last two times I was out that, after using the brakes fairly hard for a while (slowing down after a small wheelie and then trying again), when the rear brakes get hot, they make a clicking/thumping noise.
It sounds like I've got a rock in the tire that hits my hugger with each revolution. I verified that there are no rocks involved and then had a friend listen. The sound is DEFINATELY only there when I apply the rear brakes (any range of pressure) and when they have been used heavily for a while. I park the bike for the night and no such sound the next day.
No obvious loose or broken parts.

Has anyone else noticed this phenomenon?
btw - '02 F4i. Stock rotors, stock brake pads. Low speeds.

·
King of Oilernation
1,237 Posts
Yes, no maybe- did you solve the problem? I've seen the "bump" before but do not know what it means?

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
YammyR1 said:
Yes, no maybe- did you solve the problem? I've seen the "bump" before but do not know what it means?
A 'bump' is when you reply to a post simply to get it up in the ranks of recent posts again.
People often type the word 'bump' when doing it because most forums require at least a few characters to be typed before submitting. Posting the word also tells others that you weren't adding anything, just trying to call attention to the thread.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Shizoku69 said:
Did you check/adjust/lube your chain yet?

I have checked/adjusted the chain and I keep it lubed.

The noise is only there when my brakes are hot from heavy use. They continue to function - just make the annoying noise.

Like I said, I'm not sure anything is broken - its just annoying and I'm curious as to whether anyone else has experienced this.

·
Registered
135 Posts
If you are definitely sure its the rear brake: check the mounting bolt on the rear rotor to see if they are all torqued to spec. Check the rotor is turning true, as well. Check you rear brake pedal to see if it has free motion and no binding/noise emenating from it. Check the caliper to see if one or both pistons or the brake pads are getting stuck due to trapped grease/gunk around the piston boots/ inner caliper.

Also shut off your engine after getting it hot enough to notice the sound. Get off the bike and listen intently to localize the source of the sound. It may be something as simple as condensation sizzling in the canister/S pipe, the sound of expanded metal cooling around the engine case, a coolant boil-over, etc...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts